Premed 101 Forums

8 hours ago, Fendi87464 said:

Hey guys, hope your interview season is going well.

I have an interview at USask as an Ontario applicant. I know the decision for OOP is 100% interview score. Looking at past years, it seems they interview ~60 OOP and ~6 accept. 

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of approximately how many of the 60 interviewees get offers? I'm sure it should be more than 6. 

Just feeling like I don't have a very good shot :(

Thanks!

If you do a little math based on some numbers found in the AFMC admission requirements document, it seems like the number of offers is generally in the high 20s or low 30s for OOP. If you pass the OOP MMI cutoff of the 40th percentile, you have a very good chance of getting an acceptance.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, naptime98 said:

If you do a little math based on some numbers found in the AFMC admission requirements document, it seems like the number of offers is generally in the high 20s or low 30s for OOP. If you pass the OOP MMI cutoff of the 40th percentile, you have a very good chance of getting an acceptance.

Can you send that document? 

1 hour ago, minahg said:

Thanks! So that says 6.1% in 2019 and there were 262 OOP applicants last year according to USask's 5-year doc. Doesn't that make it 16 OOP offers, not 28-32? 

So the way I did it was:

x= proportion of applicants who are OOP, y=proportion of applicants who are IP

x+y=1

x=1-y

Overall success rate= (OOP applicant proportion x OOP success rate) + (IP applicant proportion x IP success rate)

15.9= (6.1x) + (33.6y)

15.9= (6.1)(1-y)+33.6y

15.9=6.1-6.1y+33.6y

9.8=27.5y

y=35.6%

x=64.4%

OOP applicants = x*820

OOP applicants=528

OOP acceptances= 0.061*528=32

I see what you're saying about the numbers not lining up with Saskatchewan's 5 year doc. I think the most recent cycle on the admissions requirements page is actually the year listed under 2018 on the 5 year doc as that makes the most sense with the data provided, and the total number of applicants is equal there. This means that there was actually 513 OOP applicants, and therefore ~31 acceptances.

You need to match the years by looking at the number of applicants. AFMC and Sask have different definitions of application year. There were 520 OOP applicants for the year with the 6.1 rate.

The 28-32 isn’t entirely accurate because it includes indigenous applicants who are treated as IP for admission purposes but counted as OOP for admission rate and AFMC data. OOP indigenous applicants have a 65-70 percent success rate after interviews and are invited by clearing the IP GPA and MCAT minimums of 75 percent and approximately 495 so there a good number of them. The number of non indigenous OOP that are given offers is probably around 20-25 and depends on the yield at Western and Manitoba. 

6 minutes ago, zoxy said:

You need to match the years by looking at the number of applicants. AFMC and Sask have different definitions of application year. There were 520 OOP applicants for the year with the 6.1 rate.

The 28-32 isn’t entirely accurate because it includes indigenous applicants who are treated as IP for admission purposes but counted as OOP for admission rate and AFMC data. OOP indigenous applicants have a 65-70 percent success rate after interviews and are invited by clearing the IP GPA and MCAT minimums of 75 percent and approximately 495 so there a good number of them. The number of non indigenous OOP that are given offers is probably around 20-25 and depends on the yield at Western and Manitoba. 

Thank you! Both your posts make sense. I agree.