Premed 101 Forums

Chances For Me

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post at this forum and I wanted to get your guys opinion on my situation.

I'm currently going into my thrid year of Aerospace Engineering @ Carleton Uni. currently holding a perfect GPA (12/12 on Carleton's scale) (4/4 on OMSAS) after second-year with full load in both years.

Currently 21 yr old came to Canada as a PR in 2013 and resident in Ottawa since then.

ECs: teaching assistant, worked at best buy for 4 months and on campus premedical society representative 

I feel like I'm missing out on the ECs since I'm a recent immigrant to Canada and didn't get the chance to fully find myself in the community here.

Would love to get your guys inputs and sorry if I've broken any rules for this forum 

Hello tayeb. Welcome to this Forum and welcome to Canada! You are doing extremely well in a challenging program and are to be congratulated. You want to google "CanMEDS competencies" to see what medical schools are looking for, beyond GPA. Mind you, NOSM does require a rural context also and it is very difficult to get in there without living in the are or similar areas. CanMED competencies can be developed from work, ECs and volunteering. And you want to demonstrate altruism by, for example, helping out other newcomers to Canada or joining Big Brothers Big Sisters and becoming a mentor and role model for a youngster who mayhave a single parent or be living in poverty or with problems. Being an active citizen contributing to your community while being able to demonstrate academic excellence carrying a full load is important for acceptance and a great preparation for medical school and beyond. We are here to answer your questions. I wish you every success. You are on track.  :P

Hello tayeb. Welcome to this Forum and welcome to Canada! You are doing extremely well in a challenging program and are to be congratulated. You want to google "CanMEDS competencies" to see what medical schools are looking for, beyond GPA. Mind you, NOSM does require a rural context also and it is very difficult to get in there without living in the are or similar areas. CanMED competencies can be developed from work, ECs and volunteering. And you want to demonstrate altruism by, for example, helping out other newcomers to Canada or joining Big Brothers Big Sisters and becoming a mentor and role model for a youngster who mayhave a single parent or be living in poverty or with problems. Being an active citizen contributing to your community while being able to demonstrate academic excellence carrying a full load is important for acceptance and a great preparation for medical school and beyond. We are here to answer your questions. I wish you every success. You are on track.  :P

Thank you Bambi for warm welcoming reply :). I had a question, do you apply after thrid year or it doestn matter ? like do you have to finish undergrad to recieve offers from medical schools?

Most apply when entering 4th year, although it is possible to apply in third year. In fact, regardless whether you make it in 3rd year, the actual experience of the application process is tremendously helpful as an important learning experience if you can afford the cost. And should you be fortunate enough to be selected for interview, even better; although my advice is always to treat it strictly as a practice run with no expectations, and occasionally a lucky 3rd year applicant receives a wonderful surprise. So, you can apply going into third year or entering fourth year. Read the requirements for NOSM very carefully to understand the Northern and rural context aspect.

Most apply when entering 4th year, although it is possible to apply in third year. In fact, regardless whether you make it in 3rd year, the actual experience of the application process is tremendously helpful as an important learning experience if you can afford the cost. And should you be fortunate enough to be selected for interview, even better; although my advice is always to treat it strictly as a practice run with no expectations, and occasionally a lucky 3rd year applicant receives a wonderful surprise. So, you can apply going into third year or entering fourth year. Read the requirements for NOSM very carefully to understand the Northern and rural context aspect.

Thank you for your response Bambi truely appreciate your time and help :)

Thank you Bambi for warm welcoming reply :). I had a question, do you apply after thrid year or it doestn matter ? like do you have to finish undergrad to recieve offers from medical schools?

Depends on the school. However, I would urge you to apply to basically any school except NOSM if you have only lived in Ottawa here, since they take 100% rural/northern students. 

You would potentially be a great candidate for other schools, pending MCAT and non-academics. Have you written the MCAT? I would say it's unavoidable since Ottawa will be taking it next year.

Try looking at medical school's websites. Everything you need to know is there

Depends on the school. However, I would urge you to apply to basically any school except NOSM if you have only lived in Ottawa here, since they take 100% rural/northern students. 

You would potentially be a great candidate for other schools, pending MCAT and non-academics. Have you written the MCAT? I would say it's unavoidable since Ottawa will be taking it next year.

Try looking at medical school's websites. Everything you need to know is there

I havent taken the MCAT yet planning on taking it next years summer. what did you mean by non-academics ? like ECs and Volunteering? 

Archived