Premed 101 Forums

ABS: Research and other?

I was wondering if the following situation would allow me to put this under research: I work in the healthcare, and part of my job is performing tests for research purposes. Although I am in no way directly involved in the publications, I do have a duty to keep the underlying "data collection" consistent. Would this be helpful if I put it under a research category or just keep it under employment?

Other section: Is adding being a parent lame on the application? Should I even mention it or completely don't mention anything about it? I spoke to a friend (who is finishing cardiology) who told me that medical schools frown upon someone having other commitments; they prefer to have you fully commit to education, research, residency, and don't want family commitments to hinder your path to becoming a doctor. 

Thank you for your inputs

I would just keep that under employment. The research section is mainly for publications, abstracts, conference presentations etc that you have been a part of. They even ask you to indicate the "title of the project" and "type of publication" when you fill this section out. 

I personally would include being a parent. I think it gives a better picture about you and to me it also shows your ability to manage school, extracurriculars etc while also being a parent which is a huge commitment itself (but its up to you!). 

2 hours ago, itsmemario said:

I would just keep that under employment. The research section is mainly for publications, abstracts, conference presentations etc that you have been a part of. They even ask you to indicate the "title of the project" and "type of publication" when you fill this section out. 

I personally would include being a parent. I think it gives a better picture about you and to me it also shows your ability to manage school, extracurriculars etc while also being a parent which is a huge commitment itself (but its up to you!). 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 2:56 PM, itsmemario said:

Good point about the parent. I think you are right about that.

Archived