Premed 101 Forums

PhD Friendly MD Schools

Hello! 

I am wondering if there are any particular medical schools that are PhD-friendly or encourage this additional training/maturity in their applicants?  I have recently discovered that UBC seems to be encouraging this, and wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing any other schools that might be worth applying to this year!

Thanks!

Do you mean that you will be finishing your PhD as you apply to med? Or are you looking to do a MD/PhD?

I'm guessing the latter as you have more than one shot of applying to UBC's MD/PhD program (during med applications, and at end of M1). I heard UofT also allows some current med students to switch to MD/PhD stream.

If the former, either Western or Mac (can't remember) gives applicants who have a PhD an extra point or something for pre-interview score. UofA also gives an extra boost. 

3 hours ago, plansformed2015 said:

Hello! 

Yes, I should have clarified that it is the former in your question -- thanks for your response.  I did know about the +4% for McMaster and wondered if there were any other selection processes that specifically assessed those with completed graduate training. 

Thanks!

I was told by a doc on the admission committee that mac got rid of the bonus 2 years ago because it didn't change admissions. Ie: most of applicants who got the +4% would have ranked high enough to get in regardless.

UBC treats people with their PhD conferred at time of application as IP applicants (see here: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/)

UofA is vague about how it will impact your score, but the website implies that you can get the additional points prior to actually defending (see https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/academic-requirements): "Graduate Students- All applicants are subject to the same application requirements. Applicants who have obtained a Masters or PhD are eligible to receive additional points towards their rank score. For those nearing completion of their program who wish to have these points added to their score, please have your supervisor provide a letter as proof of successful completion once you have defended your thesis with no required revisions."

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 2:34 PM, plansformed2015 said:

I am wondering if there are any particular medical schools that are PhD-friendly or encourage this additional training/maturity in their applicants?

In Quebec, Laval and Montreal have specific categories for PhD grads. Your GPA can be a bit lower than other groups but I think publications and research experience need to be competitive. Out of province spots are quite limited though in both cases.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:21 PM, PhD2MD said:

I was told by a doc on the admission committee that mac got rid of the bonus 2 years ago because it didn't change admissions. Ie: most of applicants who got the +4% would have ranked high enough to get in regardless.

I thought they got rid of it and brought it back very shortly after?

36 minutes ago, plansformed2015 said:

Congrats on getting into McMaster in 2016 (and being almost done now!) PhD2MD!  Did you complete your PhD before applying to MD?  If so, did you apply to any other schools?  Did you find that your PhD work was relevant (benefit/detriment) during the interviews?  

I defended in September 2016, a few weeks into the MD. I interviewed at Toronto, McMaster, Western & Queens. I got in to Toronto, McMaster, Western & Queens. I'm sure the PhD helped whenever I got to talk about it. I don't think the specific content of what molecules I studied helped, but being older and just having more life experience/time to reflect definitely helped. Happy to answer any other questions.

• 2 years later...
On 7/9/2018 at 1:06 PM, TheSalmonMousse said:

In Quebec, Laval and Montreal have specific categories for PhD grads. Your GPA can be a bit lower than other groups but I think publications and research experience need to be competitive. Out of province spots are quite limited though in both cases.

Hi SalmonMousse,

Thank you for your answer! Do you know if as a PhD candidate they look into the BSc, MSc or PhD grades for the admission? Also, by a competitive research dossier what does that imply? Ex.: How many research projects/articles should I have led or been a part of? Ect.

Thank you,

Have a great day!

2 hours ago, Pharmagirl said:

Do you know if as a PhD candidate they look into the BSc, MSc or PhD grades for the admission? Also, by a competitive research dossier what does that imply? Ex.: How many research projects/articles should I have led or been a part of? Ect.

Hello,

regarding the PhD contingents in Quebec schools (Quebec city, Montreal and Sherbrooke), it is difficult to say exactly what is a competitive research productivity, you can write to me if you want to talk, I got in this year. They do not use grades for MSc or PhD for the academic 'cote de rendement', but they do give you bonus for every complete degree. 

Of note, you need to be a Quebec resident to be considered in this contingent

On 9/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, Al22 said:

Hello,

regarding the PhD contingents in Quebec schools (Quebec city, Montreal and Sherbrooke), it is difficult to say exactly what is a competitive research productivity, you can write to me if you want to talk, I got in this year. They do not use grades for MSc or PhD for the academic 'cote de rendement', but they do give you bonus for every complete degree. 

Of note, you need to be a Quebec resident to be considered in this contingent

Hello Al22,

Thank you so much for your answer! Yes, I’m a Québec resident! I would love to talk more with you if it’s possible. I’m very inspired by your profile And I want to know more! :D  Please let me know how you’d like to discuss further.

Talk to your soon!