Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

I think that most schools give at least 1 month or more for LMCC study. I.E clerkship ends around March or even before.

I guess UofToronto is a particular case, but you guys did write the Toronto Notes lol!

I imagine that LMCC is a pass or fail test, and it does not affect our CaRMs ranking...If it would have been USMLE step 1-2, I guess that Canadian Medical Schools would have given us more time to prepare!

Does failing the LMCC prevent you from starting residency? 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it does!

But more than 90% CMG pass LMCC on the first ( I don't know the actual percentage) try . The real score doesn't affect our future career ranking (i.e CaRMS), we do the exam post- CaRMS!

Whereas USMLE Step 1 and step 2 scores are submitted to NRMP, so a higher score might bump you up on the program's ROL!

Intel21, on 20 Feb 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yeah it does!

But more than 90% CMG pass LMCC on the first ( I don't know the actual percentage) try . The real score doesn't affect our future career ranking (i.e CaRMS), we do the exam post- CaRMS!

Whereas USMLE Step 1 and step 2 scores are submitted to NRMP, so a higher score might bump you up on the program's ROL!

Intel21, on 20 Feb 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

no it does not (in most places - I have heard there are parts of Quebec that won't let you graduate until you pass it. Not graduating will block you starting residency. Sounds like a silly way to do things ha). 

Hummm,., I am not sure if the school officials have earlier access to the match data?? 

I thought that they have access to all their students' match results at the same time as applicants. The school officials do call the unmatched students and do follow-up with them ASAP, since the second iteration of R1 match is due in 1 week (March 7th).

If they do, well I would personally prefer to know the results myself first aha! :)

I have heard that a school in Ontario called their students already if they didn't match.

True?

Hummm,., I am not sure if the school officials have earlier access to the match data?? 

I thought that they have access to all their students' match results at the same time as applicants. The school officials do call the unmatched students and do follow-up with them ASAP, since the second iteration of R1 match is due in 1 week (March 7th).

If they do, well I would personally prefer to know the results myself first aha! :)

This was my impression as well.

I know Mac will call you tomorrow if you don't match.

I have heard that a school in Ontario called their students already if they didn't match.

True?

Yes I am at a school in Ontario and this is definitely true for this year and last year. The schools found out the names of their unmatched students at 12 noon today. 

The idea with calling the students a day ahead is that students who don't match have a bit of time to process the result before immediately deciding what to do with the 2nd iteration when the 2nd iteration spots are released the next day. 

I think it's the smarter and kinder thing to do. 

my understanding from the office is they do but only by minutes. It helps in case of a system break down to start with - if the system is overloaded at least the school has the results. 

They would not have gotten them yet. 

Yeah all the CMG schools do close follow-up with unmatched students, and the school's guidance counsellor, vice-dean will meet up with all the students! 

It is a very stressful time, CaRMS application, waiting for the results aha!

I wish all of us get our first choice tomorrow! Hang in there guys, we are almost there!!! :)  :)  :)

Yes I am at a school in Ontario and this is definitely true for this year and last year. The schools found out the names of their unmatched students at 12 noon today. 

The idea with calling the students a day ahead is that students who don't match have a bit of time to process the result before immediately deciding what to do with the 2nd iteration when the 2nd iteration spots are released the next day. 

wow - ok, that is news to me (last year they told me they didn't - I know they didn't get them that early in my year :) ). 

Interesting change if so - probably would help a bit in some ways depending on the person (it is a personal thing - would you like to find out you didn't match say at the school surrounded by people that did?) 

Is this not illegal?

Yeah all the CMG schools do close follow-up with unmatched students, and the school's guidance counsellor, vice-dean will meet up with all the students! 

It is a very stressful time, CaRMS application, waiting for the results aha!

I wish all of us get our first choice tomorrow! Hang in there guys, we are almost there!!! :)  :)  :)

Indeed good luck to everyone tomorrow! Exciting time :) For those that match to ottawa - see you in July. 

i do not know all the intricacies of the carms contract (maybe i should, i'm a 2017), but i can 100% guarantee to you that these phone calls for those who went unmatched this year and last have been made. 

minor thought - but our school has an unmatch party just prior to the match day. The joke is to dress up as what you would be doing in case you didn't match. 

adds an extra winkle if there actually ARE people that are unmatched (and thus everyone then would know they did in fact match otherwise if they didn't get a phone call).

I personally find that it is a kinder thing to do. The 2nd iteration deadline is pretty (March 9th file review begins) fast-approaching , it gives the students one more day to think of what to do next.

Checking the CaRMS match results in front of your med school friends could be fantastic or excruciating.

Perhaps in the future, CaRMS should give 1 more week for the 2nd iteration. March 9th as a deadline is ridiculous in my humble opinion :P

Good luck to all of us tomorrow at noon ;)

i do not know all the intricacies of the carms contract (maybe i should, i'm a 2017), but i can 100% guarantee to you that these phone calls for those who went unmatched this year and last have been made. 

I personally find that it is a kinder thing to do. The 2nd iteration deadline is pretty (March 9th file review begins) fast-approaching , it gives the students one more day to think of what to do next.

Checking the CaRMS match results in front of your med school friends could be fantastic or excruciating.

Perhaps in the future, CaRMS should give 1 more week for the 2nd iteration. March 9th as a deadline is ridiculous in my humble opinion :P

Good luck to all of us tomorrow at noon ;)

I have never understood the delay - particularly since there is a 2 week gap prior post all the submissions of the rank lists. Now I know there needs to be time to check things but at the same time this is a software system that has been tested for many years. It would not take long to actually run the match (they would know the results almost immediately). Wouldn't it be better to pull things forward - even by a week - so that the 2nd round has a bit more time but no loss in the overall schedule? 

Not to mention that would reduce the waiting for students quite a bit as well. 

I have never understood the delay - particularly since there is a 2 week gap prior post all the submissions of the rank lists. Now I know there needs to be time to check things but at the same time this is a software system that has been tested for many years. It would not take long to actually run the match (they would know the results almost immediately). Wouldn't it be better to pull things forward - even by a week - so that the 2nd round has a bit more time but no loss in the overall schedule? 

Not to mention that would reduce the waiting for students quite a bit as well. 

That is something that I have thought about as well. There's a generous gap from the time when everyone submit their ranks (schools and applicants) and finding out the match results. It should, technically speaking, be a very quick process... I should have asked when the CaRMS rep came by our school.

minor thought - but our school has an unmatch party just prior to the match day. The joke is to dress up as what you would be doing in case you didn't match.

adds an extra winkle if there actually ARE people that are unmatched (and thus everyone then would know they did in fact match otherwise if they didn't get a phone call).

We're doing the same. Plan B party.

We're doing the same. Plan B party.

yeah but that party is a lot less fun in a sense if you already know you matched. Or didn't match for that matter. Minor point of course - just that it was a nice distraction for the class. It isn't too far to say some people basically woke up the next day around the time the match results were released, ha.

yeah but that party is a lot less fun in a sense if you already know you matched. Or didn't match for that matter. Minor point of course - just that it was a nice distraction for the class. It isn't too far to say some people basically woke up the next day around the time the match results were released, ha.

Yah ours is tonight! Should be a good distraction.

yeah same at McGill. they called it the plan B party. 

Archived