Premed 101 Forums

Medical Requirements - Vaccines

Hey guys, going out on a limb until I can get someone from Western on the phone about this

Do you know of anyone who hadn't received a clearance at the beginning on the term due to a vaccine series they we're currently doing but wouldn't be completed for another 12 months ? 

What happens, am I really locked out of all clinical experiences ? Can I even keep up if that's the case ? 

My parents lost my vaccination book, had I known in advance I would have done this last summer... 

You can also order serological antibody tests for most of the immunizations that are required, and that is also counted as proof of immunization if you can't find your vaccination book. Your local public health record may also have some of the vaccinations that you received in school on record! If you have a family doctor they may also be able to draw up a list of the vaccinations in their files, and that might be a good place to start. Hope that's helpful :)

3 hours ago, ysera said:

Are you talking about hep b? Because if so, you'll be cleared as long as you start the first series. Everything else should be do-able before semester starts. 

I was talking about polio which takes a little over a year. From the answers I got at Student Health Center and Wellness and Equity they could do the same thing with conditional clearance, just not an as sure thin as Hep B since it hasn't happened a lot :/

1 hour ago, SmartfoodLover said:

You can also order serological antibody tests for most of the immunizations that are required, and that is also counted as proof of immunization if you can't find your vaccination book. Your local public health record may also have some of the vaccinations that you received in school on record! If you have a family doctor they may also be able to draw up a list of the vaccinations in their files, and that might be a good place to start. Hope that's helpful :)

Thanks for your responses :) I had reached out to all these with no success, hopefully it'll be possible to get an AC test in London and have that be enough with the rounds I started for now 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, douchebaggage said:

Have you talked with SHS about the polio vaccine?  I also can't find my baby immunization records, is it possible to get thrle complete series before Aug 1st?

With the Polio and Hep b Vaccines they'll give you a conditional clearance as long as you start them by the due date, no need to complete the whole thing before August 1st. 

Be forewarned that you may need to get a booster even if you have had the hep B vaccine before (happened to me). Your antibody concentration needs to be higher than 10 mlu/ml. You just get the booster one time and do another blood test to see if your antibody level increased. 

8 hours ago, ysera said:

With the Polio and Hep b Vaccines they'll give you a conditional clearance as long as you start them by the due date, no need to complete the whole thing before August 1st. 

Be forewarned that you may need to get a booster even if you have had the hep B vaccine before (happened to me). Your antibody concentration needs to be higher than 10 mlu/ml. You just get the booster one time and do another blood test to see if your antibody level increased. 

I had the same issue with the hep B, I had to take the whole series again