Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge 2020 - Dental School

Hi everyone!

@dentalkardash when did you submitted your Prior Course Evaluation sheet? AB told me I had to have everything submitted by mid January for first round of offers 

Hopefully I will make the cut for 2nd round of offers:D.. all of my documents have just been sent as of today!

Does anyone know how many graduates are accepted each year for the 4 year program? 

@dental0550 I'm curious too! This is my 2nd time applying ... maybe this will be my year with a smaller applicant pool:P

On 2/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, ddBlue said:

Hi everyone!

@dentalkardash when did you submitted your Prior Course Evaluation sheet? AB told me I had to have everything submitted by mid January for first round of offers 

Hopefully I will make the cut for 2nd round of offers:D.. all of my documents have just been sent as of today!

Does anyone know how many graduates are accepted each year for the 4 year program? 

@dental0550 I'm curious too! This is my 2nd time applying ... maybe this will be my year with a smaller applicant pool:P

x

9 hours ago, LiveLifeToTheMaxillary said:

Several reasons; for starters, there’s no point in going abroad and accumulating 300K+ in debt when I have a good chance here. Also, it’s just the degree as a whole and how it’s perceived. I’ve spoken to several current dental students at UCC and many have said that it’s HARD. Students are passing with 60s. Many said that getting in the 70s range is considered to be “honors” and is next to impossible. Given this, and given the fact that speciality programs here in Canada look at dental school transcripts, I don’t want to jeopardize my chances at a potential career in dental speciality. Finally, perception of the degree. Yes, you’re able to come back here and work. But in order to work, somebody has to be willing to hire you. Reading forums about international dental graduates, many current Canadian dentists feel that their foreign counterparts are inferior and would therefore not hire them. There’s this perceived stigma with one’s degree and I’m afraid that this will harm my chances at landing a job (or a good job) upon my return. 

That’s all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here so that others may also benefit. 

The grading scheme is different in Ireland. 50 is a pass, 60 is honours, 70 is double honours, although when going back to Canada they get converted back to an equivalent Canadian scheme. However, many specialization programs in Canada specify North American trained dentists. General dentists are free to practice whatever procedures they wish (with proper training) and while many go into dental school with aspirations of specialization they are quickly released in favour of general practice in both NA and abroad streams. Irish graduates have a very high success rate on the NDEB upon return according to recent UCC stats. Your choice is your choice but its important to see things in full context.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:14 AM, dentaldamn said:

The grading scheme is different in Ireland. 50 is a pass, 60 is honours, 70 is double honours, although when going back to Canada they get converted back to an equivalent Canadian scheme. However, many specialization programs in Canada specify North American trained dentists. General dentists are free to practice whatever procedures they wish (with proper training) and while many go into dental school with aspirations of specialization they are quickly released in favour of general practice in both NA and abroad streams. Irish graduates have a very high success rate on the NDEB upon return according to recent UCC stats. Your choice is your choice but its important to see things in full context.

x

Hm. I was wondering if as Canadian Permanent Resident my application is reviewed as “Canadian applicant” or not. Like I am graduating from a Canadian University but I am not Canadian Citizen (I actually just applied for my citizenship). I was wondering if my status affects my chances of getting in given that all GED spots are designated for “Canadians”.

i felt I had a really good shot at UCC given my grades (I have a 90% average) and my resume is quite extensive with lots of dental background, varsity experience, executive position, research, full time job, ... but I didn’t make it to the first round!

I guess I am not good enough? Lol

9 hours ago, dentaldamn said:

For reference: this year UCC GED has 26 slots (all Canadian) and the 5year has 3 Canadian slots

On 2/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, dental0550 said:

Hm. I was wondering if as Canadian Permanent Resident my application is reviewed as “Canadian applicant” or not. Like I am graduating from a Canadian University but I am not Canadian Citizen (I actually just applied for my citizenship). I was wondering if my status affects my chances of getting in given that all GED spots are designated for “Canadians”.

i felt I had a really good shot at UCC given my grades (I have a 90% average) and my resume is quite extensive with lots of dental background, varsity experience, executive position, research, full time job, ... but I didn’t make it to the first round!

x

1 minute ago, LiveLifeToTheMaxillary said:

What are your stats?

I don’t think I am the best applicant out there lol but I though my application was okay.

i have a 89-90% ish GPA, varsity athlete, varsity coach, attended dental school before in my home country (didn’t finish due immigration to Canada), volunteer in the dental field, shadow a former UCC professor, research, no publications, reference letter from my thesis supervisor and dentist I shadow, health and safety student representative, some academic awards as well as athletic awards... and other small things.

I am more like a well rounded applicant and I thought I would have more chances in Ireland than Canada given Canadian schools  emphasize grades over anything... but I guess not lol

On 2/13/2020 at 6:50 PM, dental0550 said:

I don’t think I am the best applicant out there lol but I though my application was okay.

i have a 89-90% ish GPA, varsity athlete, varsity coach, attended dental school before in my home country (didn’t finish due immigration to Canada), volunteer in the dental field, shadow a former UCC professor, research, no publications, reference letter from my thesis supervisor and dentist I shadow, health and safety student representative, some academic awards as well as athletic awards... and other small things.

I am more like a well rounded applicant and I thought I would have more chances in Ireland than Canada given Canadian schools  emphasize grades over anything... but I guess not lol

x

5 minutes ago, LiveLifeToTheMaxillary said:

Did you apply in Canada? You seem like the poster applicant for medicine tbh. 

I did but my DAT is not good enough! 
argh I want to be a dentist lol I know this is what I want to do and I am passionate about it! 

19 hours ago, dental0550 said:

They do accept PR applicants, I know personally someone who got accepted. However, getting a visa to Ireland might be tricky depending on your country of citizenship.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, ddBlue said:

Hi everyone!

I submitted the form Jan 25th, so roughly a week past mid January.

12 hours ago, JPS said:

hi guys, im one of the hopefuls. 

re: Prior Course Evaluation sheet. 

Are they requesting those documents before giving offers? Someone from last year said they got accepted first then had to fill these documents out?

It’s usually before but tbh at this point I don’t even know my name anymore lol nothing is 100% sure with the AB process lol just go with the flow and hope for the best! Good luck