Premed 101 Forums

I Just Finished 1St Year Dental School At U Of T. Ama

Just a few more questions:

Are the quizzes/midterms/final all multiple choice?

Are there any essays that we have to write for marks?

No problem, glad to help!

Depends on the course. Some courses, everything is pretty much all multiple choice (example: microbiology), whereas for some courses, it is a mix between mc and short answer (example: gross anatomy). For some courses, it is mostly written answers, like in biomaterials. 

There is an essay for the first year dental public health course, where you write about any area of dentistry that relates to public health. 

No problem, glad to help!

Depends on the course. Some courses, everything is pretty much all multiple choice (example: microbiology), whereas for some courses, it is a mix between mc and short answer (example: gross anatomy). For some courses, it is mostly written answers, like in biomaterials. 

There is an essay for the first year dental public health course, where you write about any area of dentistry that relates to public health.

Thank you so much!!

Is there any study area in or around the dentistry building where you can stay after the library closes?

No backpacks, and no loupes. Sorry to disappoint ya

Awwww boooo, sucks that UofT dent doesn't give out backpacks. Both Western and McGill dentistry give out backpacks, why can't uoft?  :( (more of a rhetorical question lol, it's okay if you can't answer it)

Thank you so much!!

Is there any study area in or around the dentistry building where you can stay after the library closes?

I believe some students do group studying in the cafeteria, which is pretty quiet after everyone leaves. Other than that, I think most students leave to study at home or one of the libraries near Ryerson, or U of T. 

How well do you handle gore? Have you ever experienced disgusting dental procedures? And finally do you get used to the gross factor? (if you find there is one) 

The reason I'm asking is because I shadowed my dentist a few years ago, and I remember that some procedures were okay, while others I felt were really disgusting. For example, the procedure of removing the last few teeth from a patient for dentures. I remember the sight and smell of it was not very pleasant. So, I'm wondering if it's just me who can't tolerate it or if it's the same for others too, but they kinda just get used to it?

Thanks in advance

How often do you need to stick around school for the evening for extra lab sessions, events, etc?

How well do you get to know the faculty?

Lastly, students always tell us that they have plenty of time for extra-curriculars despite the 8-5 schedule. Where does this time come from? (Evenings?)

Thank you so much for doing this!

How often do you need to stick around school for the evening for extra lab sessions, events, etc?

How well do you get to know the faculty?

Lastly, students always tell us that they have plenty of time for extra-curriculars despite the 8-5 schedule. Where does this time come from? (Evenings?)

Thank you so much for doing this!

I believe most of the sticking around after school happens in 2nd semester, since that is when you will be taking courses like restorative and prostho. The evening sessions for extra restorative practice is completely optional. so if you feel as if you don't need the extra practice, or if you don't care too much and just want to pass, you don't have to attend. However, if you are interested, they take place 2-3 times a week from 5 pm to 7 pm. For prostho, I remember having to stick around for a bit in the senior lab to finish our wax ups. Other than that, you can go home right after classes, unless you are part of extra-curriculars like student government, where you will probably have to meet up after hours. 

I believe the key to getting to know the faculty is determined by your efforts. If you talk to your professors and ask for advice often, you will get to know them pretty well. However, if you are self proficient and don't talk to them, you won't get to know them very well. Keep in mind that I am only in first year, so my exposure to the faculty is minimal. 

If you want to partake in extracurriculars, you will have to make time for it, either in the evening or the weekends. As long as you can manage your time, it shouldn't be a problem. 

How well do you handle gore? Have you ever experienced disgusting dental procedures? And finally do you get used to the gross factor? (if you find there is one) 

The reason I'm asking is because I shadowed my dentist a few years ago, and I remember that some procedures were okay, while others I felt were really disgusting. For example, the procedure of removing the last few teeth from a patient for dentures. I remember the sight and smell of it was not very pleasant. So, I'm wondering if it's just me who can't tolerate it or if it's the same for others too, but they kinda just get used to it?

Thanks in advance

I still find gore in movies and tv shows kind of gross, so I would say I'm not the best at handling blood. However, I saw a gum flap procedure where part of the gum and surrounding jaw bone was removed, and there was a lot of blood, and I handled it well to my surprise! 

Other than that, I saw some blood while doing some exploring and perio probing on my classmates, and it wasn't that bad.

I am only in first year, so I haven't had that much exposure to procedures that have more blood involved, like oral surgery or perio. 

1) How difficult was it to obtain help for clinical skills (ex. you didn't know how to do something and needed guidance, was help readily available or was it more like you had to learn by yourself and get help from classmates if they were willing)

2) I'm not sure if you've started practicing administering anesthesia but if you've done it (or seen it while observing), is it difficult to get a grasp on it? I fear that I'll make something horrible happen since I may not be able to keep a steady hand and probably freak out (might be a personal problem for me but this is truly my fear LOL).

It eventually becomes oddly satisfying to rid mouths of disgusting stuff.

Yanking bombed out rotted teeth and scooping out globs of putrid infection become strangely cathartic.

I used to have a hard time with pus, but now it's just like "let's suction that crap out of there"

I have an absolutely insane sense of smell though, like ridiculous to the point that I can tell when certain patients walk into the clinic from a few rooms away, so some mouths are a bit overwhelming for me, but even then a heavy smoker or someone who just ate onions will gross me out more than a rotten mouth (I really hate cigarettes and onions)

It all becomes so normal very quickly, so don't worry about it. You might be grossed out the first few times you see something, but you'll adapt faster than you expect.

I still find gore in movies and tv shows kind of gross, so I would say I'm not the best at handling blood. However, I saw a gum flap procedure where part of the gum and surrounding jaw bone was removed, and there was a lot of blood, and I handled it well to my surprise! 

Other than that, I saw some blood while doing some exploring and perio probing on my classmates, and it wasn't that bad.

I am only in first year, so I haven't had that much exposure to procedures that have more blood involved, like oral surgery or perio. 

Great, thank you so much for your responses and insights!!! Really appreciate it

1) How difficult was it to obtain help for clinical skills (ex. you didn't know how to do something and needed guidance, was help readily available or was it more like you had to learn by yourself and get help from classmates if they were willing)

2) I'm not sure if you've started practicing administering anesthesia but if you've done it (or seen it while observing), is it difficult to get a grasp on it? I fear that I'll make something horrible happen since I may not be able to keep a steady hand and probably freak out (might be a personal problem for me but this is truly my fear LOL).

1) For the most part, help is readily available if you ask for it. For instance, if you are having any difficulties with mastering the different types of cavity preps for restorative, you can simply ask your instructor for constructive criticism, and most instructors are happy to help. You can also meet upper year students who act as mentors during the evening restorative sessions, and they would be more than happy to give advice, as well as tips on how to do well on the practical/midterm. In CCP, you work with an instructor alongside your classmates to practice things like probing, exploring and charting. The instructors were very helpful and supportive. I will say however that if you feel that some instructors aren't doing as good of a job, feel free to ask around for help, including your classmates and other instructors. 

2) We start anesthesia in 2nd year, so I have not had any real hands on experience with it. However, we learn about the different techniques in first year in gross anatomy, in terms of what anatomical landmarks to look out for when administering local anesthetic to block different regions of the oral cavity. My prof mentioned that some techniques are more difficult than others, while others are easier. For instance, the supraperiosteal injections (where you just inject the needle near the apex of the tooth root) is the simplest, while things like the inferior alveolar nerve block are more complex. I have seen some 4th years administering anesthetic before doing extractions, and they all seem pretty proficient at it. 

I can only answer your second question since I assume your first question has to do with U of T. Anesthesia is actually pretty straight forward! You just need to make sure you know your landmarks and then you're pretty solid. Doesn't mean that it works every time, even in expert hands - one major block (called the inferior alveolar nerve block if you're interested) has a 20% failure rate. All it means though is that you have to try again (as long as you're not overdosing the patient)

Hey again. How essential would you say it is to have a computer with good battery life (5+ hours)? Are there many places to plug in in the classrooms?

Also, how are the majority of classes taught? Are you supplied with powerpoints/notes ahead of time, and do you find yourself relying on your computer a lot during lectures?

Personally, I like the old print out and mark up method of taking notes but I think that may become a little excessive in a professional program so I'm considering investing in a tablet.

Hey again. How essential would you say it is to have a computer with good battery life (5+ hours)? Are there many places to plug in in the classrooms?

Also, how are the majority of classes taught? Are you supplied with powerpoints/notes ahead of time, and do you find yourself relying on your computer a lot during lectures?

Personally, I like the old print out and mark up method of taking notes but I think that may become a little excessive in a professional program so I'm considering investing in a tablet.

Having a computer with good battery life is definitely a plus. My laptop lasted me around 10-12 hours on a single charge, so I had no problem taking notes, studying in between classes, and browsing Facebook once in a while. However, most of the classrooms have plugs available, so you can charge your laptop while taking notes. There is one class room in the auditorium however, where there aren't that many plugs (and if there are, they are found alongside the walls), so you would have to come to class a bit early to get those seats. However, most of the classes held in the auditorium were held in the morning, so as long as you make sure to come to school with a full charge, you can avoid plugging your computer into the wall outlet in the morning, and just do so in the next class where plugs are more plentiful. 

If I remember correctly, all classes are lecture style, where the prof talks about what is on the powerpoint slides. Most of the times, the powerpoint slides are uploaded before the class, but there were times where either the prof forgot to upload them, or they attempted to upload it, but student services did not get the message or uploaded a wrong version. This was annoying, since it was harder to follow along and take notes. However, some of our classmates had old versions of the notes which were uploaded to facebook, which allowed people to take notes. Also, if the notes aren't uploaded, feel free to bring a usb and ask the prof if you can download it onto the usb before class starts, so that you can share it with the rest of the class. I personally take notes on the computer, so I relied heavily on my laptop. 

I know some people who still prefer the old hand written notes, and they still do pretty well. I just find typing on the computer a lot faster. Getting a tablet may be a good medium between typing notes on the computer and writing notes by hand. In fact, it is very helpful to draw arrows for certain courses, so a tablet will come in handy!

Hello DentalStudent, 

Thank you so much for this thread, you're great!

My question to you is, what other thing was the most helpful in you making it to UofT dental school other than your grades in your undergrad. courses and DAT? My dream is to make it to UofT dental school and I have the grades but was just wondering what else I need to have in my pocket to increase my chances of getting in! Thank you in advance!

Hello DentalStudent, 

Thank you so much for this thread, you're great!

My question to you is, what other thing was the most helpful in you making it to UofT dental school other than your grades in your undergrad. courses and DAT? My dream is to make it to UofT dental school and I have the grades but was just wondering what else I need to have in my pocket to increase my chances of getting in! Thank you in advance!

I know this question isn't directed at me but maybe I can help a bit. If you have good grades and you practice really hard for your CDA interview you will most likely get in. However, if you don't and you're really heart-set on UofT, then you can do a 1 year Master's and almost guarantee your chances for admission the next cycle. Grades are most important so I'm sure you'll be fine. The CDA interview is basically something which you can over-prepare for, so you have nothing to worry about if you start preparing early.

Good luck!

I agree with what AncientDentist said. As long as you have the grades and DAT requirements, the only thing you need to worry about is the interview, which can be prepared for in advance. I would suggest making a list of your life experiences such as jobs, volunteering, hobbies and determining what sort of experiences helped you develop characteristics important for a career in dentistry such as integrity, communication, leadership etc. You should use some of these experiences in your answers, especially during behavioural questions where you are asked to draw upon an experience to answer a question.

Also, this is not really part of the admissions process, but I would highly recommend getting some shadowing in the profession, as this is a huge undertaking in terms of finances and time, and it would suck if you realize that dentistry is not what you thought it was going to be,  

I can only answer your second question since I assume your first question has to do with U of T. Anesthesia is actually pretty straight forward! You just need to make sure you know your landmarks and then you're pretty solid. Doesn't mean that it works every time, even in expert hands - one major block (called the inferior alveolar nerve block if you're interested) has a 20% failure rate. All it means though is that you have to try again (as long as you're not overdosing the patient)

+1 def need to know anatomical landmarks

usually you go from the opposite arch's premolar area as a general guide but sometimes people have different anatomy so you might not get the nerve

also it's pretty hard to overdose the patient aha as some LA you can give 11 carpules of it (Lignocaine), generally 1 is plenty to numb them up for a good 2-3 hours lol 

+1 def need to know anatomical landmarks

usually you go from the opposite arch's premolar area as a general guide but sometimes people have different anatomy so you might not get the nerve

also it's pretty hard to overdose the patient aha as some LA you can give 11 carpules of it (Lignocaine), generally 1 is plenty to numb them up for a good 2-3 hours lol

Unless they are ASA II or more and you've messed up your IAB twice!!!

But in that case I guess you could switch over to prilocaine plain

I know this question isn't directed at me but maybe I can help a bit. If you have good grades and you practice really hard for your CDA interview you will most likely get in. However, if you don't and you're really heart-set on UofT, then you can do a 1 year Master's and almost guarantee your chances for admission the next cycle. Grades are most important so I'm sure you'll be fine. The CDA interview is basically something which you can over-prepare for, so you have nothing to worry about if you start preparing early.

Good luck!

I agree with what AncientDentist said. As long as you have the grades and DAT requirements, the only thing you need to worry about is the interview, which can be prepared for in advance. I would suggest making a list of your life experiences such as jobs, volunteering, hobbies and determining what sort of experiences helped you develop characteristics important for a career in dentistry such as integrity, communication, leadership etc. You should use some of these experiences in your answers, especially during behavioural questions where you are asked to draw upon an experience to answer a question.

Also, this is not really part of the admissions process, but I would highly recommend getting some shadowing in the profession, as this is a huge undertaking in terms of finances and time, and it would suck if you realize that dentistry is not what you thought it was going to be,  

Thank you so much for this! So is volunteering as important in dentistry as it is in medicine? Is it recommended to do research in the summer and volunteering at hospitals and stuff? Or would shadowing different specialties in dentistry be more helpful?  

Unless they are ASA II or more and you've messed up your IAB twice!!!

But in that case I guess you could switch over to prilocaine plain

ya....when u don't get it twice....maybe call ur supervisor??? Lol

it's hard when you don't have a DA and their tongue has a mind of its own as well....

Thank you so much for this! So is volunteering as important in dentistry as it is in medicine? Is it recommended to do research in the summer and volunteering at hospitals and stuff? Or would shadowing different specialties in dentistry be more helpful?  

Due to the fact that Western has changed their admissions process, by including things like an autobiographical sketch/personal statement as well as changing the interview format to one that is more traditional rather than CDA, I think it is advisable to pursue a variety of extracurricular activities that you are passionate about. That can be done through volunteering, research, sports, or jobs. As it is with medicine, as long as you demonstrate involvement of activities over a long term period, it would look better than just pursuing activities for the sake of padding your resume. Shadowing dentists and dental specialists is certainly helpful, as it would also allow you to apply to US schools where a certain number of shadowing hours is required for entry. 

If you were applying last year to U of T and Western, I wouldn't be as concerned about extracurriculars since the CDA format allows you to draw upon your experiences from a variety of life experiences that don't have to involve research, volunteering, but rather day to day life scenarios or schoolwork. But if you want to apply to other Canadian schools like McGill, where they do look at extracurriculars, I would recommend still pursuing things outside of the classroom. Who knows, U of T may also change their format. 

Dentistry just like everything else in Canada is becoming more and more competitive, so I wouldn't be surprised if more schools start asking for personal statements and autobiographical sketches soon. 

Archived