Premed 101 Forums
notagunner

I didn't give my referees any sort of cards or gifts to say thanks, should I do this? both are professors at my university who I worked closely with

I graduated but I'm thinking of dropping by their offices to give them cards maybe with a gift card for Tims. I hate giving cards it's so awkward but I feel like it would be a good way of keeping a connection with them since I will not be in contact with them any time soon. 

Also, please give me advice on what to actually write in a card like this. And what's a good amount for a gift card? Is $20 okay?

Thanks

I think it would be nice to express your thanks in writing, either with a paper card or an email, at the very least (just thank them for the time and effort they invested in your training/career and say how much you appreciated their support). A gift card from a student to a professor might be a bit awkward; if you worked closely with them, perhaps you could come up with an idea for a more personalized gift they might enjoy, but I wouldn't say one is necessary.