Premed 101 Forums

Best Speciality For The Future Of Medicine?

I'm not sure if this is even a residency option in Canada, but medical genetics. Coming from a research background, medical genetics is the way of the future. I know it has already hit mainstream with breast/ovarian cancer (i.e. BRCA1/2 gene) and I think it will only go up from here. Scanning for SNPs and other polymorphisms seems to be almost routine in research labs now, especially in the cardiovascular field. I don't know if this will fit into the domain of the physician or whether it will be delegated to another allied health professional. I see there are a few genetic counselor programs, but they are only offered at the big 3 (UBC, U of T, and McGill) and they only accept very few students (like 4-5 per year). I would be really interested to see how this plays out in the future!

EDIT - case in point, recent phase 3 trial launched for, "cardiovascular outcomes study of dalcetrapib in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and the AA genotype in the ADCY9 gene. Researchers at the Montreal Heart Institute (MHI), who will be leading the dal-GenE study, discovered the importance of the AA genotype in determining patients’ clinical response to treatment with dalcetrapib."

(link - https://www.icm-mhi.org/en/pressroom/news/dalcor-randomizes-first-patient-dalgene-phase-3-cardiovascular-outcomes-trial?nl_tok=NzkzODcwNSUyRjE1Mg==&nl_cmp=Q01QLTU3MzVlODZhODE1ODI= )

How do derm get more old people than geriatrics, you might get a lot of 15-20 year old teenagers worrying about their acnes :P

As a medical clerk interested in geriatrics, I think that both derm and geriatrics have a great job market!

Derm residents are pretty easy to land jobs for now, since the number of residency spots is so limited. 

But no one could predict the job market's future for specialties, it changes over in a wave of few years :rolleyes:

Definitely. Derm gets more old people then geriatrics, has good income, an amazing job market and an artificially restricted supply of new physicians by virtue of way too few residency spots.

Nothing involving an OR, that's for sure.

Given the current trend, by the end of my career, I should get about 2 OR days per year or so. But only for day surgery patients. It'll be 2 ORs per decade for cases requiring same day admission. All ORs will only be given a single scalpel handle with a previously used sterilized blade you have to sharpen yourself. You can take toilet paper from the bathroom for sponges. Anesthesia will be by the tried and true "frying pan to the back of the head" method. Administration will proclaim everything else "unnecessary to perform the operation".

What are the job prospects of something like GIM?

Are GIMs dependent on referrals from family docs if they were to run an outpatient clinic?

I assume the majority of GIM jobs are tied to hospitals and have call (?), thus making them not the best, but if someone were to do something outpatient based how would that be?

Family for sure! Medicine was a generalist field at first, then the hype around specializing came up and now there a greater need for preventive and primary care so hopefully back to more family med :) 

Plus, you see the shift towards less invasive and interventional work so that will be something to look to. I also see that anything with potential replacement with technology or outsourcing will be out the window too. There's a handful of people in our class that are set on cutting out unnecessary fields in healthcare once they enter admin work (if that works out) so it might be something that a lot of docs in the next generation are looking towards. 

Archived