Premed 101 Forums

Do you think there is a decrease in applications for 2018?

@Rehab4Life Yeah I agree it's good that Mac is changing! So now 2/4 english schools in Ontario have lower GPA requirements. I just feel like the incoming year is going to be an interesting mix since it's going to be completely based off the algorithm of this program. I hope the school has done their research. 

And I just meant that the people that have a subGPA in our range have more options, since before if you had a GPA less than 3.82, your only chance was Queens. So theoretically anyone between a 3.68-3.82 has a chance of getting into either school.

• 1 month later...

I dug up my rejection letter from UofT's OT last year and it said they received 957 applications. So maybe the number of applicants this year is slightly higher and since 40 additional seats are available in 2018, the level of competition remains the same, therefore, admission average is likely to be the same as last year. :/

21 minutes ago, OThopeful18 said:

I dug up my rejection letter from UofT's OT last year and it said they received 957 applications. So maybe the number of applicants this year is slightly higher and since 40 additional seats are available in 2018, the level of competition remains the same, therefore, admission average is likely to be the same as last year. :/

That's what I assumed!

Do you mind sharing your GPA stats from last year? I applied this year, but tbh I don't think I really stand too much of a chance. 

20 minutes ago, mccannjx01 said:

That's what I assumed!

Do you mind sharing your GPA stats from last year? I applied this year, but tbh I don't think I stand a chance. 

My ORPAS sub last year was around 3.62 I think. I read somewhere that minimim 3.7 is typically considered competitive. I went back to school and brought it up to a 3.76 this year. Fingers crossed. I'm so anxious!!

5 minutes ago, OThopeful18 said:

My ORPAS sub last year was around 3.62 I think. I read somewhere that minimim 3.7 and higher is typically considered competitive. I went back to school and brought it up to a 3.76 this year. Fingers crossed. I'm so anxious!!

That's impressive! With a 3.76 I would say you have a pretty good shot! 

I applied with a 3.53 this year, so I would say I'll be going back to do a bit of upgrading next year. The guy I spoke to at UofT said that I was "right on the fence." So I am holding on to a small sliver of hope! 

16 minutes ago, mccannjx01 said:

That's impressive! With a 3.76 I would say you have a pretty good shot! 

I applied with a 3.53 this year, so I would say I'll be going back to do a bit of upgrading next year. The guy I spoke to at UofT said that I was "right on the fence." So I am holding on to a small sliver of hope! 

Thank you so much. Don't lose hope. I had few courses significantly lowering my chances and had to get rid of them to bring up my GPA. I am waitlisted for McMaster's MMI this year with a 3.76..I'm guessing it's the similar applicant pool applying to all the Ontario schools..uncertainties are hard to deal with :S

On 2/10/2018 at 1:55 PM, Rehab4Life said:

Yes, GPA is important when joining a rigorous program, but where is the line? It’s not going to determine post-grad success, bc like you said it’s one of many factors, yet the massive emphasis is on GPA. In my opinion, even a 3.0+ is enough to be “well equippped” to complete an MSc PT program, in combination with other skills. I think it’d be better if schools incorporated interviews (not the MMIs) and lower GPA cut-offs, but that’s just my opinion. I’d rather have someone with great experience, great interpersonal skills, 3.5 GPA and can tell is super passionate, rather than someone with 3.9, not sociable, less experience and passion. Interviews can tell a lot about a person and their intentions. A lot of physios I’ve worked with in the past have said that people not at the top of their PT class (in terms of grades) became the most successful PTs, which I’ve always found interesting. 

I've also considered nursing, but here at Dal the ONLY thing they look at is grades and don't take anyone under a 3.8.  I've chatted with folks who did nursing at St. FX and work as nurses in halifax and they said a lot of the nurses from Dal are very smart, but don't have well rounded social skills or people skills. I think for nursing you absolutely have to have people skills and the application process should reflect that. 

3 hours ago, AlexFox said:

I've also considered nursing, but here at Dal the ONLY thing they look at is grades and don't take anyone under a 3.8.  I've chatted with folks who did nursing at St. FX and work as nurses in halifax and they said a lot of the nurses from Dal are very smart, but don't have well rounded social skills or people skills. I think for nursing you absolutely have to have people skills and the application process should reflect that. 

Outside of profession-specific knowledge, I believe other skills are necessary to be successful in any profession, such as interpersonal skills, business skills, etc. 

Archived