Premed 101 Forums

Rank List

12 hours ago, Birdy said:

Yes. If you weren’t ranked high enough to match to your first choice, the algorithm goes to your next choice and determines if you were ranked high enough by the program to match there. It repeats this process as many times as necessary to make a match. 

You match to your highest ranked program that it is possible for you to match to. That’s how it’s built. 

exactly - which is why you should simply rank every place you want to go in the order of preference completely and absolutely with no regard to how they would be ranking you. The algorithm is quite elegant in that regard from a certain point of view. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any element of chance to the algorithm? I was watching the video posted above, which showed a sample match with 3 candidates and 3 schools, and am wondering if starting the process with candidate B instead of candidate A could potentially alter the final matches. 

This should in no way affect our ordering strategy, but I am curious.

9 minutes ago, sea anemone said:

Is there any element of chance to the algorithm? I was watching the video posted above, which showed a sample match with 3 candidates and 3 schools, and am wondering if starting the process with candidate B instead of candidate A could potentially alter the final matches. 

This should in no way affect our ordering strategy, but I am curious.

Actually no - the algorithm will end up in the exact same position regardless of who starts first :)

Archived