Premed 101 Forums

Board Exams

I've heard this too and I'm worried since I'll be taking the one in May. My classmates say that they believe that the scores weren't adjusted this year and that is why the pass rate was so low. I'm thinking that the scores may not have been adjusted due to NDEB trying to rush release the scores before the deadline to register for the upcoming May exam. Hopefully, they'll change their scoring metric or something for May as a ~35% pass rate is pretty embarrassing for them.

Addendum* I have learned that McGill's pass rate is not 35% but rather 58%. 

12 hours ago, QWERTY123456789 said:

Sorry. I may have exaggerated. I've heard from a classmate that McGill University had ~ 35% pass rate and at my school, it was about ~18% pass rate (out of 17 students), so I assumed that it must be really low in around that range.

What school do you attend? I find this number hard to believe, at least for a Canadian school.

My class seemed to do fairly well. I've heard schools outside of Ontario had poor results. I do think the grades were adjusted otherwise I'm sure the pass rate would have been significantly lower on that exam.

22 hours ago, dentistrydmd said:

First time the exam was digital. Reduced class time and clinical experience due to covid. 

It was still on paper.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, green22 said:

Are you able to take the boards while still in dental school or do you have to be already graduated? For example, in your fourth year can you take the November or March exams before you graduate or is May the only option?

If you're in Canada you typically register for the March exam in your 4th year. 

Exam was not digital. The Osce was paper based which is a change from every other year, likely why so many failures. Exam is always curved. Word is my school hasn't had a single Osce failure in over 20 years, apparently there were multiple this year. Who knows what happened :confused:

On 5/7/2021 at 2:23 AM, Anti_Dentite said:

If you're in Canada you typically register for the March exam in your 4th year. 

Exam was not digital. The Osce was paper based which is a change from every other year, likely why so many failures. Exam is always curved. Word is my school hasn't had a single Osce failure in over 20 years, apparently there were multiple this year. Who knows what happened :confused:

Man this is long long time ago for me, but I doubt they changes much.  Typically Canadian dents school had a high pass rate (reason for failure, forgot the exam, start the answer on the wrong slots on the OSCE), and but there are high failure rates on international school

On 4/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, QWERTY123456789 said:

I've heard this too and I'm worried since I'll be taking the one in May. My classmates say that they believe that the scores weren't adjusted this year and that is why the pass rate was so low. I'm thinking that the scores may not have been adjusted due to NDEB trying to rush release the scores before the deadline to register for the upcoming May exam. Hopefully, they'll change their scoring metric or something for May as a ~35% pass rate is pretty embarrassing for them.

Addendum* I have learned that McGill's pass rate is not 35% but rather 58%. 

Where did you get these numbers from?

On 5/16/2021 at 10:26 AM, orgolover said:

Call me naive but I always thought that Canadian NBDE isn't that hard to begin with. I guess I am in for a surprise in few years!

19 hours ago, Anti_Dentite said:

Canadian NDEB is way more difficult than the US NBDE. Ask anyone who has taken both. 

NDEB is much much harder than the US NBDE exam. Most Dental students in the states pass their licensing exam in term 1 of fourth year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, ApplicationTrismus said:

For those who wrote in March & May of 2021, any advice for students writing in November of 2021 (assuming it's going to be similar format of paper written and OSCE); what are the ideal resources to be used for each?

I would love some input as well! And I would also appreciate if anyone could share any files they found helpful too! Thanks in advance :rolleyes: