Premed 101 Forums

Chatter as we wait.

Hi All,

I wanted to check in with everyone patiently waiting for May. It is important for us to stay connected during this time. I also know that my family and friends are doing a really good job of listening to me over analyze my interview as I cope with the long wait, but will tire of me soon! How are you all doing? What seems to be your most effective distraction?

Hi Heme,

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope this serves as a useful distraction from incessantly checking the medblog as I've been doing the past few days. Thankfully I have work to sort of keep me occupied during the weekdays though I've been feeling more and more anxious about both receiving an acceptance and a rejection during this pandemic. I'm an OOP so the logistics and moving my family for July don't sound very practical nor appealing at the moment. 

In other news, Money Heist is quite entertaining! 

Just keeping myself busy with work so I don’t have to think about it. I was completely blind sided by the 30s thinking time and thought I came off as anxious and panicky but I’ve always been a “don’t cry about spilled milk” kind of person. Basically just working on what I can improve for the next cycle at this point. July will be here before you know it!

10 minutes ago, motherofdragons said:

Hi Heme,

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope this serves as a useful distraction from incessantly checking the medblog as I've been doing the past few days. Thankfully I have work to sort of keep me occupied during the weekdays though I've been feeling more and more anxious about both receiving an acceptance and a rejection during this pandemic. I'm an OOP so the logistics and moving my family for July don't sound very practical nor appealing at the moment. 

In other news, Money Heist is quite entertaining! 

I hear you. I can't wait for the email. An invite would be incredible, but I am terrified of the financing component. Being a bit of an older applicant means more financial responsibilities and after these next few months my debt ratio may be too high for a LOC!

A lot of Netflix/Crave/Prime and currently listening to two audio books - Plant Paradox and The Book of Negroes. Both great!

9 minutes ago, Heme said:

I hear you. I can't wait for the email. An invite would be incredible, but I am terrified of the financing component. Being a bit of an older applicant means more financial responsibilities and after these next few months my debt ratio may be too high for a LOC!

A lot of Netflix/Crave/Prime and currently listening to two audio books - Plant Paradox and The Book of Negroes. Both great!

I'm also a mature applicant so I totally understand where you're coming from. Potentially not having income is a scary thought, especially with a mortgage to pay. I keep thinking about the pros and cons of getting an acceptance this year - grateful for the guaranteed interview for next year at this point! 

I'll add those books to my list - thanks for the suggestions! Currently listening to The Nest and have White Fragility next up. 

Thanks for starting this thread OP. Glad to know I'm not the only one incessantly checking the blog. I'm an OOP, desperately hoping for an acceptance but not sure if the virtual interview format benefitted me or not and hopefully OOPs are not at an disadvantage when 1/3 of the seats are supposed to be allocated to cohort 2. I know the situation is out of my control and it's useless to worry but I can't help it. Keeping busy is hard too since COVID has taken all of my work away! 

Seems like everyone's got many things to worry about...time is going to pass no matter what and we'll know where we all stand soon enough :)

Have you guys started looking into accommodations at this point?

59 minutes ago, babakoto said:

Not that any of us would know, but do you guys think classes will start online in July? I know all UofC undergrad courses are online this summer.

Interesting. I am sure it would be quite possible. The schedule would have to be rearranged a bit. I am wondering about the second wave in the fall. Whatever happens, it will be an interesting and unique experience for all who get in.

29 minutes ago, anonymouspanda said:

Keeping busy is hard too since COVID has taken all of my work away! 

Sorry to hear that.

I was going to re-read my MCAT books to brush up on my basic sciences (I know, what the heck) but then I read a wise blog post that said while waiting to hear back you should enjoy the opportunity to read for pleasure, because once you are in, you will wish you had the time.

None of my verifiers have mentioned anything yet. Likely admissions is waiting for interview scores to be finalized, then they will start calling based on ranking. I was waitlisted last year and my verifier was contacted April 30th. Obviously, contact will be later than last year for cohort 2, so don’t worry too much!

14 hours ago, anonymouspanda said:

Have you guys started looking into accommodations at this point?

Sort of, I've been browsing but also don't want to get my hopes up. I wish we had more information about whether classes will be online for the first few months. I've heard electives are being canceled till early Fall for third years. I don't think things will be in a good place to have orientation or the sorts in July.

2 hours ago, idk105 said:

It's crazy how everything is so different than it was a month ago. Only 1 more month guys! On another note, has anyone heard if their verifiers have been contacted? Im feeling super anxious about this!

I was also thinking about this. I've heard previously that they contact randomly, irrespective of whether the applicant is successful or not. Given the shorter timelines and with the pandemic, I wonder if they'll do the same.

1 hour ago, ellie23 said:

How would it make sense that verifiers are contacted randomly? Wouldn't they go down the lis t? 

If you look in the verifiers post from last year on here, someone said they called the office and the office said they randomly contact verifiers after the acceptance list is already finalized. I.e. both people who were rejected and accepted get their verifiers contacted. I believe Dr.W also mentioned this previously on the blog?

So basically don't get your hopes up either way, all we can do is wait til May 11th! 

On 4/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, hopingformd said:

thanks for starting this thread Heme! 

Don't even have anything to talk about, but that hasn't stopped me from checking the blog daily.  I've been overanalyzing my responses to the virtual interview; felt really calm during and after it, but now the doubt is creeping in. 

Likewise! Hard not to relive it and obsess over your answers. I read elsewhere in the forum that McMaster University is closing campus for all of September. Any one know what the larger UofC campus is doing? I'm wondering if UofC med is planning to take things online as well. 

1 hour ago, Air2222 said:

That's what it sounded like to me. It wasn't a super comprehensive article..

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-post-secondary-schools-eyeing-online-courses-through-2020-1.4898107

Interesting! Thanks so much for sharing the link. I can understand why the schools may be hesitant in having in-person classes. I'm hoping UofC med will be able to share more information on this soon. 

26 minutes ago, idk105 said:

Does anyone know what the video that the first years sent is about? I didn't receive a video.... It was mentioned by someone in the blog post

Yeah it was just the video that the first years make that they usually show on the MMI day! They emailed it to all of the virtual MMI participants.

God I feel freaking insane, I've been checking the blog like 20 times a day even though there is nothing anyone could possibly say on there to make me feel better haha. Anyways, I just needed to vent. The wait until interviews felt so short for me because I'm always so busy during the semester, so this in comparison just feels like forever.