Premed 101 Forums

Queen's In-Person vs. Online Interview

Will Queen's be comparing applicants who interviewed in-person to those who interviewed online? Or will they only be comparing applicants within groups?

I interviewed in-person, and I have a friend who interviewed online, and it became very clear that there were stark differences between the two. For those who interviewed in-person, it's easier to make an impression on evaluators, and it's just more normal in general. Also, we all got a panel interview which was nice (but who even knows what the panel means now). My friend who interviewed online told me that they ran into technical issues, and that was a very stressful thing to figure out in the middle of their MMI. However, they also told me that they could time themselves to exactly meet the 5 minutes, and they also had unlimited time to think about their answer and plan it out before giving their response. They even told me that they could Google things before they answered the question.

Can Queen's really compare the two?

Its honestly all speculation at this point, but maybe they will evaluate the in-person and online session separately, with 50 people out of 250 interviewed initially admitted in each group. But this would complicate the waitlist and many other things. They could also just go by overall scores regardless of what group (in-person or online.) with minor touch ups based on circumstances considered.

I agree w/ @MedicineLCS... I did it online and we had 2 minutes to prepare as soon as the question came up. And then 5 mins to present and a 2 minute follow-up...... No advantage there whatsoever. The only type of person who had an 'advantage' doing it over Kira Talent is someone who might feel a bit anxious doing it in real life.

The other advantages are mainly with regards to time and cost of having to go all the way to Kingston. Overall, I didn't run into that many technical issues but had minor glitches here and there and a major crash in the middle which prompted me to email Queens. However, it didn't really affect my performance all that much. 

Also wish to confirm that we had normal MMI timing (2 min prompt, 5 min answer, 2 min follow up).  As for being able to google something, I find that hard to believe that someone would get away with that easily.  We were being recorded during our prep time as well (just like during a CASPER test). Googling would be a risky move considering that the only thing they told us that we were permitted to do was to write notes and shred our notes after.  So if someone were to google during their 2min prep time they would probably be able to tell that they were looking at their screen and typing instead of writing notes or thinking about the question.  

Yea lol my webcam light was still on. All I did was get up and do power poses/occasionally step out of frame to stretch, so I'm sure I look like a fool. :p

Also, I can confirm the timing was identical to the live interview and that looking up answers would have been obvious and probably cause to be disqualified from the process. 

Maybe your friend meant that we had 'unlimited' time between each station (except not really, since we had to complete the entire circuit by 1 PM, so this was more just a way to give us time to sort out technical issues). 

All in all, I think the disadvantages of interviewing online outweigh the advantages. Who knows how they're going to compare the two groups, but I hope they try to make it as fair as possible. 

I really don't think we were recorded the entire time/would really hope that we weren't recorded the entire time!! They specifically told us when we were being recorded and I'm pretty sure that was only when we were actually answering the questions. I don't remember my webcam light being on the entire time either!