Premed 101 Forums

PLEASE HELP. 3.49 2Y GPA, 127 CARS. 5th year, MSc or international?

Tough situation.   Your GPA which is most important to most schools is hurting you.  

Ontario school comments only:

You would need +3.95 in 4th year to reach a competitive level for Ontario 2 yr schools (Queens/Ottawa/UWO).

Forget MAC as your cumulative GPA will never make it for an OOP interview (only 60 out of province).

An MCAT rewrite would really just to unlock Western maybe - but if you did not meet the 3/5 rule there is no point.

I think I would wait to see 4th year GPA and then maybe do a fifth year undergrad.  A one year masters does very little for Ontario schools.   

@Meridian Thank you for your insight! From Ontario's perspective, do you think a third MCAT rewrite is necessary? I feel like I might be able to work with it if I improve my GPA - but if it is equally possible to get in with my current low GPA with a rewrite for a higher MCAT, that would take less time & money and might be more efficient.

3 hours ago, needsomeguidance said:

@Meridian Thank you for your insight! From Ontario's perspective, do you think a third MCAT rewrite is necessary? I feel like I might be able to work with it if I improve my GPA - but if it is equally possible to get in with my current low GPA with a rewrite for a higher MCAT, that would take less time & money and might be more efficient.

MCAT re-write will not help you in Ontario. 

• You already meet MCAT thresholds for UofT and probably OK for Queens.   
  • You will not be able to apply to MAC with your cGPA as an OOP.   
  • You did not meet 3/5 rule for weighting at UWO so no point in trying to hit the needed 129 CARS if you cannot use GPA weighting. 
  • Ottawa does not use MCAT -  they do use a 3 year GPA weighting and have very high +3.9x GPA expectations.
  • NOSM - did you grow up in a rural Northern community.  If no, then no point in applying.

A 3rd MCAT could damage chance of applying to USA should you be considering going that route.

You need to raise your GPA before all else.

For now, focus on getting a higher GPA. MCAT wont mean much without a higher GPA, and a Masters will do little good with tha GPA as well. Might want to look into doing an accelerated 2 year degree only if you're interested in the career, and can honestly tackle the reasons why you did not do as well in your first degree. Otherwise, finish your fourth year strong (if you are in fourth year), aim for as close to 4 as you can possibly get, and do the same next year. At this point, if you do extremely well in 4/5th years, then schools like Queen's and Ottawa might be open to you. So in summary, forget about spending $ on mcat, fix that GPA.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, needsomeguidance said:

I'm also hoping to get input on international schooling given my stats :unsure:

I think you should do a 5th year just to bump up your  GPA as much as possible. Schools which look at your last 2/best 2 years are probably your best shot..  I would not start to consider going outside of Canada unless you apply for around 3 or 4 application cycles. As far as international schools go, medical schools in Ireland or Australia/New Zealand are a bit easier to get into. THey are a bit less competitive in terms of GPA.  I'm not sure on specifics though you should check the GPA requirements with Atlantic Bridge and stuff.  However honestly, you really need to think if you're willing to take the risk of being an IMG. The last I checked, Australian IMG's have the best match rates in Canada with a little over 50% according to OzTREKK. That is a significant gamble and the tuition is high +you need to account for living expenses. You're looking at 300k easily. Now the alternative is staying in the country of graduation but that is becoming increasingly more difficult and unless you have an EU passport or dual citizenship or something, it's not really something you should count on. There is lots of information on this topic but the main point you need to know is going international carries risks, it is incredibly expensive, and you need to work even harder. The worst case scenario is you're stuck in limbo. You finish school, can't match, and you basically just dropped $250,000 or worse euros, on a useless medical degree. This happens to some people. 

You could easily get into international schools in australia, ireland etc. given your stats. Just be aware that if you do go, you will have to work hard, but not only that you probably will have to accept family medicine, peds, psych in any location in order to match to Canada. The US or staying there is an option, but be sure you are willing to make that commitment before going. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, Edict said:

You could easily get into international schools in australia, ireland etc. given your stats. Just be aware that if you do go, you will have to work hard, but not only that you probably will have to accept family medicine, peds, psych in any location in order to match to Canada. The US or staying there is an option, but be sure you are willing to make that commitment before going. 

Your input is much appreciated! Since I know little about international schooling - why those specialties specifically?

As well, is it just as hard to get into Canada from the US as it is to come back from places like Aus/Ireland/etc.?

17 minutes ago, needsomeguidance said:

Sorry one more thing - is there a specific financial requirement to get loans for international schooling? This might sound dumb haha but I really don't know anything about the process.

usually they require some one with assets and income to co-sign the loan etc. Each school will have different rules as to when payments need to be made and how much they are etc. 

2 hours ago, needsomeguidance said:

Your input is much appreciated! Since I know little about international schooling - why those specialties specifically?

As well, is it just as hard to get into Canada from the US as it is to come back from places like Aus/Ireland/etc.?

Because they are in need, whereas the other specialties aren't in need around the country.

No, its easier from the US, you can apply for local spots whereas if u go to Aus Ire or any other country u apply for special foreign spots, which are limited in specialty and often come with return of service agreements making you sure in a rural area for a certain number of years after you graduate. 

5 hours ago, Edict said:

Because they are in need, whereas the other specialties aren't in need around the country.

No, its easier from the US, you can apply for local spots whereas if u go to Aus Ire or any other country u apply for special foreign spots, which are limited in specialty and often come with return of service agreements making you sure in a rural area for a certain number of years after you graduate. 

Thanks @Edict . I'll exhaust my Canadian options then apply to US & perhaps beyond as well. Fingers crossed that Canada will take me sometime - I'd love to keep living here haha

Archived