Premed 101 Forums

McGill MD CM IP Pre-Interview Rejections

innocentius

I talked with a few people since the invites came out yesterday who ranked much higher than cutoffs last year but who were unexpectedly refused yesterday, including myself. We were all IP applicants. Most of us received invites last year or before, have 3.90+ GPAs and ranked in the top 100 in the CV portion last year. As for myself, I would have to have fallen over 100 ranks not to receive an invite if the numbers stayed roughly in the same range as last year. The common thread seems to be our Proof of Residency  was never updated to Quebec Resident and our Minerva status just shows "Refused".

Were there any others with very high stats who got rejected from McGill yesterday, including those of you who received invites in previous years? If so, it is likely there was an error on their part and it would be in our best interests  to collectively reach out to them to bring it to their attention and request for reconsideration. Please feel free to post or PM me if you wanted to discuss further.

I'm in a similar situation as an IP applicant. I was wait-listed last year for an interview and my CV has significantly improved since then (e.g., first author publication, clinical research coordination, working with a program director at McGill). It's definitely confusing. As for the residency theory, on my Minerva application under 'notes' for the residency confirmation it says "RD". I'm unsure what that means.

I am an IP with 4.0 GPA and was refused too but in my case it might be because of my Casper (that I thought went okay) and my CV that is not that great (I only just started volunteering this summer not related to the medical field, did 2 summer research internships during my BSc, received 2 scholarships for my grades during my undergrad and some other not that special things). As for my Proof of Residency, it says it was verified ("Verified GL" under note).

Sorry for the outcome everyone. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

13 hours ago, innocentius said:

I talked with a few people since the invites came out yesterday who ranked much higher than cutoffs last year but who were unexpectedly refused yesterday, including myself. We were all IP applicants. Most of us received invites last year or before, have 3.90+ GPAs and ranked in the top 100 in the CV portion last year. As for myself, I would have to have fallen over 100 ranks not to receive an invite if the numbers stayed roughly in the same range as last year. The common thread seems to be our Proof of Residency  was never updated to Quebec Resident and our Minerva status just shows "Refused".

Were there any others with very high stats who got rejected from McGill yesterday, including those of you who received invites in previous years? If so, it is likely there was an error on their part and it would be in our best interests  to collectively reach out to them to bring it to their attention and request for reconsideration. Please feel free to post or PM me if you wanted to discuss further.

Thanks for starting this. Sorry for the outcome everyone. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

7 hours ago, mcgoat said:

I'm in a similar situation as an IP applicant. I was wait-listed last year for an interview and my CV has significantly improved since then (e.g., first author publication, clinical research coordination, working with a program director at McGill). It's definitely confusing. As for the residency theory, on my Minerva application under 'notes' for the residency confirmation it says "RD". I'm unsure what that means.

RD is the initials of the person that verified your application. Sorry for the outcome. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). Maybe you met Casper cut-off so your residency status was verified, but then you fell short in the academics and or CV evaluation. This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

4 hours ago, p1kerman said:

I am an IP with 4.0 GPA and was refused too but in my case it might be because of my Casper (that I thought went okay) and my CV that is not that great (I only just started volunteering this summer not related to the medical field, did 2 summer research internships during my BSc, received 2 scholarships for my grades during my undergrad and some other not that special things). As for my Proof of Residency, it says it was verified ("Verified GL" under note).

Sorry for the outcome. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process), so maybe you met Casper cut-off which led to your residency status getting verified, but then you fell short in the academics and or CV evaluation. This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

5 hours ago, MEDusa said:

I was worried about this too since now they merged NTP applicants with the regular stream which would make it more competitive. 

Did you get the invite? I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process), so maybe you met Casper cut-off which led to your residency status getting verified. This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this Casper pre-screen. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

2 hours ago, Unstoppable said:

Sorry for the outcome. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process), so maybe you met Casper cut-off which led to your residency status getting verified, but then you fell short in the academics and or CV evaluation. This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

Did you get the invite? I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process), so maybe you met Casper cut-off which led to your residency status getting verified. This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this Casper pre-screen. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

Yes got an invite. 

It would actually make sense.

Last time I ranked 33 on Casper, 90 on academic criteria and 10 on CV. 

My science pre-req are very low which keeps dragging me down :(

I never saw that Casper was part of the pre-screening as well. When was that updated? Also, the pre-screening does not even make sense really for the IP contingent. They say that 4-6 times the applicants they intend to interview in a particular applicant category pass the initial pre-screening which is everyone if you go by statistics from the last several years (~200-275 IP interviewed, <1000 IP applicants). 

1 hour ago, jbmtl said:

I never saw that Casper was part of the pre-screening as well. When was that updated? Also, the pre-screening does not even make sense really for the IP contingent. They say that 4-6 times the applicants they intend to interview in a particular applicant category pass the initial pre-screening which is everyone if you go by statistics from the last several years (~200-275 IP interviewed, <1000 IP applicants). 

Your math makes sense. This further complicates matters as it seems approximately all IP applicants get full file review based on those numbers. Makes me wonder whether everyone gets a rank for CV when rankings come out. If everyone does indeed get the CV rank, then every IP file probably gets full file evaluation and really further complicates matters. What then explains this seemingly pre-screening effect?

This is all such bs. There is no transparency. In the invites thread, I see people with GPAs between 3.5-3.8 getting invites whereas people with 3.9+  are getting rejected. Since GPA is 70% of their formula, it would be very hard for those people to be competitive against high GPAs.   Can they shed some light on their formula since it doesn't seem like they are following what they have stated on their website. Their is no rhyme or reason. Just speculating but they may have evaluated Casper non-linearly. Our best chance of getting ourselves heard is reaching out to them en masse.

9 hours ago, Aegean said:

This is all such bs. There is no transparency. In the invites thread, I see people with GPAs between 3.5-3.8 getting invites whereas people with 3.9+  are getting rejected. Since GPA is 70% of their formula, it would be very hard for those people to be competitive against high GPAs.   Can they shed some light on their formula since it doesn't seem like they are following what they have stated on their website. Their is no rhyme or reason. Just speculating but they may have evaluated Casper non-linearly. Our best chance of getting ourselves heard is reaching out to them en masse.

GPA is 63% of the formula. The other 7% is academic context. A lower GPA might get a high score for academic context if it is from an extremely difficult program for example or maybe a professional program. If a student is pursuing a masters or PhD this might also give them a boost in terms of academic context. On the other hand a 3.90 in a program they deem to be of lower caliber (or maybe with extremely high class averages?) might have a lower academic context score.

I think the truth is that if you have a 3.90+ you don't have to do as well on the Casper to be given an interview but you still need to have a decent enough score. If you have a lower GPA then you have to make up for it with the non-academic factors. There was one person who mentioned they were "waitlisted for interview" with a lower GPA, however this person mentioned they have been in the military for 7 years and worked as a nurse for 3 and submitted an extenuating circumstances form, which could have affected the cGPA they applied with. Other than this specific case I have not seen an actual invite from anyone below 3.70 this year, on this forum at least.

37 minutes ago, optimist_8 said:

IP applicant got rejected with a GPA of 4 (professional degree). My CV last year was ranked top 30. Caspar was very bad last year but this year I thought It was much better.

My IP was not verified this year.

Years ago, I too was rejected pre interview by MCGill. I thought I was a stellar candidate, which I was, and so, I arranged to meet with them. It turned out that they misinterpreted part of one of my sentences in an Essay, and on this basis I was rejected, however, the person agreed when we met that I was an excellent candidate. Bottom line, they don’t care, mistakes do happen,  it from their perspective, they end up with an excellent class of candidates in the end and that is all that matters to them. This is unfortunately part of life and there is no meaningful recourse.