Premed 101 Forums

Where do I submit the information for the Social Accountability Initiative?

25 minutes ago, Siz said:

Are they sent to the following address?

Faculty of Medicine
University of Ottawa
Roger Guindon Hall
451 Smyth Road, room 2016
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M5

Yes, I just called them an hour ago and confirmed that is the address you will be submitting the forms to. 

I'm still not sure if I want to apply through this stream. I dislike how vague the process seems. I already got an interview last cycle in the general English stream. I feel like 2 seats doesn't really make a difference anyways.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, RiderSx said:

Yes, I just called them an hour ago and confirmed that is the address you will be submitting the forms to. 

I'm still not sure if I want to apply through this stream. I dislike how vague the process seems. I already got an interview last cycle in the general English stream. I feel like 2 seats doesn't really make a difference anyways.

Do you know if the documents are due when OMSAS is due or can you send them after OMSAS deadline?

14 hours ago, MDhopefulll said:

Do you know if the documents are due when OMSAS is due or can you send them after OMSAS deadline?

I believe its by the deadline.

The additional financial documentation, which consist of each family household member’s notice of assessment issued by the CRA for that period, needs to be provided at the time of OMSAS application submission. These notices of assessment may be obtained through the CRA.

4 minutes ago, MDhopefulll said:

Thanks, I don't even know if I want to apply through this stream tbh. I have been told there will be a separate waitlist for this pool and the likelihood of getting off the waitlist seems almost impossible given only 2 seats are reserved.

Thats true. However, if you dont get the 2 seats, you'll be considered for the english stream.

2 minutes ago, drager said:

Thats true. However, if you dont get the 2 seats, you'll be considered for the english stream.

Right. I'd rather get rejected from social accountability initiative stream than being put on the waitlist so that I can be considered for the english stream since quite a few people in the english stream get off the waitlist. I am a bit frustrated how vague and confusing the whole initiative is (kind of expected since the initiative only began this year). 

4 hours ago, MDhopefulll said:

Right. I'd rather get rejected from social accountability initiative stream than being put on the waitlist so that I can be considered for the english stream since quite a few people in the english stream get off the waitlist. I am a bit frustrated how vague and confusing the whole initiative is (kind of expected since the initiative only began this year). 

Ottawa does not reject any applicants. Everyone either gets accepted or waitlisted. Just in case you didn't know.

14 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Ottawa does not reject any applicants. Everyone either gets accepted or waitlisted. Just in case you didn't know.

What do you mean no rejections? After the interview?

I just wanted to know what the likelihood is like getting off social accountability stream vs regular English stream when both waitlisted. Tried calling or emailing the admissions office all this week, could not reach them once.

@RiderSx @MDhopefulllWhen I called them, they said that social accountability applicants would also be assessed for their general stream (e.g. anglophone) for admission and waitlist. 

However, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. What do you guys think? Is it worth applying through this stream if you're already competitive for the general anglophone stream? Then again, it seems counter-intuitive for them to implement this initiative and have it be anything but an advantage to applicants.

7 minutes ago, maritimefarm said:

@RiderSx @MDhopefulllWhen I called them, they said that social accountability applicants would also be assessed for their general stream (e.g. anglophone) for admission and waitlist. 

However, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. What do you guys think? Is it worth applying through this stream if you're already competitive for the general anglophone stream? Then again, it seems counter-intuitive for them to implement this initiative and have it be anything but an advantage to applicants.

That's really odd because I was told that there will be a separate waitlist for social accountability applicants when I emailed them a few weeks ago. However, I do agree with your second point and it has to be somewhat advantageous to the applicants. So would they select the top 2 applicants from the initiative pool first and everyone else (initiative pool + general stream) gets put together and send out offers/waitlists accordingly? This seems to conflict with the email saying there will be a separate list however... I don't even know at this point

1 hour ago, MDhopefulll said:

That's really odd because I was told that there will be a separate waitlist for social accountability applicants when I emailed them a few weeks ago. However, I do agree with your second point and it has to be somewhat advantageous to the applicants. So would they select the top 2 applicants from the initiative pool first and everyone else (initiative pool + general stream) gets put together and send out offers/waitlists accordingly? This seems to conflict with the email saying there will be a separate list however... I don't even know at this point

They also told me there was a separate waitlist for the SAI but they also said social accountability applicants would still be considered with the general stream that they apply in. 

Maybe SAI applicants are put onto waitlists for both streams?

So after selecting the top 2 initiative applicants, they rank the rest of the general stream (including SAI applicants excluding the top 2) and send out offers. Then, based on ranking, SAI applicants could be put on both waitlists and be accepted to whichever one has a spot first?

If this was the case, the SAI wouldn't hold back applicants from receiving an offer for the general stream while still having a benefit in some situations. In an extreme case, an SAI applicant could be ranked very low in the general stream but ranked high enough to receive an offer (or offer off the waitlist) through the SAI stream.

Are you applying through the SAI stream? I've sent in my documents but I'm still feeling a bit unsure.

2 hours ago, maritimefarm said:

They also told me there was a separate waitlist for the SAI but they also said social accountability applicants would still be considered with the general stream that they apply in. 

Maybe SAI applicants are put onto waitlists for both streams?

So after selecting the top 2 initiative applicants, they rank the rest of the general stream (including SAI applicants excluding the top 2) and send out offers. Then, based on ranking, SAI applicants could be put on both waitlists and be accepted to whichever one has a spot first?

If this was the case, the SAI wouldn't hold back applicants from receiving an offer for the general stream while still having a benefit in some situations. In an extreme case, an SAI applicant could be ranked very low in the general stream but ranked high enough to receive an offer (or offer off the waitlist) through the SAI stream.

Are you applying through the SAI stream? I've sent in my documents but I'm still feeling a bit unsure.

Although I did send in my documents but not sure if I want to indicate that I am applying through the stream on OMSAS yet. I am probably going to apply anyways because as you mentioned, it is counter-intuitive to think that applying through this stream will be somewhat disadvantageous. After all, the whole point of the initiative is to benefit low socioeconomic status applicants. It seems a bit foolish if the likelihood of getting accepted was lower through this stream.

It’s definitely counter intuitive for the stream to not be advantageous for us. Even yet, I can’t trust that the system will be 100% efficient. 

If they placed me on both the general and LSES waitlist then it would make sense. But it doesn’t make sense to have a separate LSES waitlist when general stream applicants would be getting off their own waitlist, meaning that it would lower the LSES applicant’s chance. They have done a poor job of explaining how the stream works and I think it’s disappointing given that some applicants are truly disadvantaged socioeconomically and would have appreciated more transparency.

17 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

It’s definitely counter intuitive for the stream to not be advantageous for us. Even yet, I can’t trust that the system will be 100% efficient. 

If they placed me on both the general and LSES waitlist then it would make sense. But it doesn’t make sense to have a separate LSES waitlist when general stream applicants would be getting off their own waitlist, meaning that it would lower the LSES applicant’s chance. They have done a poor job of explaining how the stream works and I think it’s disappointing given that some applicants are truly disadvantaged socioeconomically and would have appreciated more transparency.

I agree 100% with you on this one. So are you applying through this stream? I believe the documents must be sent in by OMSAS deadline.

55 minutes ago, MDhopefulll said:

I agree 100% with you on this one. So are you applying through this stream? I believe the documents must be sent in by OMSAS deadline.

Although I gathered all the necessary documents, I won't be applying through the stream. I'm mostly doing this because I was able to receive an interview through the general stream last time I applied, so because it worked for me I'm not gonna change things up this time. I might hate myself for doing this lol, so I don't mean to tell everyone they should not apply.

Although, I think if your GPA is around 3.89 (on the lower end), LSES will be more helpful as there will be less applicants through that stream. 

4 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Although I gathered all the necessary documents, I won't be applying through the stream. I'm mostly doing this because I was able to receive an interview through the general stream last time I applied, so because it worked for me I'm not gonna change things up this time. I might hate myself for doing this lol, so I don't mean to tell everyone they should not apply.

Although, I think if your GPA is around 3.89 (on the lower end), LSES will be more helpful as there will be less applicants through that stream. 

Ah I see. What if your wGPA was on the higher end (>3.97)? Would applying through this stream still be somewhat advantageous?

3 minutes ago, MDhopefulll said:

Ah I see. What if your wGPA was on the higher end (>3.97)? Would applying through this stream still be somewhat advantageous?

Who knows! haha. I really cannot predict. I don't want to say anything that might jeapordize your application. All I can say, is if you believe you are strong in CASPer, have really good ABS, and have a 3.97 then you are in the above average pool for Ottawa. At the end of the day, LSES is only 2 seats, if you apply through the general stream you won't hate yourself and think you would have totally gotten through LSES. it was only 2 seats anyways! Just how I'm looking at it.

19 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Who knows! haha. I really cannot predict. I don't want to say anything that might jeapordize your application. All I can say, is if you believe you are strong in CASPer, have really good ABS, and have a 3.97 then you are in the above average pool for Ottawa. At the end of the day, LSES is only 2 seats, if you apply through the general stream you won't hate yourself and think you would have totally gotten through LSES. it was only 2 seats anyways! Just how I'm looking at it.

Makes sense. I was going to apply to LSES because if I have decent ABS and do well in CASPer, given my wGPA, I was thinking I would be one of the top ranked applicants. However, the likelihood of me being the top 2 applicants is pretty slim (just being realistic). I don't even know... something I have to decide pretty soon haha

6 minutes ago, MDhopefulll said:

Makes sense. I was going to apply to LSES because if I have decent ABS and do well in CASPer, given my wGPA, I was thinking I would be one of the top ranked applicants. However, the likelihood of me being the top 2 applicants is pretty slim (just being realistic). I don't even know... something I have to decide pretty soon haha

I think as true as that may be, only two applicants with a better wGPA and ABS would be sufficient to kick you out of that race. Of course, I don't mean to be harsh but I can totally see someone with a 3.98 and 3.99 applying through the stream and getting the 2 seats; they'll need a good CASPer and ABS but it's a very real possibility.