Premed 101 Forums

OSAP

Guest Crazyformeds

Guest Crazyformeds

Hi Guys,

I applied for OSAP the second week of June and I still haven't received any notice of assessment. The OSAP link through the UWO registrar's website says that my application has been received but has yet to be processed. I was wondering what the situation for other people was with regards to OSAP.

Thanks,

Kavitha

Guest aneliz

Have you received anything from them?

You should have received a form to sign and send back to them...other than that, it may be awhile...I haven't gotten anything other than the form to sign either.

Guest lcloh

I received my assessment just yesterday... applied for OSAP on June 30, so yours might still be on the way! I also received the signed form that Aneliz is talking about.

Guest aneliz

I applied for OSAP around mid-June...I think it was about the 18th...

Don't worry, it will come. I seem to remember getting my stuff aroiund mid-August last year. You can always call the financial aid office at UWO to check on it if you are really concerned...they are really helpful!

Guest Interleukin

I applied on WEDNESDAY July 16, and got the signature forms on MONDAY, July 21!! Pretty fast.

Got my status online at osap.gov.on.ca. Seems like the money will be there in September. (hopefully)

For upper year students: How does the tuition deferral work at UWO? Do you get charged interest and stuff?

Thanks

Guest JSS02

No, you don't get charged interest on it. You just have to pay the balance of the tuition and when the OSAP comes in it will be credited to your account.

Guest lcloh

you pay the balance before the due date on the tuition statement (less any scholarships and bursaries (which are usually already included on the tuition sheet) and less any OSAP) or you'll get a $350 late fee charged.

Guest aneliz

If you elect to pay the entire amount of your tuition in Sept (or when you get your OSAP) there is no interest or late fee (provided that you arrange to pay with UWO before the deadline! -if you don't you will get charged $350)

If you elect to pay your tuition in two lumps (2/3 in Sept and 1/3 in Jan) you will pay an 'administration fee'....but the last time I checked, paying the admin fee was cheaper than paying interest on the second payment for four months! So, it is better to do that rather than pay it all off your line of credit in Sept.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hoping

It’s my first time to qualify for osap & I’m a bit confused (make that, very confused). I went by the deadline date in OSAP's ltr:"all required supporting documentation must be submitted to your financial aid office. If you are in a one-term program (12 to 20 weeks) you must submit the documentation to your financial aid office within the first 30 days of the start of your study period. If you are in a two or three term program (21 to 52 weeks) you must submit the documentation...no later than 90 days before the end of your study period."

I was going to bring my documentation forms: declaration & signature pages (mine & parents) on Aug 27. I called UWO today & was told I SHOULD have sent these to them by June/03! Does this mean my tuition (payable) will not be adjusted to reflect any osap? Help!

Guest Interleukin

Hi, I've been talking with the registrar...

If you wish to defer tution using OSAP, the applications were to have been submitted before June 30.

If you submit them afterwards, it seems to me as though you'll have to foot the bill (first payment at least) without OSAP. It seems like administration takes forever and drags their heels. Otherwise, you can continue to check the OSAP website for something along the lines of "Error free Entitlement," which I myself have not yet seen on my records.

I'm hoping everything gets processed by September and money in hand by then. I was on the wait-list, so didn't apply until after I got my acceptance. (Mistake) Perhaps the easiest thing to do is apply for OSAP regardless...if you don't go to that school and pick up the money, you don't owe a dime!! ;)

Anyways, submit those forms ASAP to get the ball rolling in your direction earlier.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received my OSAP assessment today. I'm just curious as to what other people are receiving. I'm getting $6600 in Sept. Then $1400 in Jan along with $3000 millenium bursary. Is this standard for med students?

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes, until you've been out of High School >5 years (when you should get the max,) and dependent on Parental incomes and the like.

That's a little more than I got in 1st year. I've had the max since then.

I got the exact same assessment as I did in first year. $3600 in Sept. (loans), and $3000 in bursaries (the Millennium) in January. But I'm currently only 4 years out of high school (and had no undergrad debt) so I'm not yet entitled to the max amount...

Thanks for the replies.

What is the max amount? I've been out of high school >5years (co-op undergrad was 5 years).

Where do we pick up OSAP? Are there huge lines? Is the office open the last week of August?

Guest UWOMED2005

Max amount on 40 weeks is $10,500, I believe. 3rd year (12 months) it's $14,000.

Don't worry about long lines. The one good thing that came out of the last tuition increase is that the med students have two dedicated financial aid reps. I think they book appointments in September to go over OSAP, or possibly it was a simple matter of Barbara and Darla e-mailing you and giving you the forms themselves. . .

Sorry, my memory is getting foggy.

You pick up OSAP from Barbara in the UME Office (or in the Standardized Patient Room). There are no long lines. The pickup is only for students in the Faculty of Medicine (assuming, of course, that your OSAP has arrived. Wait for Barbara's e-mail saying that it has done so...)

As a note, I also received 6600 last year.

Cheers!

Archived