Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa med wGPA stats

Hi! is there any information regarding the average wGPA acceptances? (ie., if there is a trend for higher wGPA every year?) As well, in general, is UOttawa biased towards their own province? I have a wGPA of 3.86, which is low and I am not sure if I should get my hopes up :(

1 hour ago, marriat said:

English@

You can definitely email the admission to ask for the gpa cut off for the English stream of the year you apply to or even the year before to get an idea. I know that the english stream's gpa in super competitive but if you have above the cut off for sure apply, if you do really well on casper and have unique abs you have all your chances.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:05 PM, hey 123 said:

You can definitely email the admission to ask for the gpa cut off for the English stream of the year you apply to or even the year before to get an idea. I know that the english stream's gpa in super competitive but if you have above the cut off for sure apply, if you do really well on casper and have unique abs you have all your chances.

I think that the cutoff for everyone is 3.5? Or is there a separate cut-off for the english stream?

Is there any consensus on how GPA is used pre-interview at Ottawa? I remember @Donald_Duck saying it’s 50% GPA and 50% CASPer, but on ottawa’s admission page it says “applicants are selected for interviews based on the minimum wGPA set for the applicant pool and results of non-academic assessments”. Also on their main admission page it says the following:

Admissions facts for the 2018 application cycle:

• Number of applicants: 4,293
  • Number of students who met excellence of marks: 2,142

this makes me think that GPA is not used competitively pre interview!

3 hours ago, RiderSx said:

Is there any consensus on how GPA is used pre-interview at Ottawa? I remember @Donald_Duck saying it’s 50% GPA and 50% CASPer, but on ottawa’s admission page it says “applicants are selected for interviews based on the minimum wGPA set for the applicant pool and results of non-academic assessments”. Also on their main admission page it says the following:

Admissions facts for the 2018 application cycle:

• Number of applicants: 4,293
  • Number of students who met excellence of marks: 2,142

this makes me think that GPA is not used competitively pre interview!

I remember someone make a post previously stating that when they asked admissions, they told him/her that GPA is still looked at competitively, meeting the wGPA cutoff pushes you to a file review where the wGPA is still considered.

• 3 weeks later...

The breakdown pre-interview that I shared on this forum is dated information unfortunately. They are changing the admission requirements so much that unfortunately I no longer know the formula for pre-interview consideration. However, I do believe GPA is still looked at competitively as R previously stated.

Mr Duck