Premed 101 Forums

Ask a question for the person below you.

Cerena

Something partially homemade and unique...something scary and an different. This year I'm the big bad wolf ;) with the contacts to boot.

Would you prefer to fly or mentally move objects?

Flying would be cool. :P

By the time we reach old age, with continuing advances in medicine, how long do you think we willl live in a healthy manner?

At least to 120 years.

If you could revisit your past life, would you and if yes, what would you want to revisit?

Not really, my past life has brought me to my present where I am content and prepariong for the future. I am enjoying each stage of the journey.

Why don't more us embrace the uncertainty which will always be part of the journey of life?

fear, i am so scared of graduating with my bmsc degree and not being able to find a career (medcine, dental, research, ect) and then i will end up like one of those awful university statistics where i work some minimum wage job. With this minimum wage job how on earth will i raise a family nevermind find a good wife to get married.

What advice will u give those who are afraid of uncertainty. (i would really appreciate a response, from some who can give me a serious response. like futuredoc or some of the other members on this site)

fear, i am so scared of graduating with my bmsc degree and not being able to find a career (medcine, dental, research, ect) and then i will end up like one of those awful university statistics where i work some minimum wage job. With this minimum wage job how on earth will i raise a family nevermind find a good wife to get married.

What advice will u give those who are afraid of uncertainty. (i would really appreciate a response, from some who can give me a serious response. like futuredoc or some of the other members on this site)

Uncertain reflects potential opportunities out there and not knowing if you will be accepted or rejected as you apply for different avenues. However, it is best to knock on many doors and let the choice be made for you by waiting for acceptances, at which point you exercise your autonomy and free will to make a positive decision. Circumstances may occur where there are no acceptances, but rather than closing the door, this itself is another opportunity for you to consider a path otherwise you might not have, that will lead to a brilliant future.

So, there is nothing to become uptight about. Try various avenues knowing in advance nothing may pan out but realize that everything happens for a reason and it may take some time until all the pieces fit together.

Life is a mystery and about self-discovery as well as the world around us. Embrace uncertainty, be adapable and all will be fine in the fulness of time! :P

How old are you?

Uncertain reflects potential opportunities out there and not knowing if you will be accepted or rejected as you apply for different avenues. However, it is best to knock on many doors and let the choice be made for you by waiting for acceptances, at which point you exercise your autonomy and free will to make a positive decision. Circumstances may occur where there are no acceptances, but rather than closing the door, this itself is another opportunity for you to consider a path otherwise you might not have, that will lead to a brilliant future.

So, there is nothing to become uptight about. Try various avenues knowing in advance nothing may pan out but realize that everything happens for a reason and it may take some time until all the pieces fit together.

Life is a mystery and about self-discovery as well as the world around us. Embrace uncertainty, be adapable and all will be fine in the fulness of time! :P

How old are you?

23 this years.

How many kids do you plan to have?

4. 2 dogs, 1 cat and a horse :P

Are you enjoying med school or undergrad?

yeah i am liking undergrad, I am really liking the university I go to. I also much rather be in school then working at a job. so many reasons why i like my school (on campus movie theater, multiple libraries, meet lots of new people daily, so many different clubs to join, so many different courses (vs a small school would offer), nice academic environment with other like minded people, affordable options to eat out on campus.

I have a medical student mentor, through this program i applied for at my school, what can i do to make the most of this mentorship? What should I talk about with my mentor?

yeah i am liking undergrad, I am really liking the university I go to. I also much rather be in school then working at a job. so many reasons why i like my school (on campus movie theater, multiple libraries, meet lots of new people daily, so many different clubs to join, so many different courses (vs a small school would offer), nice academic environment with other like minded people, affordable options to eat out on campus.

I have a medical student mentor, through this program i applied for at my school, what can i do to make the most of this mentorship? What should I talk about with my mentor?

Probably 3 areas of mentorship:

a) ask your mentor what areas specifically should be addressed in his/her opinion and why;

B) ask in what areas you can make yourself a stronger candidate when the time comes to apply, and strategies specifically you may consider to adopt, why and ask for suggestions as to how you may best implement these strategies; and finally,

c) the entire med school application consists of suddenly exposing applicants to matters about which they are ill-equipped or for which they have no training and are entirely left to their own devices – that can impact negatively upon them in the competitive application process. For example, I have seen numerous examples where applicants have composed totally generic/useless narratives and I have had to turn them around and give them focus so that they could create something meaningfully competitive. Or, applicants will write something that is full of meaningless flowery words, some have a tendency to say in 35 words what needs only 6 words, with the result that the reader is lost in a useless flow of words - and the applicants needs to tighten up the narrative and focus upon answering the question only. Without experience and mentorship, many applicants without proper marketing/writing skills start off at a severe disadvantage despite having a good package otherwise. Also, perspective is needed in prep for the interview so that performance anxiety is removed from the equation, and mentoring is required here too.

How will you be spending the day today?

Basmati rice

shirataki noodles

beans

vegetables

tofu

sauces

fish, seafood and eggs (if you eat those)

Mix and match and enjoy. :) The possibilities are endless.

Thanks, Bridget!

And just to keep the thread on track could you please ask a question?

(thread rules were on the 1st page :) )

Probably just burn down the house and start over somewhere else. :)

What's your favorite scary movie? Bonus points if it's on netflix so I can go watch it.

Insidious was pretty good if your not into gory stuff, that or try watching AMCs" The Walking Dead"

How long do you think Pokemon will last? :D