Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Tuition Fees

I looked at some of the fees that UWO recently posted on my student account. Some seem reasonable like the health and dental plan (which seem pretty good, compared to other universities), others seem like it should be possible to at least opt out and some have no explanation. 

For example is it possible to opt out of the bus pass? And what is a "dentistry donation fee"??

Anyone else have any thoughts on these fees?

You can't opt out of the buss pass; some universities have this build into their tuition system (I know Windsor had/has the same thing). Consider it a system in which the less privileged individuals have a mode of cost-efficient transportation by offering the entire university demographic a deal.

Dentistry donation fee you can opt out of. But really...

Also this should be probably discussed on the Facebook group; not on here ^_^

Not sure if it's different for dental students, but I know that undergrads can't opt out of the buss pass.

And the donation fee is a tuition fee which goes towards the dentistry department (ie. money for upgrading labs, renovating classrooms, buying new equipment). I believe that donation fees can be opted out of.

You can't opt out of the buss pass; some universities have this build into their tuition system (I know Windsor had/has the same thing). Consider it a system in which the less privileged individuals have a mode of cost-efficient transportation by offering the entire university demographic a deal.

Dentistry donation fee you can opt out of. But really...

Well if it's a donation then it should be voluntary, not assumed. A $100 donation is not insignificant. 

Also this should be probably discussed on the Facebook group; not on here ^_^

You're probably right 

Not sure if it's different for dental students, but I know that undergrads can't opt out of the buss pass.

And the donation fee is a tuition fee which goes towards the dentistry department (ie. money for upgrading labs, renovating classrooms, buying new equipment). I believe that donation fees can be opted out of.

Seems like the increased tuition is what should cover improvements in the dentistry department 

Did you know that the tuition fees are 2/3 subsidized by the government? $100 (x4) is quite insignificant looking at the bigger picture. I'm sure that if they hid that in the tuition you wouldn't have even questioned it.

I felt a bit cheated at first too, but things changed quickly for me. You'll see where your money goes next year ^_^

Think of it as a tip if you wish... it's assumed; but still voluntary

Did you know that the tuition fees are 2/3 subsidized by the government? $100 (x4) is quite insignificant looking at the bigger picture. I'm sure that if they hid that in the tuition you wouldn't have even questioned it.

I felt a bit cheated at first too, but things changed quickly for me. You'll see where your money goes next year ^_^

Think of it as a tip if you wish... it's assumed; but still voluntary

thanks for a thoughtful answer

I understand what you mean by the donation being voluntary and I agree it shouldn't be assumed, but what I'm more concern about is the dental kit fee. Compared to UofT's dental kit fee, UWO fee's is over $5 000 more expensive, which is what is really making our overall tuition more expensive than UofT's tuition. In fact, our academic tuition is actually cheaper by about $2 000 and our ancillary fees are about the same. So what does that mean about our dental kit as compared to UofT's dental kit? 

Archived