Premed 101 Forums

I'm IN, IN...

Guest Lynlloyd

Guest Lynlloyd

Holy Moley...I can't believe it!!!

Thickvelope...just got home from work. Haven't had time to read all threads yet but will read soon.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I'm justa shakin'

Guest Namgalsip

Congrats Lynlloid. I knew you'd get in. Hey, thanks for keeping us in suspense all day!!

Maybe I'll see you in August. Either way, I hope to see you at our gettogether!

Congrats

Nams

Guest macdaddyeh

Lynlloyd:

I haven't met you, but I recall a bit about what you posted concering your background. Congrats...looks like all that life experience has been beneficial!

Guest shelleyrn

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'bout damn time........we've been sitting on pins and needles..........i've sent you an email....YEAH!!!

Guest grandmellon

THATS AWESOME LYNLLOYD!

You must have blew them away! All your hardwork has finally paid off! CONGRATULATIONS! :D :D :D :D :D

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks for all you kind words guys.

It hasn't sunk in yet!!

I'm in contortions, all crossed up for those on waitlists.

Lynlloyd.

Guest Head Dawg

Way to go Lynlloyd!

I look forward to meeting you face to face in the fall. Don't worry about the contortions, they wear off after a couple of days. The smiles, though. . expect them to last the whole summer.

Hope to see you all in August! ;)

Guest Jbird

Hey gang!

Just received the brown fat juicy envelope! I'm completely dazed and confused! Holy @#%$! Lynlloyd you crazy cat you..... and fellow classmate! Congrats to all! :D

Guest shelleyrn

OMG!! Mail travels fast....all the way out in Victoria and I have yet to receive any news in Winnipeg....sheesh...that Canada Post!!!

I am so excited for you!!!! woo hoo........!!!!!!!

Guest jmh2005

CONGRATS to all on getting to this point!!

Lynlloyd...glad to welcome you to the MacMeds Oakville contingent, there are a few of us!!

Crossing my fingers for all you waitlisters...THE LIST DOES MOVE...BIG TIME...SO NO WORRIES THEY WILL CALL YOU AS SOON AS THE DEADLINE FOR INTIAL OFFERS PASS...

Take care all,

Jess

Guest PDSP

Lynlloyd:

Wow! Congratulations. I think you will be an amazing doctor (not to mention a great classmate to your fellow Mac-goers). So I guess this means it is the end of nursing for you? You'll definitely understand what is really meant by the "medical team approach". All the best.

PD

Guest Lynlloyd

Jbird,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Class mates in the fall.....you betcha!!

Now we've gotta send positive energy over to Winnipeg

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks SO much Jess!!

I can't wait to come on board.

You've been such a great support, I look forward to meeting you!!

Guest stargirl

Congrats both of you...that's amazing...

Just wondering what each of your backgrounds is...Lynlloyd, I remember reading (I think??) that you are/were a nurse?? How long were you a nurse for? What made you decide to switch to meds?

I guess I'm doing the round about thing...I know I want to get into meds but haven't made it in yet...so I've decided to give nursing a go as my plan B...not sure if I'm doing the right thing though - I wish there was a big flashing arrow (like they use for construction) that said "THIS WAY!"

Thanks in advance for any input you have...

stargirl

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Stargirl,

What I *am* is a little undefined right now...all I know is what I'm going to be. I graduated from UofT with an hon. degree in Human Bio. I then went to work as a research associate at a pharmaceutical company (that's what I'm doing now) and on the side I worked as a part-time teacher for a while. I've been struggling for years trying to find a good plan B only to continuously return to medicine as my one and only true desire.

I know exactly what you mean about that construction sign. I wished for so many times that someone could just tell me to go "this way". I'm just glad things worked out in the end and I'm sure they will for you too....no matter what you decide.

Nams

Guest stargirl

Nams...thanks - you should be a motivational speaker!!

I really do believe that things have a way of working out for the best (even if we don't see it at the time)...It's just a little frustrating at times to know what you want and have it be just out of reach (you probably know what I mean, having applied more than once, like myself) - and there are also days when I think...geez, I'm not getting any younger here...which is why it is nice to see that I'm not the only applicant out there who is over 25!

Again, thanks! Your words of encouragement and your own path to the place where you are today have been really inspiring!

Guest stargirl

Nams,

It's me again...are you from the TO area?...since it appears that I'll be moving there in a few months for nursing, I thought you might be able to tell me a bit about housing that's close to campus and / or transit and in a price range that I won't have to sell my internal organs to afford...

I'm open to all recommendations / suggestions...

I'm also considering living in a cheaper city and commuting but I don't know if that is the best idea...

Thanks again...you're a fountain of info...

stargirl

Guest IRNBRUD

You aren't alone. I applied first time at 25 and am now 27. I think you already have your roadsign. Keep following your heart.

I saw this quote a couple of years ago while visiting the Emily Carr exhibit out in Victoria at the Royal British Columbia Museum and it has stuck with me through the past couple of years. I think it was said to young Emily by an uncle as they watched a bird soar:

"You are as free...aim high and trust your wings."

Take care,

IB

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi there stargirl,

My background!!

I'm one of the "atypical" applicants.

BScN...currently working as a public health nurse but have worked in a variety of areas over the last 20 years.

GPA 3.84

Married and 3 kids!!!!!

Age - 40 something :smokin

First time applying to Mac. Only applied to Mac.

Feel VERY fortunate!!!! I have felt VERY humbled reading of others backgrounds who have applied!!

If meds is what you REALLY want.......Nursing MAY not do it for you!! You may feel your scope of practice restricted and, as time goes on, you may need more of a challenge.

Follow your heart and gut. Keep trying!! Don't forget, you scored big time to get to the interview stage.

Best of luck in the future and thanks for your congratulations!!

Lynlloyd.

Guest stargirl

newbee...i'm 27 (turning 28 in november!)...so not that old in the grand scheme...but definitely older than the majority of applicants, i would say (maybe not at mac, but definitely at other schools!)

i think when it comes to meds, age can have a big impact though...you've seen more, done more, been through more...and i think that the older you are, the more sure you are about what you want...more clear about your goals and values and all that jazz...it's awesome that mac recognizes that!

stargirl

Guest stargirl

Lynlloyd...WOW!! That is truly awesome!! Your kids must be SO proud of you...

Thanks for the encouragement...I've considered the possibility that nursing MAY not do it for me...for all the reasons that you stated...and I'd really like the opportunity to provide continuity of care over the long-term...that's very important to me...

Are the reasons you mentioned why you personally chose to apply to meds (needing more of a challenge etc.)?

I'll definitely keep trying for meds but in the mean time, my decision has been made for me - for the coming year, anyway...I think going back to school, in a health care field (even if it's not meds), may be just what I need...I love learning...and I really want to get myself back in a role where I am helping others in a tangible way (something that I'm just not feeling in my current job)...

Thanks again for all your help! I hope you will share your MAC adventures on these boards in the coming year!

stargirl

p.s. are you a Torontonian?

Guest newbee

I agree with you totally stargirl!!!!

BTW what did you do your undergrad in? What have you been working in up until this point? That's really surprising that you didn't get an acceptance. Did you apply to other schools?

Take Care

Newbee :)

Guest grandmellon

Hey Lynlloyd! Congrats again and thankyou so very much for the encouragement along the way, it has really helped :) Now at least we know we have someone on the inside ;) muahahaha :evil

Archived