Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

Thanks for the link to the original post. Interesting that the complaining applicant (whose points I have considerable sympathy for) claims to be this amazing well-rounded applicant but couldn't spell fate and has a pretty much backwards grasp of the concept of Karma (although that is consistent with the 'no meditation courses' aspect of the post).

O.k. it's true I'm being snarky and judgmental. The irony of me anonymously taking a strip out of an anonymous poster for anonymously taking a strip out of U of T is not lost on me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand being upset that this point at not hearing anything (I was getting there), but I think posting something like that to their facebook page is a pretty silly way of coping with one's frustration. No selection process is perfect, and people will usually believe that a selection process more likely to select them is a better one.

Also, perhaps the meditation classes would have helped (both with GPA and better channeling of emotions).

No harm in criticizing the system, I guess. However her point is a little lackluster since she posted anonymously. Clearly still wants the system "of idiots" to reconsider and choose her.

Bit confused why it was taken down though.

The point I tended to agree with most was that if people with a 3.8 have no shot (which let's face it, they more or less don't) they should just tell us. Save a lot of people time, money, and emotional strife. The selection process itself is up to them. If they want to select based on the applicant's favourite hockey team, I'd be ok with it as long as they were explicit that's what they were selecting for.

I'm guessing she took it down herself since she put her GPA and what courses she took, which can probably be used to find her actual name if the admissions people wants to.

Haha oh god I'd hope they wouldn't try an find her based on that. I'm also a grad student waiting with a 3.86 GPA and similar courses.

Agreed, however the information is out there. Despite there being a selection bias here on pm101 it's easy to browse the invite/acceptance threads and see more or less what each school is looking for. It would be nice if more schools posted stats, though.

You're right, I scoped out all of the pm101 stats before I applied and still decided to give it a shot. There must be a lot of people who don't know about it though.

I think they wait to tell people if they have an interview in order to not give people an unfair advantage when it comes to preparation time (not to torture premeds!). Just think...If they told everyone in January whether or not they had an interview or what date it was, some people would have 2 months to prepare and others 2 weeks. By notifying students of their interview dates on a "rolling basis" they minimize this unfairness. As someone who has had an interview, I do think it is possible to prepare.

If they did send out all invites in January we would just be here complaining about how that system is unfair for those who have an early interview date. Let's face it..we are just a group of complainers, lol.

If you're going to have that type of reaction from a rejection and claim to have "unique life experiences" and have this sense of entitlement to an interview at UofT med, then I'm glad this person didn't get an interview. It shows this persons true colors and reaction to adversity/things not going their way.

FYI there are people in our class(es) (across all 4 years) that did NOT have a GPA of 4.0 (some of us with much lower, I am one of them). Yes having a good GPA counts for a lot, but what you don't see is all those 4.0's getting rejections.

He/she may be bitter at our whole process, but I find it extremely insulting being called an idiot after taking time in my holiday BREAK to look over/mark applications.

If you're going to have that type of reaction from a rejection and claim to have "unique life experiences" and have this sense of entitlement to an interview at UofT med, then I'm glad this person didn't get an interview. It shows this persons true colors and reaction to adversity/things not going their way.

FYI there are people in our class(es) (across all 4 years) that did NOT have a GPA of 4.0 (some of us with much lower, I am one of them). Yes having a good GPA counts for a lot, but what you don't see is all those 4.0's getting rejections.

He/she may be bitter at our whole process, but I find it extremely insulting being called an idiot after taking time in my holiday BREAK to look over/mark applications.

As much as I agree with you, I don't. In any profession/career/vocation etc. people will be dissatisfied with your work. You may feel this as you did it voluntarily but at the same time you are providing a service that they paid for thus they do have the right, at least in my mind, to be angry/dissatisfied. (Pay in the sense of application fee and tax dollars) I don't think they went about their concerns correctly but at the same time if you feel as though you did a a good job then that's all that counts.

New Facebook update: "While there are some interview spots still open, no more invitations will go out until grad review is finished, as I need to have space available pending the outcome of those assessments. I hope that I can invite more candidates next Monday."

Yay? So maybe there is still hope for us grad students :) Maybe explains why we saw much fewer grad applicants being invited in the last couple days. Good luck to everybody, grad or undergrad!

As much as I agree with you, I don't. In any profession/career/vocation etc. people will be dissatisfied with your work. You may feel this as you did it voluntarily but at the same time you are providing a service that they paid for thus they do have the right, at least in my mind, to be angry/dissatisfied. (Pay in the sense of application fee and tax dollars) I don't think they went about their concerns correctly but at the same time if you feel as though you did a a good job then that's all that counts.

You do realize that OMSAS gets all that money and none of it goes to any of the medical schools?

You do realize that OMSAS gets all that money and none of it goes to any of the medical schools?

And they're a non-profit. I didn't think it'd cost that much to process applications. Figured someone was turning some kind of profit (I suppose there probably are massive inefficiencies).

Anyways, haters gonna hate. I appreciate the work you do, as I'm sure the majority of the other applicants do as well. Thanks for your dedication, and I hope to be able to do the same and help out in the coming years!

Even the school specific application? (regardless all publicly funded so we all fund these schools in one way or another)

So back when I applied there was no school specific fee, and all the money went to OMSAS, but it seems that some does go to the schools (only $100 in the case of UofT). Considering the amount of work the admin (multiple people) put in that 100$ probably barely covers anything.

Anyways, haters gonna hate. I appreciate the work you do, as I'm sure the majority of the other applicants do as well. Thanks for your dedication, and I hope to be able to do the same and help out in the coming years!

Everyone gets involved cause they genuinely want to help. But it does take time and effort considering so much is on the line. Trust me we realize this just as much as others.

Archived