Premed 101 Forums

Trying to rank the three campuses (Hamilton, Niagara and Waterloo). I plan on ranking Hamilton first (e.g. more opportunities, less commuting, bigger city, etc.), but am not sure on whether I should rank Waterloo or Niagara second. Both seem about the same distance from the GTA, so the 10 extra minutes it takes to get to Niagara isn't really worth considering IMO.

Any thoughts?

Trying to rank the three campuses (Hamilton, Niagara and Waterloo). I plan on ranking Hamilton first (e.g. more opportunities, less commuting, bigger city, etc.), but am not sure on whether I should rank Waterloo or Niagara second. Both seem about the same distance from the GTA, so the 10 extra minutes it takes to get to Niagara isn't really worth considering IMO.

Any thoughts?

I don't have answer for you but if you tell us what your concerns are maybe others can answer.

My concerns

1. Access to basic research, so hamilton is #1. I don't know how to rank the others for that

2. Maximizing the probability that the algorithm will give me hamilton. Again, I don't know how to rank the others for that :P

I'm pretty sure they say somewhere that no matter which campus you put it won't affect your chances at any other campus. 

On interview weekend they said it was like a carms algorithm, matching as many people to their 1st or 2nd choice. Perhaps that was simply symbolic analogy?

On interview weekend they said it was like a carms algorithm, matching as many people to their 1st or 2nd choice. Perhaps that was simply symbolic analogy?

Then you just rank in order of preference. Nothing you can do will increase your chances of getting your first choice.

KW is significantly larger than St Catherines. WRC is located downtown Kitchener next to the pharmacy students and with google and other tech companies next door.

KW will also have SIGNIFICANT construction for the next 2 years. Putting in an LRT. Cost of living is higher as well.

How do you know there will be construction for the next 2 years (source)?

How do you know there will be construction for the next 2 years (source)?

Cause we live there. Always see news about it in any newspaper the Region (Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, etc) This LRT stuff has been in the works for TIME. http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6119872-video-drone-s-eye-view-of-lrt-construction-through-kitchener-and-waterloo/. Going to take some time to build, 2 years sounds about right though.

I always thought it was they try to give everyone their first choice. And when those spots run out they give everyone else their second choices and if that runs out they give it to their third choice. 

I dont think campus matching is just like carms, if I recall correctly its a weighted formula based on your position on the rank list. people higher on the rank list are more likely to get their top choice. I think its something like if you're top 20, your name is entered 0 times in the lottery, if you're top 21-40 its once, 41 to 60 its twice, and then if your name is drawn you campus rank 2. 

I'm not sure exactly how it works but I do think your position on the rank list matters 

They said it was exactly like the UBC campus process ranking at the info session. Interview + GPA + CARS to determine list of candidates. Then they go down the list and assign you to the campus that you ranked highest assuming there is still space. Higher rank means it is more likely that there is still space at your preferred campus.

What I don't know is if Mac does wait-list offers in bunches (thereby giving you a better chance at getting a higher ranked campus), or does it as offer declines come in.

I dont think campus matching is just like carms, if I recall correctly its a weighted formula based on your position on the rank list. people higher on the rank list are more likely to get their top choice. I think its something like if you're top 20, your name is entered 0 times in the lottery, if you're top 21-40 its once, 41 to 60 its twice, and then if your name is drawn you campus rank 2. 

I'm not sure exactly how it works but I do think your position on the rank list matters 

They said it was exactly like the UBC campus process ranking at the info session. Interview + GPA + CARS to determine list of candidates. Then they go down the list and assign you to the campus that you ranked highest assuming there is still space. Higher rank means it is more likely that there is still space at your preferred campus.

What I don't know is if Mac does wait-list offers in bunches (thereby giving you a better chance at getting a higher ranked campus), or does it as offer declines come in.

If you rank a regional campus first you will get it.

What was explained to me in an applicant session was the lower your name is on the rank order list the more times you name is put into a draw. They then draw names (out of a figurative hat) and those drawn are allocated to regional campus.

That paints a consistent picture, different than the one I was told but my source wasn't very confident. Thanks!

As far as I know, if you're on the wait list, Mac will offer as the declines come in. So if you're next on the wait list, and the next decline comes from someone with a NRC offer, you will be placed in NRC.

As far as I know, if you're on the wait list, Mac will offer as the declines come in. So if you're next on the wait list, and the next decline comes from someone with a NRC offer, you will be placed in NRC.

Thanks (I have nothing against the regional campuses, but was just curious)

That paints a consistent picture, different than the one I was told but my source wasn't very confident. Thanks!

I am fairly certain about it (from info session). The CARMS reference the student presenter made was (i think) to lighten the mood. A lottery system like some others described doesn't make much sense since it could give a lower ranked applicant their more preferred campus over a higher ranked applicant.

Archived