Premed 101 Forums

Good Time To Plan A Wedding?

I'll be going to Mac in the fall and am trying to plan my wedding for next summer. Wondering if any current Mac students can comment when is a "good" time during the summer to have a wedding from a workload perspective? I would like to have the wedding before the August break since I would like to use that time for my honeymoon. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I've gone ahead and booked mine for the Sept long weekend, hoping that things aren't too busy, and delaying my honey moon slightly if need be.

I bet the best time for you would be the very start of the August break, since you might have more free time to take care of everything during the 7 week elective block leading up to it.

The 'August break' is actually one week off anywhere in the 8 week block you want. I'm taking my break the fourth week; I just scheduled my electives that way since I'm doing my first three weeks in the location I'm planning to take my vacation anyway.

so typically it runs from June 24th - August 21st. That is an 8 week block and there is 1 week of vacation built in and 7 weeks of electives. You can always do research electives which would probably give you the most free time. 

I looked on medportal and the sessional dates for the class of 2019 aren't up yet, but for your reference, the summer elective periods for the past few years were:

C2018: June 27 - August 19

C2017: June 29 - August 21

C2016: June 30 - August 24

Within that 8 week block, as has been mentioned before, you do 7 weeks of electives with one week of vacation, and you can take that week of vacation whenever you want. The only thing to keep in mind is that you're only allowed to do two 1-week electives during all of med school, the rest have to be at least 2 weeks, and it's a good idea to try to save at least one of those for clerkship. You'll have tons of time to book electives later on, so don't worry about the specifics. The general idea is that you can take your one week off whenever you want next summer. :)

As far as the last weekend of MF4, you'll have the Saturday/Sunday off for sure - there are no required weekend activities during pre-clerkship, and electives technically run Monday-Sunday (though if it's outpatient medicine Friday is usually the last day) once you start those. Frequently, groups can organize their tutorials to finish a day or two early and have a bit of a long weekend, but that's not a guarantee. The school is pretty reasonable though - I got married during clerkship and got a leave of absence approved for the weekend of my wedding. ;) PM me if you have any questions, I don't want to give too much specific personal info out publicly but am happy to share privately if you have questions about the process. 

Archived