Premed 101 Forums

People Accepted Under 20

Skip a year in elementary/high school.

Take post-secondary courses during high school.

Overload class schedule.

Take summer courses.

Any combination of the above could let someone get in at age 19 or lower. Especially if someone skips a year it shouldn't make much difference to their NAQ.

Obviously they go through the same application process/interview etc as us "older folk" so they obviously are competent and deserve to me there. But yeah I definitely needed all of undergrad to "mature." I'm very different from when I started to when I ended.

I am gonna try to attempt for an early admission, hopefully by the end of 3rd year in undergrad

In Quebec, 17/18 year old students who completed Cegep (2 years of college after graduating grade 11 from h.s.) routinely are accepted into medical school and make competent doctors. 

Wow! Are they accepted directly into med school, or into a premed program that semi-guarantees admission? I gather that in the UK you get accepted directly into med school from HS, but undergrad med ed is like a 6 or 7 year program or something.

Wow! Are they accepted directly into med school, or into a premed program that semi-guarantees admission? I gather that in the UK you get accepted directly into med school from HS, but undergrad med ed is like a 6 or 7 year program or something.

One of the french unis (Sherbrooke) accepts them directly into a 4 year MD program, and the rest are 5 years but you are pretty much guaranteed admission (unless yo fail terribly your first year).

Most places in the world is 6 year med degree straight out of high school. North america has revolutionized the ability to make as much money as possible from "education".

Totally agree with you! It's all about the money! Many medical schools around the world accepts applicant right out of high school

In Quebec, 17/18 year old students who completed Cegep (2 years of college after graduating grade 11 from h.s.) routinely are accepted into medical school and make competent doctors.

Most cegep students are 19 when they graduate. Cegep = last year of high school + first year of university

Direct entry from cegep has its pros and cons, more pros than cons I would say. Getting to shave a few years off of training helps make longer speciality programs more accessible to women wanting to have children before 35.

If I go into family med, I can start praticing at 25.

Archived