Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone!

I recently submitted my application to the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. I am very excited! It is my dream to attend.

I have a question pertaining to the context score. I have an abundance of rural and remote community experience. Some of this experience has taken place within and near Northern Ontario. I was raised in a rural community (population less than 2000) outside of Northern Ontario but within the province. My home community is located within 40 minutes of a major city (population 400,000). I relocated to this city to finish my undergraduate degree (the long winter drives and occasional collisions with deer got to me....). I realize that the context score is rather ambiguous and misunderstood... Regardless-- in your opinion, will my context score be lousy? Thoughts?

Thank-you and good luck to all.

Hey nosm_d,

I just applied as well. The context score is rather difficult to estimate unfortunately. My guess is that it will be higher if you are from the NO and if not it keeps getting lower. Not sure by how much or anything like that. Sorry can’t be of much help. We are all probably wondering how the context score works exactly :( let’s hope for the best. 

When did you move to tbay?

thank you! 

Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, Dreaming_to_be_a_doc said:

Hey nosm_d,

I just applied as well. The context score is rather difficult to estimate unfortunately. My guess is that it will be higher if you are from the NO and if not it keeps getting lower. Not sure by how much or anything like that. Sorry can’t be of much help. We are all probably wondering how the context score works exactly :( let’s hope for the best. 

When did you move to tbay?

thank you! 

Good luck to you!

I remember seeing a conference poster where they presented some details concerning the context score, and how it evolved. If I remember correctly, it's a completely automated calculation which looks-up the demographics and relative "remoteness" of all the postal codes you entered. Remoteness is evaluated by looking at neighboring cities and how populated they are. I guess the smaller and the further away from anything else, the better. They use stats canada for that. Being from NO may have additional benefits, but I think it may be considered separately. 

Hi guys,

Thank-you for taking the time to reply.

Dreaming_to_be_a_doc -- I do not actually live in tbay, though I am considering relocating in the next 1-2 years. I did some digging and found a rurality index. It does not offer a comprehensive assessment of one's rural location/past.. but it may give some a vague idea of where they stand:

https://apps.oma.org/RIO/index.html

Thanks jul059 -- I realize from the statistics in previous years that my chances of interview/acceptance are slim (despite being raised in a rural community), since I am not from NO. I am going a little stir crazy from searching who has been offered interviews in the past.. LOL. I suppose all we can do now is wait! :)

The University cities in Ontario that are near 400K population would be London or Hamilton.  If you lived 40 minutes from either of these you would not be considered rural or remote in the eyes of NOSM.  It is not the fact that you grew up in a small village of 2000 people.  It is the proximity and access to medical services.  You can very easily travel 40 minutes routinely for medical care and you likely did so for anything require a hospital or even emergency visits.  

If you have something otherwise unique in your ECs related to remote communities (preferably in Northern Ontario) it may still catch the Adcom's interest.  Otherwise an interview at NOSM is a tough nut to crack for anyone in southern Ontario.

Archived