Premed 101 Forums

In your experience, is it worth buying Doing Right?

Is Doing Right worth purchasing for casper and/or interviews?

I am cheap lol and this is an expensive book.  I have also already taken a bioethics class so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

From what I have heard, there doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) medical ethics even in Casper? What about the interviews?

Doing Right was a fun read but I agree with others that it wasn't necessary for the interview. The U of W bioethics website gets recommended often, and I found it much better and easy to read through. https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

IMO yes you should have some basic/foundational knowledge of bioethics relevant to medicine prior to your interview.

18 hours ago, goleafsgochris said:

N of 1 but I read it (it was my only exposure to ethics at the time) and got into both schools I got an interview at.  I did feel the content helped significantly in my interviews.

I'll make this N=2, I did also find it useful for improving my interview performance. But I also never took a bioethics class beforehand.

I think it is better to say - you need to know the contents of doing right, and more importantly how to use the concepts in real world situations. That means going way beyond the cases in that book which focus on examples just to highlight usually one at time the various ethical concepts. Any real interview question given will have multiple ethics concerns all at once, and you have to make a decision on how to apply them. 

oh and almost sound like human while you are doing all of that, ha. 

Not some logic computer spitting out an answer after running an optimization algorithm - these scenarios are based usually on real world situations, with real people's lives in the balance. It all seems like a game until you run into one "out there". This stuff really is important.  

Archived