Premed 101 Forums

Top 100 physician-identified OHIP billings released

1 hour ago, medigeek said:

When you do 0 complex medicine and just refill meds; it's easy to get "satisfaction" ratings.

Ditto if you just order whatever inappropriate treatment or test the patient requests. Antibiotics for negative urinalysis/cultures, spinal XRs for non red flag acute back pain, antibiotics for sore throat...

Patient satisfaction has nothing to do with good medicine, despite what the government seems to think. 

This is true for NPs and MDs. 

5 minutes ago, NLengr said:

Ditto if you just order whatever inappropriate treatment or test the patient requests. Antibiotics for negative urinalysis/cultures, spinal XRs for non red flag acute back pain, antibiotics for sore throat...

And all of these tests cost $$$ too. In the end, the rise of NPs would not only lead to poorer medicine, but also cost the system more economically in the long run.

5 hours ago, medigeek said:

lololol. 

Those guys earned every penny. If you want to talk about "giving" then first look at slashing the admin and non-frontline staff salaries first. It's beyond shameful that you're making a post like  this. 

Cut the midlevels and admin too. 

I grew up in a low SES family. I dont need 100s of thousands of dollars to be happy. It would be “beyond shameful” if Canadians received subpar or no care because we for some reason refused to adapt to the modern realities of the world. I urge you to check how much money world class doctors in France or Germany make.  

Take emotion out of it, current system is unsustainable.

11 hours ago, medigeek said:

It's all jealousy. Nothing more. We even have em in this thread, who most certainly are not actually in medicine.

What?? That's exactly what it is! They do a tiny fraction of the training that a doctor does. Your 4th year med student is more competent than a NP. 

When you do 0 complex medicine and just refill meds; it's easy to get "satisfaction" ratings.

Lmfao chill... I’ve see 1st yr residents not able to function without asking their senior. To say a NP is less competent than a 4th year med student is just straight up disrespek 

1 hour ago, GrouchoMarx said:

its not incorrect tho

In my experience, I would say an NP is roughly equivilent to a first year resident clinically. The background knowledge is definately less than a resident but from clinical performance, I'd say early to mid first year resident. But that is only in my limited experience. 

21 minutes ago, NLengr said:

In my experience, I would say an NP is roughly equivilent to a first year resident clinically. The background knowledge is definately less than a resident but from clinical performance, I'd say early to mid first year resident. But that is only in my limited experience. 

any knowledge on clinical performance of PAs?

18 hours ago, ysera said:

Cut the midlevels and admin too. 

I grew up in a low SES family. I dont need 100s of thousands of dollars to be happy. It would be “beyond shameful” if Canadians received subpar or no care because we for some reason refused to adapt to the modern realities of the world. I urge you to check how much money world class doctors in France or Germany make.  

Take emotion out of it, current system is unsustainable.

People have complained about healthcare since the 1950 and said the same stuff. And just because you feel like we should get ripped off does not mean that we actually should. This is YOUR personal emotions vs facts. And the facts are that physician income is a small % of total costs. Don't try and sink the ship due to personal feelings. 

BTW, there are private docs in europe who make great money. Their top academic docs don't but neither do ours. 

12 hours ago, orthoooo said:

Lmfao chill... I’ve see 1st yr residents not able to function without asking their senior. To say a NP is less competent than a 4th year med student is just straight up disrespek 

You've seen PGY1s who are weak and I've seen truckloads of midlevels who don't even know basic drugs or literally anything outside of the basics of their day to day tasks. In your mind you're comparing the top 10% of NPs to the bottom 10% of pgy1s and I'm just comparing averages. 

Also, asking your senior is also about navigating the logistics. Goes well beyond medicine.