Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021

Timestamp: 8:37 am

Interview: Yes

OMSAS GPA: 4.05 (Master's boost)

Context: Born and raised in NO, moved to southern ON for my BSc and MSc

EC: Research heavy (publications, posters presentations, undergraduate research scholarship, national graduate research scholarship, and currently working in a lab), long term volunteering, many leadership and mentoring experiences. 

Non-trad?: No

# application cycles: 3rd application and 3rd interview

Interview details: March 7 @ 10.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:14 AM, smolandfeisty said:

Hi all! Does anyone know how roughly many OOP/Non-NO students NOSM interviews each year? 

Not many I bet but I’m curious too. I’ve seen people throw around the stat that 90% of NOSM students are from NO and 10% from rural SO, but never anything about OOP applicants. Whether it’s in terms of the interview invite or acceptances.

2 hours ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

Not many I bet but I’m curious too. I’ve seen people throw around the stat that 90% of NOSM students are from NO and 10% from rural SO, but never anything about OOP applicants. Whether it’s in terms of the interview invite or acceptances.

Yes I have heard similar stats! I'm curious to know if even at the interview stage it's more difficult to secure an acceptance for those of us who are not from Ontario... I'm a bit nervous about that 

1 hour ago, smolandfeisty said:

Yes I have heard similar stats! I'm curious to know if even at the interview stage it's more difficult to secure an acceptance for those of us who are not from Ontario... I'm a bit nervous about that 

I wonder if they have an acceptance cut-off like other schools with strong IP bias (ex.: max 5-6 OOP seats), but it’s not written anywhere that I know of so I assumed they don’t.  It’s pure speculation... but perhaps they try to invite a certain proportion of OOP that fit their mission to a T and then assess equally post interview, all from the same pile. 

Or maybe not. Who knows. All we can do is give it our best shot - knowing may just cause more stress if anything.

11 hours ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

I wonder if they have an acceptance cut-off like other schools with strong IP bias (ex.: max 5-6 OOP seats), but it’s not written anywhere that I know of so I assumed they don’t.  It’s pure speculation... but perhaps they try to invite a certain proportion of OOP that fit their mission to a T and then assess equally post interview, all from the same pile. 

The one thing I was able to find was on their class profiles -- they seem to accept between 5-7 OOP students every year so I'd imagine they "hold" that many OOP seats each cycle. Their mandate seems to suggest that too, as they were created to serve the needs of NO, which is of course a worthwhile initiative. So I think they definitely prioritize IP students, much like most other Canadian med schools!