Premed 101 Forums

Can we apply to McGill med in the 3rd year of our bachelors degree?!

TheHopefulMD

Hey guys! I'm not sure if this question has already been posted on here but I was wondering if anyone maybe knew the answer to my question. So, as someone who has completed Grade 12 (since I'm from Ontario), will I be eligible to apply to McGill med in the 3rd year of my Bachelors degree? Most degrees here are completed in 4 years but let's just say that I can finish my degree in 3 years right, will I be able to apply in my 3rd year? McGill does say this on their website though "A 120 credit (4-year) or equivalent Bachelor's degree from a recognized, accredited institution, in any discipline" which is why I am not sure if I'll be allowed to apply as a 3rd year applicant.

As long as you have a 120-credit completed degree you are eligible. The "4 year" thing is probably not important and just there to help applicants understand what a 120-credit degree represents. That being said, 120-credit degrees are made to be completed in 4 years, not 3. Rushing through might do you more harm than good by dropping your GPA because you'll be needing to take more courses per semester. Some required courses may just not be offered in the semester you were wanting to take it in either. 

There are only a few schools that take applicants that have not finished their fourth year of undergrad, and McGill is not one of them. 

Plus, all first year courses in Ontario are not considered by McGill, because they are the equivalent of Cegep (or year 0 in the workbook) so you have to be finishing your credits 90 to 120 during your application year to be eligible. Also, watch out with summer classes, some Ontarian med schools don’t consider them so you might be sabotaging your chances to these schools.

20 minutes ago, Médicomage said:

Plus, all first year courses in Ontario are not considered by McGill, because they are the equivalent of Cegep (or year 0 in the workbook) so you have to be finishing your credits 90 to 120 during your application year to be eligible. Also, watch out with summer classes, some Ontarian med schools don’t consider them so you might be sabotaging your chances to these schools.

I think first year courses are taken into consideration. I did high school+uni in Alberta and I'm pretty sure my first year courses counted in my cGPA for McGill. 

2 minutes ago, KitKatCo said:

I think first year courses are taken into consideration. I did high school+uni in Alberta and I'm pretty sure my first year courses counted in my cGPA for McGill. 

Maybe for Alberta it’s different?

At the end of my mcgill academic workbook, i have 2 gpas for my Ontarian bachelor degree: one higher « local gpa », which includes first year grades and one « medicine gpa », which is lower and doesn’t include first year grades. So probably they’ll take the « local gpa » but I doubt it. 

also, the year 0 I was referring to is the 100-level course or U0 they talk about in the workbook guidelines, not the 000-level. In Quebec, University starts at the 200-level. Cegep is 100-level and McGill don’t look at 100-level grades for university applicants, because it wouldn’t be fair to Quebec university applicants. I had to clarify this while filing out my academic workbook.

1 hour ago, Médicomage said:

Maybe for Alberta it’s different?

At the end of my mcgill academic workbook, i have 2 gpas for my Ontarian bachelor degree: one higher « local gpa », which includes first year grades and one « medicine gpa », which is lower and doesn’t include first year grades. So probably they’ll take the « local gpa » but I doubt it. 

also, the year 0 I was referring to is the 100-level course or U0 they talk about in the workbook guidelines, not the 000-level. In Quebec, University starts at the 200-level. Cegep is 100-level and McGill don’t look at 100-level grades for university applicants, because it wouldn’t be fair to Quebec university applicants. I had to clarify this while filing out my academic workbook.

That's wild! I guess I never noticed. I always thought the 2 GPAs was to show the final conversion ex: if your school uses a 4.3 scale.  It would make sense re: CEGEP, but it's super weird they don't mention it anywhere.

1 hour ago, KitKatCo said:

That's wild! I guess I never noticed. I always thought the 2 GPAs was to show the final conversion ex: if your school uses a 4.3 scale.  It would make sense re: CEGEP, but it's super weird they don't mention it anywhere.

Yeah you’re correct about the local Gpa being for whatever scale and instuitional Gpa you have and the second one that’s converted to McGill scale ( the one that they’ll use). I’m fairly certain medicomage is just wrong about the first year grades not being included. For a 4 year 120 credit degree all grades are evaluated, even the 100 levels. It’s only if you did classes at cégep are the grades not included. In that case only the 90 credits you do in uni get evaluated. But they’re wrong tho, I did 90 credits and did 100 level at McGill and it’s part of my Gpa for McGill. They even clarified it in the prerequisites section where if you did your prerequisites in cégep the grades don’t count towards Gpa but if you did them in uni they absolutely do count towards Gpa and they’re 100 level classes just like your other uni first year classes. So there’s no way they don’t evaluate them 

5 hours ago, KitKatCo said:

Then my local gpa would have been out of 10, not out of 4, because the scale used at uOttawa is out of 10.

I’m just sharing what the adcom told me to explain why I had two gpas out of 4 at the end of my workbook. They might have been a bit confused with my complicated academic background though.

oh well... que sera sera!