Premed 101 Forums

I assume your goal is to get into med school. For that, you most definitely do not need any research or publications from your research. If you enjoy research then by all means try as many types as you would like (lab or otherwise). I got involved in research late (end of 3rd year) and loved it. As a researcher, what you do as a volunteer is extremely important. In my experience, many MSc students don't even see the agency grant and program admin side of research so I think you are plenty involved. 
Your last sentence confuses me a bit. Are you not interested in doing research at all? Or just at your university?

In any case, I think that you are doing enough. Take on more if you wish to explore your options, however, if your goal is medschool and that is your reason for doing research then don't worry about it. Just be able to speak to your experience. 

Wholeheartedly agree with @ExercMed - do it because you like and enjoy it, don't do it for the sake of padding your CV. It is hard to accept this advice I know. I was admitted into med with no research experience - yes, literally left that entire section blank. Did I think it was a disadvantage when I applied - you bet ya. But, I have come to realize that being a physician also means having the life and soft skills of understanding people - I was able to convey that through the translatable skills that I had learned in my other experiences.

Your time is limited, as much as this is a journey to medicine, it is also your journey - make the most of the time that you have by using it wisely.

Archived