Premed 101 Forums

Mmi Prep Course - Are They Worth It?

Hello! Anyone who was taken an MMI prep course with one of the many companies who offer them, can you describe your experience and tell me if it was worth it? And if you didn't find it to be worth it, which company did you prepare with? 

I am trying to decide if I should get professional help or just prepare on my own. The courses and one-on-one coaching are super expensive, so would only want to invest in it if people think it definitely is worth it!

I took a couple of one-on-one sessions. I think it depends on how comfortable you are with the process beforehand. It was really helpful for me as someone who had never even thought about the MMI before, did not know how they were conducted and just in general lacked self-evaluation about my own skill level. If you do it in a group setting, it's also a really nice way to see how you think you compare to other applicants in terms of their answers and how they formulate them. 

I thought my sessions were worth it. But only until a certain point where I became comfortable with the MMI procedure. After that, I thought it would be better to save money and more efficient with regards to time spent, to practice alone or with another person to really gauge how you are progressing in terms of formulating answers and organizing your thoughts.

My sessions weren't with a specific company, but with an MMI coach? I'm not really sure how to explain it tbh.

I practiced on my own, with friends/study group, and booked a few sessions with MD Consultants. I found the latter to be quite useful because you're getting insight from somebody who has been accepted at the particular school you're interviewing at. Like aquaisra said, it's pretty useful for a little bit, but then its more efficient to do it on your own once you understand the fundamentals!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Anyone who was taken an MMI prep course with one of the many companies who offer them, can you describe your experience and tell me if it was worth it? And if you didn't find it to be worth it, which company did you prepare with? 

I am trying to decide if I should get professional help or just prepare on my own. The courses and one-on-one coaching are super expensive, so would only want to invest in it if people think it definitely is worth it!

I used: http://macadmissions.com and I found them super helpful. Expensive, but they gave me a great strategy and way to structure my answers for those 8 minutes, and topics I hold know/not know. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten in without them :) That said, it is expensive, so it has to be your decision!

I used: http://macadmissions.com and I found them super helpful. Expensive, but they gave me a great strategy and way to structure my answers for those 8 minutes, and topics I hold know/not know. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten in without them :) That said, it is expensive, so it has to be your decision!

those services always seem to have somewhat cobbled together websites - I always find that strange, there is just something a little weird about them.

• 2 weeks later...

The key is to prepare with people who have gone through the process and have time for it (medical students, residents, etc). It's not necessary that you need professional companies if you have friends or family in the medical field. You may seek help from medical students that you meet from research or extracurricular activities. The forum also has medical students that offer help for free, but might be difficult to book due to high demand.

Regardless of where you get prep from, think about if the experience can translate into longitudinal mentorship that guides you through medical school (eg. help with academics, research, extracurriculars, and most importantly, residency application). Your ultimate goal is to work in the specialty that you would enjoy for the rest of your life (you definitely need to plan your time wisely in medical school as you really only have one shot at applying for residency. On the other hand, you can apply to medical schools multiple times, which is a lot less stressful).

I've been using an interview coach for the past two months or so and have done a total of 6 sessions (roughly once every two weeks). All the sessions are one on one for an hour and for three sessions it cost roughly 270$. Overall I couldn't be happier about the process and the instructions he has given me. He sets out a process that works, explains the benefits of a good intro/conclusion and most of all works on your "voice", or your verbal cues. 

Like what everyone else has said though, these sessions should only compliment your preparation in my opinion. Whether that is watching WCBA, reading ethical books or practicing on your own or with others, the sessions in my mind are to really fine tune your skills. 

You can also think of it in terms of dollars and cents. You spend at least 500$ on MCAT prep (books, courses, the test itself and travel) and the test itself is worth 10-20% depending on the school. THEN you have the interview. Worth 30-45% across the boards (or around there) and most people spend little to none on the interview prep. Although its not required, taking a course sure wouldn't hurt!

Here is the guy I used. Great reviews from friends and about 70% of the people he helps get in (maybe just a coincidence though!):

http://bluedolphintraining.com

I've been using an interview coach for the past two months or so and have done a total of 6 sessions (roughly once every two weeks). All the sessions are one on one for an hour and for three sessions it cost roughly 270$. Overall I couldn't be happier about the process and the instructions he has given me. He sets out a process that works, explains the benefits of a good intro/conclusion and most of all works on your "voice", or your verbal cues. 

Like what everyone else has said though, these sessions should only compliment your preparation in my opinion. Whether that is watching WCBA, reading ethical books or practicing on your own or with others, the sessions in my mind are to really fine tune your skills. 

You can also think of it in terms of dollars and cents. You spend at least 500$ on MCAT prep (books, courses, the test itself and travel) and the test itself is worth 10-20% depending on the school. THEN you have the interview. Worth 30-45% across the boards (or around there) and most people spend little to none on the interview prep. Although its not required, taking a course sure wouldn't hurt!

Here is the guy I used. Great reviews from friends and about 70% of the people he helps get in (maybe just a coincidence though!):

http://bluedolphintraining.com

Yes, I also attended sessions with them as well. Very helpful indeed. I have no idea where that statistic is from though o.O

I interviewed MMI in AB and did absolutely amazing this past cycle (compared to first time interviewing). If your interested in testing out prep services I can tutor you for one 1hr session and you can judge for yourself if it is helpful or not.

Pm for details. Charge 25/hr.

Just curious, how would you know about your MMI performance at U of A? 

Hey,

I am inferring it based on a few things.

a) the feel I got coming out of it; def went way better than dentistry interview and day/night difference btwn previous cycle. Was able to calmly answer all Qs B) I can't reveal details/ signs during the interview but they were definitely there. c)  same stats+ cv: going rejected to accepted may15 this cycle vs last (more competitive cycle 2014)

If you have any other Q you can PM

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, some people don't need professional help some definitely do. I needed help and I got help from this company called bemo academic consulting. They are pretty good and they keep practicing with you until you are ready for your interview and they teach personalized strategies. Check them out http://bemoacademicconsulting.com/mmi-prep.html

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with dassy and MD Consultants. It is quite important to practice with someone who has been accepted at a particular school, and even sat on the other side of the interview table. It doesn't need to be a professional company. Friends and family with such experience would be a great resource as well!

Once you are in the profession, it is still very important to have mentors guiding you. Interview prep is a great opportunity to develop these longitudinal mentor relationships that can help you throughout your career. Compared to the immediate benefits and long-term benefits you will receive, the cost of interview prep today is really insignificant.

I agree with dassy and MD Consultants. It is quite important to practice with someone who has been accepted at a particular school, and even sat on the other side of the interview table. It doesn't need to be a professional company. Friends and family with such experience would be a great resource as well!

Once you are in the profession, it is still very important to have mentors guiding you. Interview prep is a great opportunity to develop these longitudinal mentor relationships that can help you throughout your career. Compared to the immediate benefits and long-term benefits you will receive, the cost of interview prep today is really insignificant.

I agree, however not everyone is fortunate enough to have contact with people who have been accepted to a particular school. The only practice I had with people who had been accepted to a school I applied to was the uOttawa mock interview. So although I'm sure it helps, it is by no means necessary to do well and people shouldn't stress if they don't have the chance to practice with a medical student.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I interviewed MMI in AB and did absolutely amazing this past cycle (compared to first time interviewing). If your interested in testing out prep services I can tutor you for one 1hr session and you can judge for yourself if it is helpful or not.

Pm for details. Charge 25/hr.

awesome!! how do you know you did so well? you got in? did they tell you your score?

• 4 years later...

I've been privately coaching candidates through the MMI  process for medical, pharmacy, dental and P/T at several universities.  Between brief coaching sessions with me, successful candidates practiced on their own and many of them also had an MMI practice group for a few weeks.  A good coach can help you organize answers, broaden your responses and become confident.  They'll help you identify your strengths, use stories and examples to illustrate your main points, and remediate if you have speech or behavioral patterns that would knock you out of contention.  They'll help you listen effectively and where role play is used, perform well under stress.  Every school and faculty seems to have their own style of MMI but the goal is to select candidates who are more than a GPA or exam star.  My most recent success had failing grades in a couple of core subjects yet she achieved two offers to Med school; she will be a stellar physician.   

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2014 at 3:00 PM, 726637 said:

I think it's definitely worth the investment! I remember trying to practice on my own but eventually decided to sign up for some interview prep with a consulting firm that specialized in interview stuff. The feedback was super helpful and super personalized. Not to mention such a confidence booster for my interview. I probably wouldn't have gotten the same critique or advice practicing with friends so I would totally recommend considering it. Good luck!!