Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

just FYI for any dinofanatics, Dinosaur 13 will be on CNN tonight at 9pm EST. I've heard it's an amazing documentary.

edit: sorry i'm an idiot. It's December 11th that it is on.

Oooh excellent! I can watch it then... Most of my exams will be over by then. :D

Since there's some talk of dinosaurs, and I'm studying for a course that covers dinosaurs (a little bit), can I just say how ridiculous some of the predators look?

Carnotaurus.jpeg

Yes, its mouth is terrifying, but its arms make me chuckle. :P It almost looks like it may as well not have any... Velociraptors look much more frightening (IMO!).

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same for me, for the most part. I've only seen one of them. (There were flying racing things. I remember that and Jar Jar Binks.)

That one sucks (objectively speaking).

Watch the original trilogy. Episode 1,2,3 are kinda bleh. Episode 2 and 3 were okay. Episode 1 is a disgrace.

That one sucks (objectively speaking).

Watch the original trilogy. Episode 1,2,3 are kinda bleh. Episode 2 and 3 were okay. Episode 1 is a disgrace.

I was really young when I saw it, so I'm pretty sure I didn't notice. I had really bad taste in movies until I was around 18 (I couldn't really tell what was bad, although I could tell what was excellent or spectacularly bad (e.g., Gigli)).

And the "T. rex was a scavenger theory" - that came up in my course, but apparently no one takes it seriously. There seems to only be one proponent of the theory, or some small number like that! What scientists think a tyrannosaur's brain must have looked like is similar to an alligator's, so they think it must've had somewhat similar feeding behaviours (same for allosaurs) but been active like an ostrich (i.e., didn't sit around all day waiting for food, like alligators did).

It's super interesting to learn about them, but I have to keep reminding myself that a lot of stuff that's said about dinosaur interactions and whatnot is speculation! :P

I was really young when I saw it, so I'm pretty sure I didn't notice. I had really bad taste in movies until I was around 18 (I couldn't really tell what was bad, although I could tell what was excellent or spectacularly bad (e.g., Gigli)).

And the "T. rex was a scavenger theory" - that came up in my course, but apparently no one takes it seriously. There seems to only be one proponent of the theory, or some small number like that! What scientists think a tyrannosaur's brain must have looked like is similar to an alligator's, so they think it must've had somewhat similar feeding behaviours (same for allosaurs) but been active like an ostrich (i.e., didn't sit around all day waiting for food, like alligators did).

It's super interesting to learn about them, but I have to keep reminding myself that a lot of stuff that's said about dinosaur interactions and whatnot is speculation! :P

If I do not get into medical school, maybe I will pursue a PhD in Genetics, get some funding and build a real life Jurassic Park.

Free entry to all premed101 members (except the Dermatologists. They can afford entry).

Thanks.

It feels very strange to go 22 years of my life without ever having experienced anything like this, then in 2 years so many people I know get diagnosed with cancer.

The realization that this can happen to anyone I know makes me really appreciate the time I have with my friends and family. Even friends that I don't keep in touch with regularly, or distant family members. I was speaking with a friend recently and we remarked on how caught up with get with the pre-med process and our everyday concerns, failing to give attention to some of the more important things in life.

My close friend just had a terrible accident on the highway. He's in hospital and in surgery at the moment. My other friend in the car broke his shoulder and the passengers in the back were hurt as well. Everyone was sober including the driver so this is very unfortunate. I'm on my way to the hospital right now.

Falling, I know exactly what you're going through. I lost my grandfather, greatgrandma and aunt all in less than 2 years. It was almost impossible to handle so many deaths at once. It's been 4 years since the last death and I still find myself thinking about those days sometimes. I've also had a major near death experience, and following the incident I completely changed my outlook on life. I just wish everyone knew how thankful they should be for the life they have.

My close friend just had a terrible accident on the highway. He's in hospital and in surgery at the moment. My other friend in the car broke his shoulder and the passengers in the back were hurt as well. Everyone was sober including the driver so this is very unfortunate. I'm on my way to the hospital right now.

Falling, I know exactly what you're going through. I lost my grandfather, greatgrandma and aunt all in less than 2 years. It was almost impossible to handle so many deaths at once. It's been 4 years since the last death and I still find myself thinking about those days sometimes. I've also had a major near death experience, and following the incident I completely changed my outlook on life. I just wish everyone knew how thankful they should be for the life they have.

Hope your friend is okay.

Wow apparently a doctor in BC was violently attacked by a psychiatric patient. Hope they're okay.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/penticton-doctor-savagely-assaulted-by-psychiatric-patient-1.2864468

Apparently the patient was a BJJ practitioner. I've never heard of them, but I only know a couple of people in the BC scene.

Avoid reading the comments in the article

I have a dilemma. I'm not sure whether I should a) watch the saints play on Monday night football with my mom ( we both love drew Brees) or b ) go to the hobbit marathon (all 3 hobbit movies) in theatres, which includes the brand new one being released early.

I wish both of these weren't happening at the same time.

I have a dilemma. I'm not sure whether I should a) watch the saints play on Monday night football with my mom ( we both love drew Brees) or b ) go to the hobbit marathon (all 3 hobbit movies) in theatres, which includes the brand new one being released early.

I wish both of these weren't happening at the same time.

Football as in American football? Go watch! It's gotta be better than watching a marathon of The Hobbit. (I found the movies so disappointing. If it were between watching a football game and a LOTR marathon, though, I'd totally do the latter.)

And what's on my mind: I hate being sick. I have (really bad) food poisoning and my doctor wrote me a note to seek academic concession for my exams but I will seriously be damned if I can't recover in time to write them. <_< No exam deferrals for me. 

Hung out with a "friend" the other day who is a doctor and who said some incredibly rude things to me about me not being fit for it.

She actually questioned my level of compassion, which I found especially rich coming from her. She has been coming to me for years seeking advice on how to run her practice and I am always the one telling her to be nicer to her patients. For example, she would fire a patient if they turned out to have an addiction to opiates or benzos. How are you helping them by throwing them aside?

Apparently I am the asshole though and the one who lacks compassion? What is her problem? Is she just jealous that I might join her club? I do not get it!

Hung out with a "friend" the other day who is a doctor and who said some incredibly rude things to me about me not being fit for it.

She actually questioned my level of compassion, which I found especially rich coming from her. She has been coming to me for years seeking advice on how to run her practice and I am always the one telling her to be nicer to her patients. For example, she would fire a patient if they turned out to have an addiction to opiates or benzos. How are you helping them by throwing them aside?

Apparently I am the asshole though and the one who lacks compassion? What is her problem? Is she just jealous that I might join her club? I do not get it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

I have a cousin who is in medical school and whenever we're talking she tends to imply it to me that medical school isn't for me, such as saying things like "you know medicine isn't for every body it's not easy"; your friend seems pretty similar.

They are probably just too narcissistic or thing that just because they are at a higher status (educationally) they can degrade everyone in a lower educational status

In this particular case it is not so much about educational status as I am a lawyer and I have been for many years if we are going to get into details. But yes, it's particularly strange for someone to warn you about something as if you have never done something similar. I've run trials, I am not exactly green :).

It's more this strange idea that some doctors have like they think they walk on water. Has anyone seen the movie "Get Him to the Greek?". Jonah Hill was the main character and the woman who plays Peggy on Mad Men was his wife. She was so condescending and full of herself because she was a doctor, she automatically thought it made her a good person. At one point he said to her "just because you are a doctor does not mean you are a good person you know, the Nazis had doctors!".

Now to be fair, I do know a lot of doctors and most of them are not like that. Some of them are actually dripping in empathy. Those ones don't really feel the need to brag about their training 24/7 and are more interested in giving real guidance to potential candidates.

MeGusta I am not sure what your comment is referring to. Am I the one overestimating my ability or is my friend doing that?

Shervin your cousin sounds horrible. Basically what I am dealing with now. There is a difference between genuine concern and just being conceited and narcistic and not wanting people into your club. I cannot imagine talking to someone about becoming a lawyer that way. I do not think that being one makes me some sort of amazing special snowflake and I don't worry about others following in my path :S.

Agreed. I have also realized that people can be horrible regardless of their education/status. And sometimes this status is what makes people even greedier and conceited.

People also like to place an exaggerated value on their accomplishments to differentiate themselves with others. Your "friend" could've got this idea in their head that doctor > lawyer and will do anything to undermine your aspirations.

I'm not sure why MeGusta posted that thing either.

Archived