Premed 101 Forums

Looking to talk to older non trads

Realize that many successful candidates do not enter medical school right after undergrad . It can be after a 2nd undergrad, after a masters or PhD,  or time off working.  Many candidates take multiple years of applying as well.  You are not alone  or  non-traditional in any way to take a few extra years to get there.

11 minutes ago, Meridian said:

Realize that many successful candidates do not enter medical school right after undergrad . It can be after a 2nd undergrad, after a masters or PhD,  or time off working.  Many candidates take multiple years of applying as well.  You are not alone  or  non-traditional in any way to take a few extra years to get there.

May I pm you to talk about this a bit more?

On 11/14/2019 at 1:24 PM, Thethinofit said:

If i do pursue medicine, I’ll be a lot older when I do apply because I’ll have to do a second undergrad

How old is older? If "older" means under 30, it's not old and you'll be pretty close to the average age in med school. If you mean mid-thirties or more, it's still totally feasible if you're willing to go all in and accept the sacrifices that comes with trying to get into med school. I was in my late thirties when I got into med school. Feel free to reach out! 

6 hours ago, medschool40&cool said:

How old is older? If "older" means 28-29 or less, it's not old and you'll be pretty close to the average age in med school. If you mean mid-thirties or more, it's still totally feasible if you're willing to go all in and accept the sacrifices that comes with trying to get into med school. I was in my late thirties when I got into med school. Feel free to reach out! 

This is so encouraging. Do you mind if I message you? It would mean a lot. This process gets lonely when you're older. Sometimes my age makes me feel so rushed, especially seeing everyone already settled into their careers. 

Thanks for this forum because I, too, have struggled relentlessly with wavering back and forth on the "I'm too old" train.  It's been a debilitating thought at some points.

I'm currently 30, looking to apply to NOSM in the next application cycle, and completing pre-MCAT sciences one at a time (only on first one!) while working full time so I can apply to other schools if needed once MCAT is done.

I've worked in the health care field for 8+ years, so I'm hoping that experience will help too!

I think the main theme here is, if you want it, GO FOR IT, and don't let your brain convince you that you can't because of your age, lol.

• 8 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, Dian Cecht said:

If I get in ill be in my forties.. all in good time friends :)

I'm almost 31 but I've told myself even if I'm in my 40s I'm going to get in... just gotta keep working towards it!  I decided not to apply to NOSM this next cycle and instead do a 2 year masters program while studying for the MCAT and apply all over after that :)

Wishing you the best on your journey and always here to chat/support fellow non trads!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 30 and have been working as a teacher for the past 7 years. My initial undergrad was in Biological Sciences, but my GPA is not competitive for med school. I'm considering going back to university for a 2nd undergraduate degree with the goal of completing a 2-year honours equivalent in order to apply to med schools with a competitive GPA. I've read in other posts that Western, McGill, Queen's and Ottawa will look solely at my 2nd undergrad GPA. Is there anyone on here who is currently or has taken the second undergraduate degree route to get into med school? I've read that your 2nd degree must be in a different subject area than your first. Science has always been my passion and I would prefer to study something in that domain. Is this possible given that my first degree is an Honours in Biological Sciences? Thanks! 

On 8/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, Medschoolhope said:

I'm 30 and have been working as a teacher for the past 7 years. My initial undergrad was in Biological Sciences, but my GPA is not competitive for med school. I'm considering going back to university for a 2nd undergraduate degree with the goal of completing a 2-year honours equivalent in order to apply to med schools with a competitive GPA. I've read in other posts that Western, McGill, Queen's and Ottawa will look solely at my 2nd undergrad GPA. Is there anyone on here who is currently or has taken the second undergraduate degree route to get into med school? I've read that your 2nd degree must be in a different subject area than your first. Science has always been my passion and I would prefer to study something in that domain. Is this possible given that my first degree is an Honours in Biological Sciences? Thanks! 

Hi!!! msg me i am literally in the same boat as you!! 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:19 AM, hiheyhi said:

This is so encouraging. Do you mind if I message you? It would mean a lot. This process gets lonely when you're older. Sometimes my age makes me feel so rushed, especially seeing everyone already settled into their careers. 

I feel you!!! 

On 8/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, Medschoolhope said:

Message me too if you'd like to connect! I'm almost 27 and about to start a second undergrad this Sept! I have done some research on this topic before enrolling and would love to share, but ultimately a second undergrad in Science is up to the discretion of your home university/university you're applying to based on the courses you've already completed. The programs have to be different (e.g. Bio vs Life Science vs Environmental Science, etc.). Good luck!!