Premed 101 Forums

Summer Plans

To those in pre clerkship, what are your summer plans?

My gunner side (it's small but present) intuitively wants to get a research position. I did research in grad school and I like it. However, I looked at the summer research offered at my home school and none of them is really interesting to me. More importantly, I don't want to stay in the city where my school is located, and I don't want to be tied down for at least 10 precious weeks in the summer to a city where I am far away from SO and family. I know it's been discussed here and elsewhere, but for someone who is undecided on a specialty, am I prematurely closing any doors?

I don't want to train in Trumpland but I can keep my options open if I write Step 1. So studying for Step 1 will make me less guilty for "doing nothing". Perhaps it will be beneficial to consolidate the topics learned in pre clerkship too?

Is there anyone traveling? Where are you going?

To those in pre clerkship, what are your summer plans?

My gunner side (it's small but present) intuitively wants to get a research position. I did research in grad school and I like it. However, I looked at the summer research offered at my home school and none of them is really interesting to me. More importantly, I don't want to stay in the city where my school is located, and I don't want to be tied down for at least 10 precious weeks in the summer to a city where I am far away from SO and family. I know it's been discussed here and elsewhere, but for someone who is undecided on a specialty, am I prematurely closing any doors?

I don't want to train in Trumpland but I can keep my options open if I write Step 1. So studying for Step 1 will make me less guilty for "doing nothing". Perhaps it will be beneficial to consolidate the topics learned in pre clerkship too?

Is there anyone traveling? Where are you going?

A lot of people travel during the summer where I am.  Some do so as part of medically related programs. Indonesia and Europe seem to be popular for tourist travel, with Africa and Asia for medically related visiting.

Step 1 is best written after M2.  US MD schools give typically 5-10 weeks of dedicated study time for the test, so it's not a light undertaking.  Matching is often more competitive in the US, so unless there are specific reasons or ties to the US, a pass is what CMGs appear to often aim for (post-residency employment).   Step 1 appears to have a number of topics and details that aren't covered in various Canadian med schools, but may not be that relevant to most clinical practice.  In theory, depending on career goals, some consolidation could be beneficial.    

Research opportunities are also, unfortunately unequally distributed across faculties.  

I'm not sure the enjoy your summer and relax advice so far given is what you were looking for, although it sounds nice! I think the biggest thing is to find something to do in your hometown, where your SO and family are. I don't know what schools are there but you could reach out to professors or doctors there to find a research position. I think If you could find a good project to work on there fro at least part of the summer you'd be happier because you've gotten something productive down in the summer as well. You could always get a part time job as well or travel a bit. 

I'm currently trying to decide what to do during the summer break as well. Although many people have told me you don't realllly need research for Carms matching, I think most people have some, and I think it definitely looks good on your application. So my thinking is to try get do some research just so one doesn't prematurely close any doors?

I'm not sure the enjoy your summer and relax advice so far given is what you were looking for, although it sounds nice! I think the biggest thing is to find something to do in your hometown, where your SO and family are. I don't know what schools are there but you could reach out to professors or doctors there to find a research position. I think If you could find a good project to work on there fro at least part of the summer you'd be happier because you've gotten something productive down in the summer as well. You could always get a part time job as well or travel a bit.

I'm currently trying to decide what to do during the summer break as well. Although many people have told me you don't realllly need research for Carms matching, I think most people have some, and I think it definitely looks good on your application. So my thinking is to try get do some research just so one doesn't prematurely close any doors?

Do it during the school year if you must. Seriously don't waste one of your last or your last free summer doing research.

Almost everyone saying to relax is someone who has been through med school +\- residency already. Voice of experience and all that stuff.

Archived