Premed 101 Forums

2021 MMI Experiences and thoughts

37 minutes ago, Bulb said:

I thought basically every station or even question was on the same theme if not almost a straight repetition. I know it's very important but by the end I felt like I was repeating myself and unable to showcase my thoughts and reactions to so many other things that are important for a medical student.

I totally agree. I literally just said the same thing again and again for 2.5 hours. Tbh disappointed because there are so many other valuable skills and competencies of a physician that weren't addressed at all because there were 5 stations on the same topic. Not sure how applicants are supposed to make themselves stand out with the questions this year.

46 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

I totally agree. I literally just said the same thing again and again for 2.5 hours. Tbh disappointed because there are so many other valuable skills and competencies of a physician that weren't addressed at all because there were 5 stations on the same topic. Not sure how applicants are supposed to make themselves stand out with the questions this year.

Also felt like you couldn’t make your self stand out because you had to spend at least 2-2.5 minutes answering the actual question - without any time to actually reflect on what the station was assessing in with your own experiences.

15 hours ago, WpgJets said:

Also felt like you couldn’t make your self stand out because you had to spend at least 2-2.5 minutes answering the actual question - without any time to actually reflect on what the station was assessing in with your own experiences.

In my opinion, if you didn’t even have personal experiences with these topics (and I doubt most applicants do at our age, meaningful ones at least) you were screwed. So disappointed that basically all 18 questions were on the same thing - there are more roles of a physician than just advocacy. Questions were way different than last year. 

2 hours ago, User6 said:

In my opinion, if you didn’t even have personal experiences with these topics (and I doubt most applicants do at our age, meaningful ones at least) you were screwed. So disappointed that basically all 18 questions were on the same thing - there are more roles of a physician than just advocacy. Questions were way different than last year. 

Absolutely. It was so hard to integrate personal experience and really hard to do much to make yourself stand out. I'm very frustrated that they didn't explore almost any other of the many roles there are to being a physician.

I agree with most of the sentiment. I had a lot of personal experiences which related but I felt like I realllllly had to stretch it sometimes to build upon previous answers since all three in a station were generally related to the same theme. This is my second time applying and I definitely preferred last years experience. Being prompted and actually able to engage in a discussion with someone helps bring out who you are and your experiences. I truly have no idea how they will accurately distinguish applicants and score accordingly.

Regardless, I am wishing everyone all the best and hopefully we can call each other class mates next year!

• 3 weeks later...