Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts On The New Online Portion Of The Interview

On a side note, if this is in fact casper, do you think we will have to write it again if we already wrote it for other schools this cycle? I know no one has a crystal ball, but do you think it's possible we could just send our previous scores somehow?

For the sake of moving on and stay on topic, I was also wondering this as well.

One of the reasons why I think it may not be CASPer is because I would think that University of Alberta would have been an option to send our results to for those of us who already wrote the CASPer for other schools.

We'll just have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been delayed twice on CASPER, and having seen the kinds of very out-of-left field questions they ask (at least for mine), I am definitely hoping it isn't CASPER. Typing should not necessarily be a per-requisite to medicine, and doing webcam (or why not even voice) interviews seems way more sensible and would make the test much more secure. The reason they don't do it, is because it costs them too much money. I think I am going to bite the bullet and ask them what it actually is at this point ... sigh ><.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Thought I would update this post (sorry for not doing this earlier).

I just called admissions today, and they told me bluntly that they are only providing more information to people who get an invite. Not an unexpected response given the U of A admissions staff's dealings with me before. So we will have (~2 weeks or ~5-6 days prep if you need to pick the alternate date) to potentially prepare (Invites sent in early February) if it's CASPER. I will frankly be furious if it is, as then we will be forced to either a) hurriedly increase our typing speed in time to make the test if it is, and somehow be expected to pay for it. This level of secrecy, plus the previous post by the TheApiarist regarding unexpected fees makes me hopeful it is something else.  I am also faced with option B: spend time now learning to type fast, only to find out it's actually just a webcam interview, or a situational judgement test, or god knows what else. ><

Here is a helpful diagram of the new admissions process to get you started. Happy Studying!  =P

jumping-through-hoops.jpg

I sincerely hope it's not CASPer, seeing as the application for McMaster has already told me that I'm quite bad at it. Apparently UdeM is starting to implement CASPer too though, and Dal will be considering it as well for next year... I'm not too fond of this trend (goodness knows physicians aren't the fastest typists in the world, and shouldn't have to be), but it seems inevitable, as it would appear to be able to give schools a chance to evaluate the student's soft skills and ethics before arranging for in-person interviews.

For the sake of moving on and stay on topic, I was also wondering this as well.

One of the reasons why I think it may not be CASPer is because I would think that University of Alberta would have been an option to send our results to for those of us who already wrote the CASPer for other schools.

We'll just have to wait and see.

UdeM will be allowing students who have already written CASPer for another school to arrange to send their current results in place of writing the TECT (what they're calling the Quebec version of CASPer), so it's not impossible. The question is, can an applicant choose to write it again if they know the current score wouldn't be good?

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, seems like Altus Assessments will be handling the interview, i.e. the people who make CASPER, so that's pretty much decided. Boy, I really hate that they are doing this. No way of knowing our score on the test or how it is scored, just straight Yes/No. Yet another bloody hoop to jump through. Well I guess I will start learning how to type fast now then ><.

Archived