Premed 101 Forums

Failing Exam In Med School - What Happens

Preclerkship? Most schools allow a retake. If you fail the retake, you retake the year. And I'm talking about a big block exam. For very small stuff, schools usually will accomodate and make you retake in another way, rather than retaking the whole year.

And yeah, thinking back, in med 1, the vast majority of students were afraid of failing. Don't think you're alone! It's just a common sensation in med1!

Your school should have a policy on exam failures available somewhere. Most schools are trying hard not to fail you outright and will give you multiple chances to keep moving forward. A significant number of students fail one evaluation in medical school and many, many more have close calls or scares - completely agree with Arztin, you're not alone!

That said, life in medicine is far easier without having to deal with a failed exam - if you're feeling like you're headed towards a failure, reach out for help now. Talk with a counselor about the feelings of burnout you're feeling. Talk to the faculty running your course for some tips. Talk with your classmates to see how they're approaching your exam. Failed exams mean more work - better to put in that effort beforehand and avoid the fail if possible.

• 3 weeks later...

It can be difficult to keep up with the sea of info in M1/2. I am confident to say at least 5% of your class feel the same as you. I would talk to others and see what study strategy they use and learn from that. group studying and sharing of knowledge is also very useful.

Like others said schools will typically give you at least 1 try at a remedial exam of some sort.

Physicians tend not to talk about failed tests much. but it happens more often than you think. Even at royal college/american board level the failure rate can be >5%, and those are your senior residents! As another example the FRCPath failure rate in UK can be as much as >30%!

So in the end test failures are part of the learning process. You learn to deal better with this exam system, hopefully pass it eventually, and move on. Trust me the medical practice itself is much more than MCQs and OSCEs.

It can be difficult to keep up with the sea of info in M1/2. I am confident to say at least 5% of your class feel the same as you. I would talk to others and see what study strategy they use and learn from that. group studying and sharing of knowledge is also very useful.

Like others said schools will typically give you at least 1 try at a remedial exam of some sort.

Physicians tend not to talk about failed tests much. but it happens more often than you think. Even at royal college/american board level the failure rate can be >5%, and those are your senior residents! As another example the FRCPath failure rate in UK can be as much as >30%!

So in the end test failures are part of the learning process. You learn to deal better with this exam system, hopefully pass it eventually, and move on. Trust me the medical practice itself is much more than MCQs and OSCEs.

The Royal college exam fail rate can even push upwards of 20% in some specialties and years. Failing the RC exam is a big deal.

RC exam year was the worst year ever. I'm sure it took years off my life. You couldn't pay me enough to do it over again.

The Royal college exam fail rate can even push upwards of 20% in some specialties and years. Failing the RC exam is a big deal.

RC exam year was the worst year ever. I'm sure it took years off my life. You couldn't pay me enough to do it over again.

yeah...not looking forward to that part of next year. It looks and sounds painful. 

There has been a lot of work at the medical schools lately for dealing with catching low performance early - that often means tests that effectively do fail some people early on. They don't want that to actually crush anyone so usually do have pretty good systems for recovery. In a pass fail system in particular that is important - you want to avoid anything that makes you stand out in a bad way. 

Archived