Premed 101 Forums

How are Canadian dental schools in terms of quality of education?

On 1/21/2021 at 6:32 PM, DentalApplicant2021 said:

Agreed. The dentists I shadowed were UBC grads and told me the same. I applied to both US and Canadian schools. recently accepted my offer in Canada. Very thankful as I can save lots in tuition and cost of living. 

I've also noticed many job ads for associateships they want people with at least 3-5 years experience.  So, that tells you the owner has had bad experience with new grads in that they're unprepared. But then again, people with experience tend to realize most associateships suck, so they go out and buy their own office.

Congrats to getting into dental school!

On 1/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mauricio45 said:

Apparently, the schools in the prairies really prepare you well.  UBC, I've heard new grads aren't fully prepared and they charge the most out of all the schools.

Does anyone know how Toronto and Western their education was/is like?

Quality of education in Canada is overall very good. The best clinical experience you will get is if you go to a school with less (or no) specialty programs and this applies to the US as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll throw in my 2 cents here

I went to a rural dental school in Australia and the clinical experience was excellent. It was a 5 year program and we saw so many patients in our last year as we had no classes and just saw patients. Essentially I completed a full working year before I came back to Canada and was kind of expecting private practice to be the same. However, I soon realized private practice is VERY different from school. Based on my experience, I've spoken to multiple practice owners and mostly will not hire a new grad because of a few reasons: 

1. Lack of experience
2. Lack of communication skills 
3. Doesn't really understand how the dental industry works and how a dental business runs

A few owners are shocked that some grads who are 3-5 years out a reluctant to do crowns or root canals and would mostly refer. Nothing wrong with referring, however in a saturated market where most practices want to retain procedures in house this is where issues arise.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, cookiemonster99 said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents here

I went to a rural dental school in Australia and the clinical experience was excellent. It was a 5 year program and we saw so many patients in our last year as we had no classes and just saw patients. Essentially I completed a full working year before I came back to Canada and was kind of expecting private practice to be the same. However, I soon realized private practice is VERY different from school. Based on my experience, I've spoken to multiple practice owners and mostly will not hire a new grad because of a few reasons: 

1. Lack of experience
2. Lack of communication skills 
3. Doesn't really understand how the dental industry works and how a dental business runs

A few owners are shocked that some grads who are 3-5 years out a reluctant to do crowns or root canals and would mostly refer. Nothing wrong with referring, however in a saturated market where most practices want to retain procedures in house this is where issues arise.

Really?? I've never heard of dentists 3-5 years out reluctant to do crowns.  They are truly bread and butter.   Root canals, especially if they're molars, many general dentists don't do them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of a few who were out 3-5 years, however they weren't practicing full time when they graduated and had other things in their life that made them not practice as much. I.e kids, marriage etc. Maybe that explains it. However, some of these grads just want a "chill" schedule, and just want to sit back and think "i made it" i'm entitled to high pay. 

Well...sorry to burst some people's bubble, dentistry is an entrepreneural professional. You have to find your own work and convince patients that what you're doing for them is in their best interest and make them want to pay for it.