Premed 101 Forums

What are the usual hours on your surgery rotation?

6 hours ago, Bookmark311 said:

How much spare time do u have while on surgery rotation?

Very busy. Typically day starts around 6am and runs until 5pm when not on call. Mix of OR and clinic  and ward work. When on call you are usually fairly busy as well doing consults and OR assist and call is frequent. It’s one of the busier rotations in terms of time 

18 hours ago, Raptors905 said:

Very busy. Typically day starts around 6am and runs until 5pm when not on call. Mix of OR and clinic  and ward work. When on call you are usually fairly busy as well doing consults and OR assist and call is frequent. It’s one of the busier rotations in terms of time 

So glad I am a staff now and don't need to start at 6 am anymore. For the record, I'm community based so it's not like I have residents to do my rounding at 6 am either. 

My rotation was usually 7h00-7h30 to 16h00 with call until 23h00 once a week (including at least one weekend day during the rotation). Obviously, that wasn't a typical surgery schedule and was mostly the result of going in a small community hospital for that rotation, which is what I'd recommend if you don't want to match to surgery.

12 hours ago, Snowmen said:

My rotation was usually 7h00-7h30 to 16h00 with call until 23h00 once a week (including at least one weekend day during the rotation). Obviously, that wasn't a typical surgery schedule and was mostly the result of going in a small community hospital for that rotation, which is what I'd recommend if you don't want to match to surgery.

That is a very kind surgery rotation! Hopefully other non-surg hopefuls can emulate that.

28 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

That is a very kind surgery rotation! Hopefully other non-surg hopefuls can emulate that.

Yup ha :)

Also would depend on the type of surgery as well. My cardiac surgery rotations (in another life I was considering being a cardiac surgeon ha) was much more involved (6-6 or latter etc). Still they do try to generally be reasonable now for most places and most sub fields. 

8 hours ago, rmorelan said:

Yup ha :)

Also would depend on the type of surgery as well. My cardiac surgery rotations (in another life I was considering being a cardiac surgeon ha) was much more involved (6-6 or latter etc). Still they do try to generally be reasonable now for most places and most sub fields

Yeah, my medical school general surgery clerkship was 6am-5/6pm and then of course commute time. With 1in4 call overnight until latest 8am. Nice thing about surgery was rounding was so early and they were good about sending you home right after rounding/handover.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, Snowmen said:

I too did my surgery rotation in a smaller community hospital. Similar hours, with sightly more call (~2 per week), but I could do it from home and only about half the nights were crazy with consults or OR time.  The trade-off was I had no post-call days because it was only evening call, so I still found it to be one of my most exhausting rotations. But still seemed like it was a much more relaxed rotation compared to what many friends in the city were subjected to. 

• 2 weeks later...

On my gen surg rotation years ago in a large tertiary academic hospital, my day starts ~5:20am for prerounding. Residents come around 6am for rounding. First OR starts at 7:30-8. Day ends at ~1730-1800 when not on call. If on call, day ends the next day at 11-12ish (because we do team call so have to take care of all the ward stuff/discharges before leaving). The PGY-1 routinely stayed until PM on post call days. Calls were 1/3 to 1/4. Surgery was great but I'm glad those weeks were over...