Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
shematoma

Telling current program about wanting to transfer/CaRMS out

Recommended Posts

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm strongly considering a transfer to family medicine in the 2nd round of CaRMS this upcoming year. But I can't get an FM elective scheduled early in the residency year (before even the second round of CaRMS).  My program has asked why I care if my FM elective is early in the year. I haven't told them the truth. Is it ever a good idea to tell your program the truth about these things? What if they don't give me an early enough elective in the year? I feel it might be important to get an FM reference letter and have the elective on my record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your PD, are they reasonable? Are you 100% set on transferring or more 50/50? Would you only transfer to a specific school/program? If you are set, go for it and tell them, they might be able to advocate for you, reach out etc. If you might change your mind or still on the fence, would saying that you want to transfer now and then ending up staying affect your relationship with the PD or your standing in the program? These are factors to consider. You will have to tell them at some point because you will need a letter of recommendation from the PD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conventional wisdom states that your PD should be the *last* person to know about your transfer plans.  Having said that, your program asking why you care if your FM elective is early in the year may be their way of asking you if you're thinking about transferring, so you might want to be very careful in how you phrase your answer.

No advice for you, just food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 2:50 AM, shematoma said:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm strongly considering a transfer to family medicine in the 2nd round of CaRMS this upcoming year. But I can't get an FM elective scheduled early in the residency year (before even the second round of CaRMS).  My program has asked why I care if my FM elective is early in the year. I haven't told them the truth. Is it ever a good idea to tell your program the truth about these things? What if they don't give me an early enough elective in the year? I feel it might be important to get an FM reference letter and have the elective on my record.

Can I ask why you’re transferring? And from which program? Guessing IM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I think I will lay low for the time being, see how things go in a few months, and if I'm 100% sure I want to switch, then I'll give it my all. I can't switch in the first 6 months anyways, and I hope that in 6 months if I still feel this strongly about switching, I can press hard to get my schedule moved around if I need a pre-transfer elective.

14 hours ago, BeentheredonetheDAT said:

Can I ask why you’re transferring? And from which program? Guessing IM

I want a shorter residency, a better location, and found that later in my clerkship I really loved family. As a non-trad student, the shorter residency and flexibility, and being closer to family, have became increasingly important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's anything wrong with speaking to your PD. In fact, any half-decent PD could end up being a strong advocate for you. The key is that it's probably best to wait until after you start. I imagine you'll have a scheduled meeting with the PD in the first 6 months at which point you can raise your concerns. You might even reconsider your feelings now then. Your postgrad office probably can connect you with a counsellor (often a physician) who you could talk to about this too and provide some advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shematoma said:

Thanks guys, I think I will lay low for the time being, see how things go in a few months, and if I'm 100% sure I want to switch, then I'll give it my all. I can't switch in the first 6 months anyways, and I hope that in 6 months if I still feel this strongly about switching, I can press hard to get my schedule moved around if I need a pre-transfer elective.

I want a shorter residency, a better location, and found that later in my clerkship I really loved family. As a non-trad student, the shorter residency and flexibility, and being closer to family, have became increasingly important to me.

I would advise that you hold off to speak to your PD, he or she should be the last person to know about your intention to transfer.

God forbid that if you didn't transfer successfully to family medicine, your PD will always know that you are not keen after all, and you might need his or her LOR for fellowships or job opportunities later on.

Also, your best chance of transferring into family medicine is at the school that you are matched at, it is fairly difficult to transfer into FM to another school, let along out of province. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×