Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, the waiting after interview looks like it would be much better than waiting to see if you get an interview...but it really isn't!!

I respectfully disagree. For starters, there's what has been mentioned - that having an interview gives you closer to a 1/2 shot versus the more or less 1/100 that those of us left are facing right now. Perhaps the wait after the interview is anxious because you have a real shot, it's exciting, and you really could get in, follow your dreams etc. With U of T right now, it's a real, disheartening anxiety that we just weren't good enough.

Then there's the unpredictability. I found it a million times easier to wait for interviews when I knew emails weren't coming out for weeks or months, and I'm finding it a million times easier to wait to hear from schools I've interviewed at than I'm finding it is to wait for U of T right now. The email could come at any moment, and it's therefore very difficult to put it aside and stop thinking about it. And consistently hearing from other people that they've got an email makes it that much harder.

It really just isn't the same.

The email could come at any moment, and it's therefore very difficult to put it aside and stop thinking about it.

Exactly how I felt. Knowing the date you'll find out takes away so much of the anxiety. Really wish all schools worked like Queens/Ottawa where you know what day to expect invites/regrets.

So based on the one invite posting today are we all assuming that we are in a massive un-official wait-list pile and there will just be a minuscule trickle of invites before a deluge of 'regrets'?

I have started to work on MCAT for May but I am definitely not relishing the prospect of going through all of this again.

If you guys think waiting for an interview is torture, try being on the waitlist for TWO medical schools, all summer long. Now that is torture. Especially when you know your chances are fairly low after the first month or so on the waitlist, but there is still that tiny bit of hope.

My advice: try not to worry about it (I know it's hard), and just try to go on with your various activities as if you don't expect to receive an interview. If you get an interview, great! If not, oh well. You did the best you could at the time, and that's all you can ask of yourself.

Like I said, I know it's hard, but remember there are lots of other great careers out there, should you not make it into medicine, including plenty in other health care fields.

Good luck!

how solid is the theory that the date of your invite is not representative of your ranking? by looking at the interview invites last year, it looked like a lot more people were accepted when they had early interviews compared to late interviews

how solid is the theory that the date of your invite is not representative of your ranking? by looking at the interview invites last year, it looked like a lot more people were accepted when they had early interviews compared to late interviews

It isn't a theory, its what they officially state on their website:

"Please note that the order of interview invitation or interview date does not reflect any type of ranking in our admissions process. It only reflects the date on which the file review was completed."

That theory is absolutely not true

I don't think there is much correlation. I got one of the late interviews, at which point I had already given up hope and started interviewing for jobs, but I ended up getting in without being put on the waitlist. If I remember correctly, they also added one more interview weekend (day?) last year to accommodate more interviewees. If the date of invite is correlated to your ranking, I don't see much value for them to add that extra weekend.

I would be surprised if they added another date. Although given what UofT says and what PM101 says the date of interview doesn't effect your chances at admission.

In the past, they have added another interview day to accommodate a small portion of applicants whose files were reviewed the last. However, I do not expect a large number of invites for this day.

It's just the numbers don't seem to point towards another interview day. already having interviewed/interviewing ~600 people for 259 spots, just doesn't seem like they need to add any other days.

How do you know how many people they invited already? Do they publish that?

It's just the numbers don't seem to point towards another interview day. already having interviewed/interviewing ~600 people for 259 spots, just doesn't seem like they need to add any other days.

Isn't it more like ~560 people interviewed? 80 people per day for 7 days? And last year they had 587 interviewees, so who knows!

Archived