Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Med If You Have A Bachelor's Degree?

FutureDMD-QC

If you have a bachelor's degree in social sciences (business), do you have to complete 1 year of pre-med? Or do you start med school right away?

There is pre-med at McGill, but this is usually only for CEGEP students.

However, they have given some students the opportunity to complete a "pre-med" year to increase overall GPA (with some standards to achieve). Usually, these people are from NTP background or a special contingent.

Depending on your category, your grades and sciences pre-reqs, they may ask you to do a year. Some NTPs have done a year before Med-1

The only science pre-reqs I have are the ones students usually take when completing a Health Science DEC. Do you know if I will be required to do 1 year pre-med given my non-science background? 

The only science pre-reqs I have are the ones students usually take when completing a Health Science DEC. Do you know if I will be required to do 1 year pre-med given my non-science background? 

As long as you have the basic science requirements outlined here then you don't do premed courses. The premed courses are only for NTP that have expired prerequisite courses or students coming right out of CEGEP. To be eligible for the traditional pathway application you need an undergraduate degree + the prerequisite courses (since the prerequisites are used to calculate your ranking along with your interview score).

There's some good information on the admissions site under General and Educational Requirements: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu 

You can navigate between the different tabs in the tree on the left of the page when you click the link.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

There is pre-med at McGill, but this is usually only for CEGEP students.

However, they have given some students the opportunity to complete a "pre-med" year to increase overall GPA (with some standards to achieve). Usually, these people are from NTP background or a special contingent.

Wow cool! Can you elaborate or send a link about how non-cegep students can get into the pre-med year

Wow cool! Can you elaborate or send a link about how non-cegep students can get into the pre-med year

It is recommended by the Admissions Office after reviewing your application. If they think you are a strong candidate, but not ready to enter med, then they propose to do the pre-med year. There is no direct application for this.

Archived