Premed 101 Forums

classement prog medecine Usherb

You are stuck arguing endlessly arguing with people because, apparently, you can't read (which would come in handy considering your complaints). Out of those 150 pages, you're probably expected to actually read about 50 or so. If you haven't figured that out yet despite multiple people telling you that multiple times, I guess you can't be helped.

Regarding the quality of the references, they're not chosen because they're fun to read. They're chosen because they contain quality, peer-reviewed information that should not be information we find out was lethal to patients when research has advanced in 20 years. What seems more important to you? In a few years, you'll be reading the literature directly instead of textbooks. Now, if you thought textbooks were dry...

Regarding the flexibility, I feel like getting 2 or 3 day weeks most of the year is a big plus for flexibility instead of having to attend lectures 9 to 4 but hey.

23 hours ago, Vanity Smurf said:

LOL. It is my first post and you're certainly free to agree or ironically imply that you disagree with it. Nevertheless, I'm currently taking a break from my readings, so I'll take some more time to vent :) . I'll start with what I see as the good... All the tutors so far have been great. The upper years are generally very helpful. The clinical activities have been very well organized and are a pleasure. However, if I understand correctly, those are the things that have been passed over to us from the old curriculum. Now, on to the things have have sucked so far... There are no lectures. I repeat, NO LECTURES (i.e. Pas de cours magistraux!!!). We are supposed to learn everything on our own, then have a quick question-answer session where our understanding of the concepts is  supposedly verified by an instructor, and on we go. Had anyone explained that system to me before I got admitted, I would have certainly thought that the whole concept is a bit sketchy. I still think it's sketchy. However, despite all that, somehow we've managed to do it so far - mostly by working hard and with the help of notes from upper years (not always useful). It's certainly possible to study this way. But, is it the best way to study? I think not. It's a system that offers 0 flexibility and wastes hours of precious time on class discussions. The readings are bad - just plain bad. They're badly organized and badly written. The faculty seems to think that 10 pages of these readings would take about 1 hour to read. I think the faculty may have slightly overestimated our abilities. Even if I drugged myself silly on Ritalin, I still doubt I could manage 10 pages per hour. BTW, when I say read, I mean read and make notes, because just reading something is completely useless... We're not dealing with fiction here. These readings are about as non-fictiony as it gets, meaning that they're very condensed. Perhaps if the readings were actually chosen with care and had more pictures and schematics instead of essay-form descriptions of biochemical pathways... Seriously, would it have killed the authors to add more picétures and tables? When it comes to all the group activities (i.e. The APÉ and the various other acronyms that we have to deal with on a daily basis), there's just way too many of them. A lot of them seem unnecessary. In short, I completely agree with what 1997 had to say on the subject. Peace out!  

Won't arguet with you because I don't think it will lead to anything, but you do need to realize that at the end of the day, regardless what the structure of your school is, ultimately you are responsible for your own learning. When you will be a resident studying for your license exams, you will have to do 95% of the studying on your own, including what to read and when to read (the 5% being regular lectures and prep sessions and review exams). One day as an attending physician, you are pretty much entirely on your own for your learning. 

It sure is a hard transition, I am sure, and most preclerks need quite a few months to get used to it (me included). Therefore, it is normal to feel overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge thrown at you. Preclerkship is like drinking from a fire hose. You just can't learn everything like you used to before med school. Learn to skim through what is important, and what is not.

When I attended medical school, I participated in PBL and never attended the lectures. I was an independent self learner, and made decisions on my own what I need to know more thoroughly than other material. I did not suffer as a result, on the contrary it prepared me for the rest of my professional life. I ended up in a competitive surgical specialty residency and am a happy camper. 

Archived