Premed 101 Forums

Canadians Who Have Written Both The Cdat And Adat (Applying To States)

Hi guys,

I've tried searching on this but couldn't find anything, so I was hoping someone might be able to comment.
For those who have written both the Canadian and American DATs and have/are applying to the States, do schools even bother looking at the Canadian one if you've written the American version? Do you even have to send your Canadian scores to schools if you're sending American ones? (I understand that some schools only accept the American one or prefer it over the Canadian one, but I'm just asking in general)

I've scored well (21+) on all parts of the cDAT except for carving, which American schools claim to not look at, but I think my carving score might have put a flag on my application this cycle. It's too late to apply for the February DAT this year, and if I write the November one, the American schools won't get the scores in time. If I were to send aDAT scores and did well, do you think this compensates for my one low mark on the cDAT?

It's unlikely your low carving score has affected your application to American schools. I got an interview to an American school last year with a 14 on the MDT portion. I've never taken the American DAT so I can't help you there, but I wouldn't worry about your carving score. 

I applied to several American schools this year with a 22AA and 3.97 GPA (with the A+ = 4.3 calculation) and haven't received interviews from any schools, so it might just be an international student thing, but who knows. There's still time left in this application cycle to get interviews so keep your head up!

It's unlikely your low carving score has affected your application to American schools. I got an interview to an American school last year with a 14 on the MDT portion. I've never taken the American DAT so I can't help you there, but I wouldn't worry about your carving score. 

I applied to several American schools this year with a 22AA and 3.97 GPA (with the A+ = 4.3 calculation) and haven't received interviews from any schools, so it might just be an international student thing, but who knows. There's still time left in this application cycle to get interviews so keep your head up!

Thanks a lot for your insight.  I have very similar stats as yours and I also have not yet had a single interview.

There could be many factors, including what you mentioned about being international.  The only things I can think of are poor LORs, personal statement or ECs.  I've read other stories where there are some schools ( I dont know which ) that might frown upon a poor carving score but will still consider the applicant.  I'm definitely keeping my head up.  I hope you and I hear back soon

I personally know like 20 people who applied to the states with 3.9+ GPAs and 21+ DAT scores and have yet to hear anything. The only schools that I know some Canadians have interviewed at and/or been accepted are UDM, NOVA, University of the Pacific and Indiana State. This time last year, there were people who had interviews at Case, Temple, NYU, etc. so I guess they may have reduced their intake of international students (trump: "hire/take/make american first")

I personally know like 20 people who applied to the states with 3.9+ GPAs and 21+ DAT scores and have yet to hear anything. The only schools that I know some Canadians have interviewed at and/or been accepted are UDM, NOVA, University of the Pacific and Indiana State. This time last year, there were people who had interviews at Case, Temple, NYU, etc. so I guess they may have reduced their intake of international students (trump: "hire/take/make american first")

That could also be a possibility.  Never thought it could happen since the application cycle started before his first official day.  Only time will tell 

That could also be a possibility.  Never thought it could happen since the application cycle started before his first official day.  Only time will tell 

Also, it could be a combination of factors but I do believe that the pool of American applicants this cycle may be competitive/sufficient enough for them to fill their seats with Americans. Combine it with the sentiment that Americans should be put first and you have fewer international students being invited/accepted. I think some schools are also factoring in the low Canadian dollar as another reason to prefer Americans. I remember in the form they have a section to fill out about where your parents work and you get an employment category for them. Based on that, they may be inferring that some may not be able to pay for tuition without a large loan which they may or may not be able to receive and meet interest payments over the four years. 

Also, it could be a combination of factors but I do believe that the pool of American applicants this cycle may be competitive/sufficient enough for them to fill their seats with Americans. Combine it with the sentiment that Americans should be put first and you have fewer international students being invited/accepted. I think some schools are also factoring in the low Canadian dollar as another reason to prefer Americans. I remember in the form they have a section to fill out about where your parents work and you get an employment category for them. Based on that, they may be inferring that some may not be able to pay for tuition without a large loan which they may or may not be able to receive and meet interest payments over the four years. 

That's also true.  So I'm guessing you haven't heard back from them too much either?

I got accepted to Detroit Mercy back in 2012 and just graduated last year. I did take both the Canadian DAT and American DAT's.  I also had a low carving score (if I remember I had a 14?).  I recall when I had my interview at Detroit Mercy back in 2012, they never brought up my low carving score.  

I got accepted to Detroit Mercy back in 2012 and just graduated last year. I did take both the Canadian DAT and American DAT's.  I also had a low carving score (if I remember I had a 14?).  I recall when I had my interview at Detroit Mercy back in 2012, they never brought up my low carving score.  

Okay so maybe they really don't look at the carving score then.  I may not have heard back from schools yet because of some other part of my application (or because of the nature of the applicant pool this cycle).  I just wish I had an exact answer.  Thanks for the insight.

Applied to two schools a year ago and got two interviews (University of Maryland and Virginia Commonwealth). Accepted at Virginia Commonwealth. My stats were lower than yours @ndubs12 but my MDT was 28. If they claim not to look at it, they won't. You'll get interviews if the school accepts the cDAT.

Do you remember what date or month Maryland sent out an interview invite? Also, did either of those schools even bring up the mdt or manual dexterity in general during the interview? Thanks for the insight

Archived