Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

2 hours ago, zerochance said:

Curious why you picking PT over OT?  Just general interest?

It was honestly such a difficult decision as I could see myself doing either and I am so beyond grateful to have had the opportunity to consider both! I work as a Medical First Responder and enjoy the process of diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal injuries which is more within the scope of practice of PTs. That being said, the adaptations and modifications OTs make so that patients can safely and comfortably complete ADLs are so so important and I look forward to collaboratively working with OTs in the future! Good luck to you and everyone else here :)

On 4/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, albertahopefulOT said:

It has said mid-May for years, they haven't changed it. It's on the application review page on their website for OT. In 2020 they sent it out April 23rd or so I believe, last year they sent it out on the 29th. So it could be anywhere from this week to mid May I would assume. I don't think it'll get much more clear! 

Also for the conditional acceptance I would assume so long as it doesn't vary a ton from your current GPA you're good. B+ should be fine but considering where you're sitting I'm sure you'll do better. I found the final for anatomy very fair. I think I got an 89 on it! Good luck! :)

9 minutes ago, Otapplicant22 said:

Anyone have any info on when we will possibly hear from UofA OT? I know their website says Mid-May but others have said around end of April?

I asked this question last week and someone responded with this :) hoping for next friday lol 

On 4/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, PTTTTTl9987 said:

Hey guys! I’m currently in my first year of Western PT. If you have any questions about the program send me a message!

Thank you for what you're sharing with us. I will be attending Western PT this fall and heard that there are chats for housing and finding roommates within our class/cohort. Would appreciate your input on this. 

49 minutes ago, gonnagetOT said:

Does anyone know what would be a good GPA for UofT OT? I know that they value GPAs a little heavily compared to some other schools

Hi! Did you apply for this cycle? 
I knew an OT student at UoT, she in her last year rn. She told me at that time, her GPA was in the 3.7x range and she got accepted, she didn’t tell me exactly what it was. She also had very good reference letters from the prof who she was working with during summer. That’s all I know!

I also applied this year and I am so worried. Finger-crossed!

On 4/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, HopefulPT2024 said:

Hey thanks so much for doing this! I have a question about Western's PT program specifically. I don't remember where I heard this so I'm not sure how credible the source is haha but I heard that Western is planning on keeping lectures ASYNC online to allow for people to watch at their own pace and rewatch the lectures if necessary. Labs and clinical experiences would still be in person but lectures would be online. Is this how the program is set up right now for you? Do you know if this is what they are planning on doing? Any insight would be helpful because like I said I don't know how true the information that I heard is haha!

Hello! Our program is currently fully in person (classes and labs), however, sometimes the professors will mix in synchronous zoom sessions or asynchronous sessions occasionally. During COVID all of our classes were online but this was only due to COVID.

Some classes have more online components than others but this depends on the class. I don't know what Western's plans are for sure, but from what I have heard they are planning to continue to offer in person classes and labs as usual, and are hoping to integrate some sort of multi-disciplinary approach in the future (ie. integrate some async/online classes in combination with in person classes/labs). Hope this helps! 

On 4/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, 4everPT said:

Thank you for what you're sharing with us. I will be attending Western PT this fall and heard that there are chats for housing and finding roommates within our class/cohort. Would appreciate your input on this. 

Hello!  A facebook group with the class will be created for students after acceptances have been sent (likely later in the summer). From my experience, in this facebook group those looking for roommates connected here to figure our housing. Western does have some facebook groups for all Western students (Roommates Wanted Western Students (UWO)) and some other sites that can also be used to find housing! 

After getting rejected for 4 years, I finally got in a PT program (QY at McGill). I guess 5 try's is all it took! I'm just posting this here as I know many of you, like myself, are anxiously waiting for the results mid May and those of you who unfortunately do get rejected should never give up hope. If PT or OT is something you truly want to pursue keep trying! Hopefully this gives someone some hope or encouragement and don't hesitate to reach out if your are struggling or need some help in this brutal process.

1 hour ago, Let_Me_in said:

After getting rejected for 4 years, I finally got in a PT program (QY at McGill). I guess 5 try's is all it took! I'm just posting this here as I know many of you, like myself, are anxiously waiting for the results mid May and those of you who unfortunately do get rejected should never give up hope. If PT or OT is something you truly want to pursue keep trying! Hopefully this gives someone some hope or encouragement and don't hesitate to reach out if your are struggling or need some help in this brutal process.

This is great and very encouraging to hear, and highlights what tremendous resilience and dedication you must have! Congrats!!

I am curious what you did in between applications and maybe what you thought helped for this successful one?

23 minutes ago, tryingPT said:

This is great and very encouraging to hear, and highlights what tremendous resilience and dedication you must have! Congrats!!

I am curious what you did in between applications and maybe what you thought helped for this successful one?

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words! 

I can make a more detailed post after the May results as I will be better equipped to determine if what I did to improve actually helped. But in short, I got a second undergrad in psychology to improve my GPA and really reflected on what qualities and skills you should have to be a good PT. What I wished I would have known earlier is that your experiences don't really matter. What matters more is what you got out of or learned from those experiences and how to best communicate that to the admissions committee.

For anyone going into the MPT program at UBC (or has an interest in applying to UBC), I am a few years out of the program and am willing to answer any questions regarding working as a PT, the program itself, and anything else. Shoot me a message :)! I remember I had soo many questions going into the program. Now that I am out, would love to help anyone who has questions.

10 hours ago, PThopeful23 said:

For anyone going into the MPT program at UBC (or has an interest in applying to UBC), I am a few years out of the program and am willing to answer any questions regarding working as a PT, the program itself, and anything else. Shoot me a message :)! I remember I had soo many questions going into the program. Now that I am out, would love to help anyone who has questions.

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out and offering your help, it's much appreciated. This isn't a question regarding the MPT program at UBC, but I was wondering if you felt prepared for the PCE/if you thought it was a significant hurdle getting into practice?