Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021

Timestamp: 7:35 am

Interview: Yes

OMSAS GPA: 3.73

Context: Born and raised in NWO. Population less than 1000.

EC: Varied sports, volunteering, shadowing, one small research publication, and dedicated employment in my NWO community. 

Non-trad?: No

# application cycles: 3rd application, 3rd interview invite (Let's hope 3rd times the charm!)

Interview details: March 6 @ 10.

Timestamp: 8:27 am

Interview: Regret

OMSAS GPA: 3.8

Stream : Francophone 

Context: lived the past years in Eastern Ontario not in a remote community

EC: Extremely varied  experience - currently an RN

# application cycles: This is my first.

Non-trad, 25 + with 2 Undergraduate degrees 

Best of luck to everyone else ! 

Timestamp: 9:00am

Interview: invite

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

Context- lived in NO for 7 years, moved away for undergrad 

ECs - multiple publications, presentations, conferences and posters. VP of grad student council, involved in various community outreach organizations, tons of sport related things

# of application cycle- 3rd time applying to NOSM

Non-trad - finishing my PhD this april 

Timestamp: 9:17 am

Interview: Yes!
GPA: OMSAS 3.38 - my biggest weakness 
Context: Born and raised NO, Indigenous, lived in remote community on reserve

EC: varied, RN, working with Indigenous communities 
Non-trad?: no
# of previous applications: this is my second application, interviewed last year as well

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sunday March 7 1pm

SO EXCITED!!!

Timestamp: 8:34 

GPA: 3.83

Context: rural Nova Scotia from grade 9+ Then moved to Northern Ontario in 2020 

ECs: Nursing background, research projects x 2, various club, activities and organizations 

Non-trad?: 

# of previous applications: 2 (interviewed in 2018 and 2020) 

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 7 at 10 AM

ps. Does anyone know if the time stamp matters? Also! Does anyone want to practice together? If so then email me! Rahmantasmiah@gmail.com

Timestamp: 8:44

GPA: OMSAS 3.53 + 0.2 Master's boost = 3.73
Context: Lived in a larger Northern city for my entire life, including University for both Undergrad and Master's
ECs: very varied, lots of employment, long term volunteering (5+years), SSHRC, sports, clubs/committees
Non-trad?: Yes - Master's degree and am also a teacher (science undergrad though)
# of previous applications: 2

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sunday March 7th at 10am

4 minutes ago, medicalschooldreamer said:

SO EXCITED!!!

Timestamp: 8:34 

GPA: 3.83

Context: rural Nova Scotia from grade 9+ Then moved to Northern Ontario in 2020 

ECs: Nursing background, research projects x 2, various club, activities and organizations 

Non-trad?: 

# of previous applications: 2 (interviewed in 2018 and 2020) 

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 7 at 10 AM

ps. Does anyone know if the time stamp matters? Also! Does anyone want to practice together? If so then email me! Rahmantasmiah@gmail.com

I think the timestamp corresponds to interview time! Me and you were very close and we have the same interview time :) And there are people after us in the next slot! Although it seems they also sent out Rejections right in the middle, which is odd

I promised myself I would post no matter what. Hopefully this will help other rural OOP applicants in future years. 

Timestamp: 0926
Interview: No
OMSAS GPA: 3.72
Context: Born and raised rural OOP (Alberta), not northern. Population less 200. 120km from large centre (~1 million population). Community qualifies for significant rural physicians stipend in AB and is considered rural by StatsCanada. High school (clasified in AB by size) 1A (smallest). Moved to large AB urban centre for post secondary. Returned rural for work x 2 years , then back to large urban city (husband completing his schooling here).

EC: BScN Honors. Multiple research awards, multiple presentations (local, national, and international, and 2 peer-reviewed publications. Research emphasis rural and indigenous. Work as RN x 5 years (charge nurse at rural hospital, urban ER, urban community care case manager. Family caregiver (now bereaved). Extra-curricular: (signficiant leadership with church group x5years), leadership with running (coach and non-profit x5 years), leadership with nursing (multiple committees and union local over past 5 years, piano (15+ years), curling (10+ years), cancer support group (volunteer 1 year), animal shelter volunteer (in various communities x 4 years)
Interview details: NA
Non-traditional
Times Applied: 0

Timestamp: 7:20

GPA: OMSAS : 3.96
Context: Francophone applicant ; Lived in a larger Northern city for my entire life, including during university
ECs: very varied, volunteer heavy such as with marginalized populations, francophone populations & within my university, employment with children, nursing background.
# of previous applications: 0 (first application!)

Interview Location/Date/Time: Saturday the 6th, 10 AM

Timestamp: 7:41am

GPA: 3.92
Context: Lived in NO whole life but not rural, went to SO for uni (lived in NO for summer)
ECs: Research + NSERC, hospital volunteer, shadowed physiotherapist, club exec at uni, residence advisor, with some other random ECs
# of previous applications: 0

Interview Location/Date/Time: Online, March 6 (Sat) at 10am

Timestamp: 5:12 Alaska ST

Interview: Yes!!!!
GPA: I believe OMSAS gave me a 3.92
Context: Francophone, rural-ish upbringing in QC, planter in northern Ontario then lived & worked in Northern BC. Spent the last 9 years in Alaska most of it pretty rural.
ECs: Some research, Multicultural student advocate work, Food pantry work, president of honor society, but not a ton of hours at each. Long term experience running a professional sled dog kennel. Valedictorian for my associate degree & some other awards and grants.
Non-trad?: Yeah 30 w/ 2 kids.
# of previous applications: 0 but applied everywhere in Canada this year and already received rejections at most. Applied in QC last year.

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 7 @ 1

Honestly after so many rejections this year I didn’t expect anything. Pleasantly surprised. To everyone who hasn’t received one, don’t give up. You are qualified and you’ve worked hard. The Canadian system is frankly ridiculous and not getting an interview the first time is certainly not a reflection of your quality as an applicant and as a person. 

Timestamp: 7:32 am

GPA: 3.87 
Context: Indigenous. Born and raised in northern Ontario. Moved to central Ontario at 18 for university and have been here ever since 
ECs: Lots of long-term employment, hobbies, sports, etc. Travel. Scholarships and awards. Some unique/odd hobbies. Nothing too crazy 
# of previous applications: 3. This is my 4th time interviewing with NOSM

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 6th at 10 am

Timestamp: 8:56 am
GPA: 3.54 
Context: Indigenous, Francophone stream. Rural eastern Quebec under 2000 but in urban area for last 6 years for undergrad & Master's. 
ECs: Aerospace engineering work for a couple years, sat on Senate and president a of a club during undergrad, a few publications & patents, founded a company aiming to reduce errors in the ER, a few scholarships, caretaker for family members with autism, and a few hobbies related to aviation & sports. 
# of previous applications: This is my first time. Will be trying again next year!

Best of luck everyone!

Timestamp: 9:06AM
GPA: 3.71 
Context: Born and raised in NWO (Tbay area) but completed my UG and MPH in Southern Ontario 
# of previous applications: 3 (received interviews the past two cycles)

Really disappointed to say the least. For those repeat applicants, don't take your interview spot for granted.
Good luck everyone! 

Still shaking/in shock:

Timestamp: 9:15 am EST
GPA: 3.81 for OMSAS
Context: Rural upbringing in western Canada until I went to university, student with disabilities. Extensive volunteerism/work & advocacy with both indigenous groups & persons with disabilities. Some research including a prestigious award/scholarship, several scholarships/awards during my undergrad, held a job throughout my undergrad to pay rent/etc. Currently working as a Registered Nurse in a rural community. I wrote my essays from the heart & quite emotionally.
# of previous applications: Second app to NOSM, no interview last year. 

DON'T GIVE UP <3 So far I have received rejections at 2 other schools this cycle. 

Timestamp: 8:41 am

GPA: OMSAS 3.66 +0.2 boost (3.86)

Context: Moderate size community in Northern Ontario, but not super rural. Have served as a healthcare provider in Northern Ontario and my extended family all live much further north than I.

ECs: Currently working full time clinically in acute care as an allied health professional. I have work experience in pediatric clinics, community care, private practice, long term care, pharmacy tech in high school. I enjoy doing a lot of mentoring and guiding other undergrad/high school students who want to get into my profession. I work as a clinical educator for McMaster, U of T, Western and Georgian College. I've helped to establish health care programs and initiatives in my home community and my current hospital.

Non-trad?: Yes! 29 with an international masters. Have been working in allied health for 5 years.

# of previous applications: 2, wait-listed once

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 7 at 10 am

Good luck everyone! Do you think we will get to interact at all following the interviews during the Q and A/student presentations?

[I promised I would post. So here it goes]:

Timestamp: 8:38 AM

GPA: 3.5 + 0.2 Masters Boost
Context: Mostly Southern Ontario, but lived in rural NS for 4 years (<7000 population)
ECs: Diverse leadership experiences at local and national level, part of various student clubs and intramural teams, 2 research publications + 2 research projects (notable publications include 1 on indigenous access to healthcare and another on minority immigrants), had a past student placement funded by NOSM, international health student delegate x3

Non-trad?: Yes - 26 with 2 years of work experience in a hospital as an allied healthcare professional
# of previous applications: This is my first at NOSM. Second time at all schools.

Due to my low MCAT scores and previous short experience of working up north, I wanted to give NOSM a shot.
I had great references including a dean from health sciences.
With this rejection, I realize the importance of context and the social mandate for NOSM.
Everyone who got an interview - I wish you all good luck!