Premed 101 Forums

Derm

reason it's competitive?

Derm is smart, they keep their numbers low so there's always ample demand for their trainee when they finish. In fact I think they decreased their total number of residents this year.

Look at FM in ON, schools and programs worked hard to attract people into the speciality, it worked, except now the ON government thinks FM earns too much and cost the system too much, and decide the screw them all with one stroke of their pen. Look at NSx, we have such an oversupply even the US has stopped accepting our graduating residents, yet we keep training more and more. Look at pathology in US, job market is stagnant yet they open new residencies, result is that graduates routinely do 2 fellowships for ordinary jobs. Did you notice this year's NRMP that a lot of specialty increased their total acceptance numbers, except a few including - DERM! 

I think its based on government assumption. I'm in path and the job market is not that great, yet the provincial governments are decrying a shortage. I wonder if they are equating all of pathology with forensics which probably does have a shortfall but that subspecialty is a very small contingent of pathologists. Derm is a good bet for a safe career with a lot of freedom. I think because of the assumption that most derm conditions can wait, there isn't a lot of pressure to increase derm spots.

Archived